“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked our room six months ago and I hadn't read any reviews until right before we left. Some of the reviews scared me and I was apprehensive about staying here. Our room was small but perfect for just the two of us. The mini fridge and microwave were an awesome addition. The staff was helpful and friendly. The pool area was amazing. Now let me debunk some of the myths reported in previous reviews:

Sugar Ants-I saw one the whole week. Phew I don't like bugs.
One foot high step up into the shower-Well ya you have to step up because the tub is a JACUZZI tub, but I don't think it's a full foot.
Small-enough room for the two of us.
Dirty-No way. It was very clean.
Uncomfortable bed-We slept just fine.
Dark-our room didn't have much of a window so it was a bit dark. Next time we go we will know which rooms to request.
Paper thin walls-No more or less than any other hotel I've been in

If you want a nice place to stay this is your destination. It was convenient, economical and had tons of parking. Try it you'll like it!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Nicoleolio
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your thorough review of Kahana Falls Resort. We are happy to hear that your accommodations fit your needs just right. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
del mar, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Granted the room was small, but who plans to stay in their hotel room while on Maui. Air conditioner worked great, and was not too noisy. The hotel is right across the street from the beach, beautiful grounds, great sushi almost next door, plus mini grocery store. Everyone was very friendly from check in to check out. Microwave and refrigerator in the room, pools, jacuzzi and beautiful koi pond. Lots of available parking. This was very nearby a wedding I was attending, and 1/4 the cost of other hotels. I would gladly stay again!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank lc92014
Thank you for your review of Kahana Falls Resort. We strive to provide our guests with the comforts of home while enjoying the thrill of a vacation. We're happy to hear you loved the location and the rooms fit your needs. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Although it was lovely to be greeted by two cats as we drove up to the lobby, and who later awarded us mice they caught, this place never got better than that. The room was dated, the furniture extensively scratched and beat up, microwave from the 70's and really ugly decor. Uncomfortable queen bed, flat dead pillows, very, very small room, no place for suitcases. Outlets didn't work, light bulbs out, hair dryer broken, key difficult. Wi fi awful. Dark room looking over parking lot. Absolutely awful. Asked for help will all of above and received nothing. Used our exchange to get out of there quick!
Big mistake even considering it!

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dncgsprt
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Thank you for your review. Kahana Falls was built in 1992. A few items on our property are still the original equipment from that time period. We are currently working to update and improve the resort by doing a progressive upgrade of all areas around the property. We are replacing appliances as they go out (it is amazing how old appliances seem to keep working forever, compared to modern ones that are only made to last 6 - 8 years in a commercial setting). We have replaced a very large number of the old appliances and are taking measures to speed up the replacement process. We will be replacing mattresses and pillows within the next 9 months. I understand your concerns about the size of the room as well as the lack of view. Yes our "Hotel Type units" are very small. Unfortunately, we are not able to do anything about the size of the room. I understand some guests do not like to unpack everything during their stay, but the best way to deal with the square footage is to unpack your belongings, then store your luggage in the closet, or if you prefer, you can have them stored for you during your stay.

In 2011, we added a Hospitality room called the "Ohana Room" which is located in the Clubhouse. The Ohana Room is a great place for all guests to enjoy, but is very useful to our Hotel unit guests. We have a living room area with a 55" t.v. that is surrounded by couches, chairs, a full Kitchen, dining area and game area (the business center and fitness center are also in this area). Most guests staying in the Hotel type units use these as a place to sleep, shower, eat breakfast/lunch etc. then go out to enjoy our beautiful island. The pool although small compared to the big hotels, is a great place to relax and enjoy to sun and/or shade while listening to the waterfalls flow. The beach being directly across the street is perfect for watching sunsets.

I'm sorry to say, for a long period during the month of August we were having difficulty with our door lock system. We were working with the manufacturer to try to diagnose the problem (they are located in the mid-west not on the islands) with trial and error replacement of different equipment. During this same time frame Time Warner (our internet provider) was having issues with their system. The good news is both of these issues have been resolved, but of course it was corrected after you left the islands. I am very sorry these difficulties occurred during your stay causing you to have to deal with both inconveniences. I am also very sorry these options were not offered to you during your stay, and will be working with the staff to ensure guests are properly informed in the future. As far as items not working and/or your room not being cleaned properly, this is not acceptable and has been taken care of with the appropriate persons. I am very sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay at Kahana Falls and wish you happy vacationing in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you like to have a little peace and quiet Kahana Falls is for you. It is not on the beach, but the beach is only about a block away. There is a small pool. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. We had two units, one in Hilo Kipa and an A unit in the tower. Both were clean and well equipped. Your towels and trash are picked up every day if you so desire. As owners we have used our unit 7 times in the last 15 years. I don't know where the negative reviews are coming from. We own one unit (HK) and exchanged a B unit in a major timeshare resort in Branson for an A unit at Kahana Falls.

