“A great resort”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent a week at the Ocean Resort Villas with a couple of good friends and had a fantastic time. The hospitality on Maui is first rate. We enjoyed the restaurants at the resort and in Lahaina where there is fantastic variety and had a great game of golf on the nearby course. We own a vacation unit at the resort, so may be biased, but recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ocean view have the best outlook
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,391)

Reviewed 5 January 2012

As a Westin Vacation Owner I had not had the pleasure of staying at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas until this past fall. What a treat! It was all that I expected and more! The check in process was seamless. all through my stay I found the personnel in the lobby area friendly and eager to help, whether it was to simply answer a question, provide directions, or to discuss activities for the week. The rooms are well planned, clean and have all that one needs to vacation: a huge kitchen in the 1 bedroom, with a slightly smaller one in the studio; a washer and dryer in both; a lovely balcony facing the pool and courtyard with a limited view of the ocean from where I was located; very comfortable beds; fabulous shower and tub in a huge bathroom. There is once a week maid service to freshen the room and provide clean linens. The grounds are magnificent with beautiful flowers and trees, a well-manicured lawn area, playground space for young children and the beach and ocean just a few feet from the hotel. There are restaurants on the grounds to satisfy ones needs: the Ocean Pool Bar and Grill is located poolside between the two South towers and is easy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Pailolo Bar and Grill is located in the North Towers area near a pool; The Pulehu Italian Grill and Cafe sports an outstanding Italian menu and seems to be busy everynight. I came in one night after having eaten in Lahaina and wanted some of their sorbet. There was a long line waiting, but when I told the hostess what I wanted and that I was alone, she accommodated me within minutes. (I was dressed nicely, not in shorts and a T-Shirt like many who were waiting. I have to believe that had something to do with the quick service, as this is a restaurant where one should not come in from the beach or trekking all day and expect to eat.) It was the best sorbet I have had! In addition, there is the General Store and the market where one can buy limited food items as well as sundries and souvenirs. There are programs for everyone at the Westin! Many programs are designed specifically for children, while others appeal to adults only and then for all ages. There was ample room for all programs to be held with out infringing on the space of others. Free shuttle service is provided to the other Starwood properties on the island, to Whaler's Village and to Lahaina, the Cannery and Hilo Hatties. Being an owner, I chatted with the sales staff about the property and the options available. There is no high pressure and they are there to serve. Because I had such a great time, my daughter, son-in-law and I are going back this coming June for a week's stay. We anticipate it will be a great week!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank JanetWK
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We appreciate having the convenience of a nice hotel in a Condo type setting (room service, Spa, etc. ) but keep in mind that the Resort Villas are primarily time-shares. The "guests" bring down coolers of drinks and food around the pool deck, along with BBQ items etc. It seemed chaotic and over-populated every where you went. Good luck trying to find a deck chair after 10am.
We will choose a real condo resort next time or a real hotel that allows guests some solitude. The fusion of the two didn't work for our family.

Room Tip: Ocean view /ground floor are the best but the pricey.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 593Veronica
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I am a travel agent and selected this property for my family based on location, condo amenities, and recommendations of people I know who own there. Well....it was quite simply the worst place I have ever stayed. Not for more upscale travelers with no little kids. The building and setting could be in anywhere USA. No Hawaain feel, charm, or hospitality. Examples: couldn't sit on our balcony as so close to the highway, felt like back in LA...cost $100 for us to sit on beach with chairs and umbrellas per day!!!...pool heater broken so couldn't swim once...17 turns in hallway to get to our room- like a rat's maze...I could go on and on. Checked out and moved to the Ritz Carlton- best thing we ever did! Hoping for a refund of our pre-paid last 3 nights. Also, need to mention....I have never seen so many posted rules everywhere!!! Felt like Big Brother...really appalling.

Room Tip: You need to stay in ocean front buildings. Otherwise terrible highway noise.
8  Thank KweenKayo
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Aloha and thank you for your comments. We are troubled to read about your stay and would be grateful for the opportunity to contact you directly to discuss the details of your experience that led you to move to another resort. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings on our behalf. I have sent you a private message requesting for your preferred contact information so that we may reach out to you. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Mahalo,

Reviewed 4 January 2012

I was very pleased with this resort. We requested an ocean view and what a beautiful view we had. We watched the humpback whales (pack some binoculars) every morning from the balcony. We (a family with 4 teenagers/young adults) booked a 1 bedroom with attached studio suite. Each suite had a pull-out couch. The studio suite also had a queen size bed. We also requested minimal housekeeping service and for that received 10 coupons for buffet breakfast. Check-in was quick and the staff very friendly and helpfull. We did not use the pool (s) as we preferred the beach. Snorkeling is great right in front of hotel but we also walked to the other side of Black Rock (15 min walk) and it was also great snorkeling. I found the beach very busy on that side of the rock and was glad we had a quieter beach in front of our hotel.

Room Tip: Building No 4, top floor south end had excellent oceanview and was quiet. Worth the extra price to...
6  Thank sarahwinter_11
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at the Ocean Villas for 4 nights this December. Overall, our experience was very positive. The studio was comfortably furnished and well appointed. The resort itself was quite pleasant - on the beach and the pool was great. The service was very helpful - I requested a different room upon check in and the front desk clerk really worked to make it happen.

My only issue with the hotel is that response times tended to be slow. I don't mean to imply that service was slow, rather that sometimes there just didn't seem to be enough staff so there were long hold times on the phone when calling the front desk or housekeeping. Once a person was reached, they were consistently helpful.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Plantriptoday
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Third time back to this resort and it only improves each time.The 2 bedroom villas have all the facilities you would want (full kitchen ,laundry spa bathtub outside balcony) and can easily sleep 8.The rooms are spotless and are well maintained.Plenty of activities for kids and watersides/pirate pool for kids,plenty of other pools as well as adult only pools.The big plus is the beach on the resort which within metres off the shoreline you can snorkel and see lots of coloured fish and turtles if you are lucky and in the distance you can see the whales .Even though we were there between xmas and new year it did not seem that busy because of the size of the resort and it is so relaxing .
Restaurants are average but there are great places nearby(check trip advisor)

10  Thank ald59
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2012

Aloha and mahalo for your review. We greatly appreciate your outstanding rating and would like to thank you for allowing us to welcome you back for the third time now. Hearing about your fun family Maui vacation is truly enjoyable. We can’t wait to hear about your next stay at the resort. Thank you again for your comments and we wish you a very Happy New Year.
Mahalo,
Sulinn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!