Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Great Bike Rental Experience

Reviewed 28 August 2018
Ben J
via mobile
Epic ride with top notch rental and bike shop

Reviewed 30 July 2018

from US$79.95
from US$109.95
from US$117.52
More Info
All reviews bike shop rental price roubaix bikes loop route helmets ride gears height shoes
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

I was back and forth about whether to bring my bike or rent one when we got to Maui. In the end, laziness won and I am delighted it did. The people at West Maui Cycles were tremendously helpful and were happy to dial in the bike then provide loads of recommended routes. The bike I rented was almost new and in excellent condition. Everything about the experience was a delight. I will definitely work with them again next time we travel to Hawaii.

westmauicycles t, Owner at West Maui Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you had such a great time here riding Maui. Hope to see you back soon.
ALOHA!
James

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

A colleague pointed out an epic climb I should try when visiting Maui called Mt. Haleakalā. He also pointed me to West Maui Cycles. I am so glad for both of those pointers. The service, information, and friendly atmosphere I received at West Maui Cycles really helped make this an experience i’ll never forget. About a week out I made a reservation online for a roubaix based on the description of gearing and its suitability for climbing 10k ft Haleakalā. Although all of the 58s were booked they did have a 61 (book early). It was an excellent choice for this ride and the one I received was new (never ridden).
The information guide on website for the climb was very accurate and helpful (especially advice on cramping). I was able to make it up the volcano without any mechanical or logistical issues. Once finished the bike return process was simple and quick. I did a 4:30 pm to 4:30 pm rental (one day) and started my ride from Paia at 5am. I took it slow and was able to get the bike back to West Maui just before deadline (its a long ride). I would highly recommend Mike and the staff at West Maui Cycles for all your cycling and rental needs. They also have great souvenirs. Check them out if you can and also try to fit in a ride up Haleakalā. It’s a once in a lifetime type ride. Epic

Reviewed 19 April 2018

I normally take my bike to Maui when I go and this trip I decided to rent and see how that went. I called West Maui cycles to book about a month before and when I arrived everything was ready to go. Loaded the bikes in the car and rode HARD on the west Maui loop everyday. Had a couple of flats and decided to take the bike in to check the rim and rubber - they replaced everything, no charge, cleaned my bike and sent me back on my way with a hand pump and new tubes. The experience was awesome and I may never bring my bike again.
Thanks team at West Maui Cycles, you exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My buddy and I rented bikes from West Maui Cycles for 6 days while we were here on vacation. The bikes were current model year Specialized Roubaix. They were in excellent condition and were a pleasure to ride. Mike and the rest of the staff were very competent and easy to work with. Great experience all around, and the prices were reasonable too!!

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Rented a bike for the day to ride from Lahaina to Kihei.
Great bike, Specialized bike looked new and road great. Went in the morning with my pedals, used their helmet. Rental was efficient and quick. Out the door in about 10 minutes.
Easy return when I was finished. Great guys and nice equipment. Will rent from them again on the next Maui trip.

1  Thank Bjm929
Reviewed 27 October 2017

I have made a onlune reservation for a road bike with about 2 weeks before heading to Maui. Everything went fast and perfect when coming to West Maui Cycle guys. The bike was already fitted and waiting for me. A brand new one-lucky me. Same dpeed and professionalism when returning the bike back. Very nice experience. Go for it!

1  Thank danstoe
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I went in to return the specialized shoes I had purchased two weeks before and was told there is no return on shoes. I'm ok with that if 1) I was told that originally; and 2) someone had helped me fit them to my feet. My problem isn't so much that they won't exchange or return it's that they couldn't even help talk me through this or understand why I had a problem with it. My husband and I have spent thousands of dollars in this store but no more. We'll be taking our business elsewhere.

1  Thank Vickie M
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Mike and his group at West Maui Cycles were awesome !! The specialized roubaix I rented was like new. Great experience

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Great bike rental place in Lahaina. Rented a pristine looking Specialized road bike for a day. Reserved online, picked it up in the afternoon the day before, returned in the afternoon on the day of the rental. The bike was ready for me, the size was correct, gears / brakes well adjusted. The bike shop adjusted the seat post height after a short ride in the parking lot. Rental price is fair.

Everything went well, the bike shop employee was friendly and helpful, i can fully recommend this place.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Went in for a tune up on an older bike of mine, which i actually bought from them years ago. I have been a customer for over a decade.

I'm having problems shifting gears. The chain gets stuck on the shift. The bearded guy with glasses was so rude and just kept saying I will need new cables, chain, etc to make my bike "safe" and "rideable." I rode it that morning. It's rideable and safe just older and maybe not as smooth.

He didn't even bother looking at the derailleur nor even try shifting through the gears. When I said it gets stuck he said, well you should get a new chain too. I know my bike is old, that's not the problem. Learn to listen.

I took it to another bike shop the next day and when I told him the problem, the first thing he said was "let me try shifting the gears so I can understand what you are talking about." He figured out the problem immediately.

Go upcountry. It's worth the drive!!

1  Thank Monty1344
westmauicycles t, Manager at West Maui Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Dear Awful Experience,

Lets get the facts straight. First I was never rude to you, you just didn't like the answer that was given to you. Second you called the shop twice before coming and asked what a tune up would cost. I told you both times it was easier to give an estimate when I can see the bike in person and not guessing over the phone. When you did bring the bicycle in, it was is very unsafe and poor condition. I asked if the bicycle which was an much, much older aluminum road bike was left outside for a long period of time? You said yes, and by looking at the bicycle, which I have over 30 years in the bicycle industry, everything was either rusted, sunbaked, corroded and in dyer need of replacement or repair. I gave you an estimate of $200.00 for parts and labor. Your response was I just want you to look at the right hand shifter and why its not working. I told you because of being left outside for so long with the sun, rain, salt air and UV's, and the cable housing and cable that needed replacing it would not shift or work properly, along with everything else that was rusted or corroded. Including your rusty chain, your tires that were frayed and sunbaked badly that was a safety issue of having a serious blowout and accident. Your response and I quote "Your not listening to me!" "My friend said this part isn't working!" and stormed out. I can't fix just one thing on a bike and it will make the other parts work magically. You didn't want to hear that. So if you want to give a negative review and response like this to our trip advisor readers, I shall respond with thank you and your more than welcome to take your business to another shop that will listen to you. Aloha!

West Maui Cycles, Service Manager