Room Tip: If you need a little room to spread out, then exchange for a unit in HK or an A unit. I agree that...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Don_Amy2014
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your raving 5 star review of Kahana Falls Resort. We strive to keep our resort looking beautiful and our guests happy and comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back many more times in the future.
Bessemer, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just got back from Maui and Kahana Falls. 07/10/-17/14 Cant think of any thing good to say about this place.
This was a time share trade for us, had to put up two weeks to get one week at Kahana Falls(what a ripp off ) The picture in there adds for the resort are not what you get, my room was mabe 11x12 with a worn out bed that had a sagg in the middle of the mattress of at least 3inches.
The bath tub was worn out the surface of the tub was discolored beyound cleaning, the blinds didn't work, the A/C needed to be replaced, and was installed in the center wall and blew down on the bed, the bamboo floors were beyound filty and could not be cleaned (i tried) Lizzards could and did walk under the door at will the gap was so high.After two days of complaining they moved me to another room, it was better but still smaller than my bath room at home. I still had a 3/4 gap under the door and and the A/C blew down on the bed, floors could not be cleaned, but the bed was better. Best part of this tirp was leaving Kahana Falls.

Room Tip: best way to get a good room is to book it some where else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
12 Thank Ozzie J
I am sorry you had an unhappy stay at Kahana Falls. Our website shows pictures of all the unit types: Hotel, Studio, Hale Kipa, 1 bedroom, and 2 bedroom. From your description of the size of the room, I am guessing you booked a Hotel Type unit. Yes, these units are quite small at 268 sq. ft. and are not for everyone.

We are currently working to update and improve the resort by doing a progressive upgrade of all areas around the property. We have been replacing the A/C units for several years and are almost finished. If/when the A/C units blow in an unwanted direction, the guest can manually move the louvers up or down to change the direction. I am sorry no one explained this to you, as it would have made sleeping much more enjoyable with the A/C aimed toward the ceiling or floor instead of directly on you. I will make sure the staff is aware of this and they pass the information on to the guests as needed. One of the next replacement items will be the mattresses and pillows another is the blinds. Gecko’s (lizards) are something we deal with everywhere on the islands. They can get in places no matter how big or small the opening is. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We leave tomorrow for three weeks at Honokeana Cove and that is not a moment too soon. I agree with MarcyA1 as too condition and ant problem. Could not believe the extra $140 charge on arrival considering the condition of the resort and the fact that the internet was down part or all of every day.. We had a strange 1 bedroom configuration which was actual a combination of hotel room and a studio. It worked by keeping both entry doors open but in no way would I ever stay in either of them as a separate unit. We had to wash our hands after touching the kitchen doors because they were so dirty and in horrible condition. There is a great beach across the street, many food services in walking distance and the pool area was quiet and maintained. We have stayed in at least 15 different time shares and rental on Maui over the years and this is the only one I would stay away from. It actually deserves a score lower then a 1.

Room Tip: high floor and no less then a full 1 bedroom
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Arizonatravelers89
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Kahana Falls. When you booked your stay you should have been informed of the $130 resort fee, as we never want anyone to be surprised by this fee at check-in. The configuration of the type of unit you stayed in is definitely different. Some guests really like it, some do not. The issue with the uncleanliness is completely unacceptable and has been addressed. I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy the pool and surrounding area. We hope to possibly have you back in the near future.
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Brought daughter visiting from Louisiana here to Maui for a first time visit and sweet 16 birthday celebration. Traded my 3 bedroom/Red week timeshare with RCI for this place. What a waste of money and a joke! The room is so outdated and tiny that it is almost impossible for two average sized women to navigate without bumping into each other. No view or even a WINDOW...with a view. The one window you are allowed is overlooking the walkway to the parking lot. Discovered sugar ants on the second day of our "stay" and requested that they be addressed. We left the entire day to allow them to spray or whatever and for the insecticide to dissipate before our return. Nothing was done, small black ants all over soap in bathroom, counter in "kitchenette", night table, etc. I am livid because I do NOT have these at my home and they have probably already entered our luggage etc. and will ride home with us. Also, there is a huge gap under the main entrance door and door to connecting "condo". This gap is large enough for small rodents to crawl thru much less ants, roaches, etc. (See photos). Each room is assigned TWO bath towels. You can only get fresh ones if you give the very surly housekeeper the ones you already have. They are not even service oriented where crappy towels are concerned. I own three vacation homes (one in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and two on the mainland) and my focus is on providing the best customer experience possible. This place seems bent on preventing any positive experience. Sad entrance, dated interiors, pool is smaller than mine at home, stingy with amenities AND they have the nerve to charge a daily RESORT FEE in addition to what I already paid for my timeshare fees and exchange fee. This is no resort. It is a run down, has been of a timeshare trying to stay afloat. Stay away. We are leaving as soon as we can make other accommodations and won't be back. Please read the other reviews that list this as terrible. Anyone that says differently either works for the hotel or doesn't travel much and just glad to get away from home. If you travel frequently and expect a certain level of service and accommodation, you won't find it here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
8 Thank MarcyA1
I am very sorry to hear about your bad experience at Kahana Falls, and during such a special time. I understand your disappointment in the size of the unit. With Maui being one of the top vacation destinations in the world, I hear from many other guests how difficult it can be to pick up a larger unit on an exchange. Our Hotel units are small in size and are directed more for guests looking for a place to sleep, shower, eat breakfast/lunch etc. then go out to enjoy our beautiful island, rather than those who wish to spend time in their room and enjoy the view from their room.

We are currently working to update and improve the resort by doing a progressive upgrade and modernization of all areas around the property. Pests are an issue on the islands. Although most resorts do quarterly pest control, we have taken a more aggressive approach and do monthly pest control. The number of pests typically has to do with the guests in the room prior as well as the weather. If they were as bad as you say and nothing was done, that is unacceptable. This will be addressed with the appropriate personnel. Customer Service is a top priority and if guests are not being treated appropriately, the staff will be given additional customer service training.