“Hotel room dismal...studio just fine”
Review of Kahana Falls

Kahana Falls
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We did a timeshare exchange and settled for a hotel room since it was all we could get. It was grim, to say the least. The room was very small and dark with one window which resembles a basement window over the bed. We couldn't open the blinds because the window opened to the outdoor walkway that hotel guests used to get back and forth to their rooms. The only seating area was at a small round table. There was a small fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker plus kitchen sink in one corner of the room with cutlery and dishes for 2. Bathroom was a good size with 2 sinks and a jacuzzi tub. We felt very claustrophobic. After 2 days, the front desk staff was able to upgrade us to a studio for an extra charge. It was like the difference between night and day. We had full kitchen, a balcony with view, full sized windows, a good sized table, a couch, and a murphy bed. Units were clean and grounds were small but well maintained. Beach access across the road led to lovely stretch of sand shared with turtles and guests from other hotels in the area. Whales were active and a joy to watch from the beach. Concierge staff at the hotel gave good advice at the morning presentation and weren't pushy at selling timeshares.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holiday-wishes
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at Kahana Falls on your recent trip to Maui! We appreciate your candid review as it provides feedback that we need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to some of our rooms. However, we are very pleased that our front desk was able to upgrade you to a larger unit for the rest of your vacation. We hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Despite our room being a little smaller than hoped - it's Maui after all - this was excellent.

From start to end, the staff were terrific - extremely hard-working and helpful. Everything is kept up round the clock. We needed a new iron because the one in the room was not working. The total delivered a working one in about two minutes.

We made good use of the BBQs - which the staff made sure were cleaned everyday.

This total is very handy to Kapalua and Kaanapali.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ToandMuskokaMan

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We very much appreciate your positive feedback about our staff. We are glad you enjoyed our comfortable and convenient location. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed in one of the lock off units and I thought it was pretty good. The pool was a bit small but I'm on an island with beaches everywhere so I really didn't go into the pool much. They also had 2 hot tubs which were great. I also was surprised that the laundry was free for guests to use

The apartment that we were in was a bit tight but we didn't spend much time there other than to sleep. it would have been nice if it had its own private lanai but that's fine that it didn't. If we where there with a larger group we could have rented the whole thing and had one.

Public beach access was great. It was right across the street and the beach over there had sea turtles almost every other day. I saw 5 sea turtles and a seal on the beach on Maui all at that beach.

Front desk was great, every thing was clean.

I used the coffee the first day and it wasn't replaced by the cleaning staff, maybe they only do that once a week. I DID find that they had coffee just around the corner at the front desk so that made me happy.

I got what I expected for the price I payed and was happy with my stay.

Stayed February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SaskSneeze
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for your candid review of your stay. We take pride in showing our guests great service and we are happy you enjoyed your time with us. We will share your feedback with our staff. Please come stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I can only speak for unit 408A (a one bedroom). Yes the rooms are a bit dark but there are lots of lights to turn on. Everything worked very well although the microwave had a few issues with some of the settings (functions locked out, they may well have good reasons for this so don't want to judge). Flat screen TV, bathtub/shower combo (I like my bathtub), comfortable bed, nice lanai (very partial ocean view but overlooked the pool). We didn't use the pool but it was clean and always lots of spots to sit out. We did use the barbeque (they do need a new instruction sheet on how to use it...one in place is faded/worn out...easy fix). The beach is only a 2 minute walk so very handy). There is a little grocery spot within a block and within a 5 minute drive there is a good Safeway(mall). Do NOT go into the hippy dippy strange and disgusting (Farmer's Market)...these are not farmers. Soup pots on counter (not even heated), non-edible food, used bags with old receipts in them. Scary staff (I know this isn't a review about the local grocery I'm just warning you). When the front desk agent says market she doesn't mean this one. Keep going.
The only issue I had was the concierge desk. Really pushy (we didn't want the orientation as we were at a wedding, everything is pre-planned) and we told them this. They called our room at 8:00 am the next morning to see if we were going. What if we were asleep after a late flight...I work at a hotel, you do not call guests at 8:00 am unless they want a wake up call. Wait until at least 9:00 or leave a note on the kitchen table before check in. We had been told it was at 9:00 am so we already new.
The resort is good value for the money for 408A. Maintenance staff (putting in new TV's) was very friendly and always had a wave and a smile.

Room Tip: Try for 408A.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Baxterthetravelguy
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. We hope you will come stay with us again on your next trip to Maui!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I am one who always gives others the benefits of doubt. I read the reviews posted, but booked anyway. Our room was sooo small you could not open your suitcase anywhere but on the bed. Very little access to the window, as we could not even lift the blind. Ants everywhere. Shower was very dark and all the seams were filled with mold. We asked for an ungrade 3 times and were told twice they were working on it, the third time was a flat NO! Spoiled our stay on Maui, no I will not be returning. Our room was booked as a deluxe queen room. Nothing deluxe about it. Terrible accommodations.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Wyona S
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Wyona,

We appreciate your open and honest feedback regarding your stay with us. We apologize the room size wasn't what you expected and that we weren't able to upgrade you to a larger room. Please feel free to email us at kfr@tradinplaces.com with your name, dates of stay, and unit number and we will be happy to address your concerns further. Your satisfaction and time are of most importance to us.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

The resort was beautiful, well maintained, clean and very close to the beach. We had a complete kitchen in our unit, plenty of space and a beautiful view. The staff was very helpful and kept the place clean.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Janka003
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Traveler,

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Kahana Falls. Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you received from our staff as we pride ourselves on superior customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Visited this resort as part of Christmas vacation. Upon entering the room, it was readily appreciated that a very strong odor of insecticide permeated the room. The aroma was overwhelming making it difficult to breathe without discomfort. Within a matter of minutes, I experienced throat discomfort, burning and swelling around the eyes and lips. I do not have either an underlying respiratory disorder or allergic condition. Quite simply,
the room was not suitable for my planned stay. In addition, the furniture was worn and decidedly outdated. I was informed at the front desk that no other accommodations were available. Without pressing the issue as well as being unwilling to further subject myself to any further potential health hazard, I sought accommodations elsewhere. It is safe to say without equivocation that I would be more than reticent to return to this facility or recommend it to family members and friends.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Giboss06

Dear Traveler,

I’m very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and choosing not to stay with us. Your concerns will be addressed with the Director of Resort Operations to ensure this situation is avoided in the future. Please feel free to contact us via email at kfr@tradingplaces.com and we will be happy to address your concerns further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Ocean Inn
#26 of 32 in Lahaina
Maui Seaside Hotel
Maui Seaside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului

Been to Kahana Falls? Share your experiences!