“A great restful break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Canberra Australia
“A great restful break”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in September after a month long Canadian holiday. The resort was fantastic. We had an ocean view studio in the South block and the room was perfect. The hotel has a free shuttle bus that you can use to go to two other of their resorts and tye town of Lahaina. We used it several times especially to buy food so that we could cater for ourselves in the room. The lobby of the resort was so restful and beautiful and the onsite bars and restaurants were great as well. The pool was nice and cool given the temperatures were up around 28 degrees centigrade every day. All the staff were friendly and helpfull and the free wifi was fantastic as well. There were plenty of opportunities for walks on the beach which is adjacent to the resort and I thoroughly recommend it to any one considering staying.

3 Thank AnJCanberraAustralia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed for 8 nights at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, in a studio villa (South buildings). Booked on priceline for $165/night. As we booked on priceline I assumed we would not get the "best" room, and I was right - while clean, spacious and with a kitchenette & washer/dryer, the room faced the parking lot, and had a Juliet balcony, which was essentially a foot wide.

We weren't disappointed in the room for the price we paid - and were very pleased overall with the resort for the price. However, if I had paid the $300 or so per night booking direct with Westin, I would have been very disappointed with the view and lack of a balcony.

Some things we found out during our stay: There are two sets of buildings at the resort, North and South. The South is older, and the studio villas in the South as I mentioned do not have balconies. One bedroom suites in the South do have balconies, although some will face the parking lot. A two bedroom suite is a one bedroom + a studio, so two bedroom suites in the south have one balcony, but could face the parking lot.

The North villas are newer, and all villas, including studios have balconies. None of the North villas face the parking lots. The one bedroom balcony is larger than the studio, but it looked like there were two chairs and a table on the studio balconies, so certainly room to sit and enjoy. A two bedroom villa in the North would then have two balconies.

Wifi is free all over the resort, and had a pretty strong signal throughout our stay.

The resort is a timeshare, and you will be presented with a "welcome gift" and asked if you would like to go on a timeshare presentation. The gift is a westin bag/ soft cooler, which worked well for a beach bag. The reward for attending the presentation is a $100 gift certificate or a five-course dinner for 2 at the Italian restaurant (Pulehu). There were a few other options for the reward as well. This wasn't high pressure to attend, but we chose to for the $100 gift certificate. You are only asked once during the stay, so certainly not high pressure to attend.

The timeshare presentation was high pressure as expected (even though they say it is not). I would also say high guilt when you decline to purchase. Regardless, we didn't purchase a timeshare and got a $100 gift certificate, so it was 90 minutes reasonably spent.

There are a few restaurants on the resort. You are offered vouchers for the buffet breakfast for each day you declined housekeeping. The food at the two pool bars was ok for the most part, but nothing special. (Although during happy hour at the Ocean pool bar, there are zucchini frites for $3 which are excellent!) We ate at Pulehu once, and it was delicious, although quite expensive.

The only true downside to the resort was the lack of a quality adult's only area. While there is an adults only pool in the North villas, it is dark (surrounded by three buildings so no sun!) and very small. The other pools are busy and loud with families and their kids. We definitely understood that kids are loud in pools, but we were looking to relax. So, great for families, but hard to find a quiet spot in the sun near a pool. I'd have happily given 5 stars for our stay if there had been a more substantial adult's only area, instead of appearing like an afterthought.

Most of the people at the resort seemed to be families with young kids or seniors.

Every staff member we encountered was amazing, and we'll definitely consider Westin's again for this reason.

For this hotel, we were pleased with the deal we got through priceline, but probably won't book again, although we'd recommend it for a family with young kids.

Room Tip: Request the North Villas
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank maple27
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband were celebrating our 30th. The first room was next to the air conditioning units with a view of the laundry patio (ugly). There was no patio and it was too noisy to open the door. We requested a new room and was given one with only minimal hesitation. Fortunately the second room was in a better location with a patio with chairs. We enjoyed sitting on the patio with our morning coffee. The pool bar is a great location for sunset. The bartenders there were very friendly and made wonderful drinks (loved the Mai Tais). The italian restuarant was also very good with a great view from the patio. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The property was clean and well maintained. We loved the walkway along the beach and the easy access to great snorkeling right off the beach. Don't even bother paying for a snorkel trip- you have one right there! Didn't care for the hotel's snorkel equipment- you might want to rent equipment elsewhere. Renting chairs and umbrella on the beach was very convenient and worth the expense. One night we took the shuttle to Lahaina. The shuttle was comfortable and arrived and departed on time. There was a special ceremony on the beach for 9/11 which was very nice. We also did a couples massage in the treehouse which was nice. The Bose radio in the room was great to have as we listened to the local Hawaiian music. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a patio with chairs!
2 Thank LucyRigg
Newton, NJ
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Spent a week in the hotel and almost cried when I left. I had a partiail ocean view Terrace in a studio unit. They said it was a ocean view but form my vantage point it was definitely a partial ocean view. The terrace (if you can call it a terrace) was only big enough to fit one person with the patio door closed and no where to move.

Now to the positives. Great pools. Great service. Grate Bar-B-Que grill area. On the beach and right next to a beach walk that was great for morning Jogs or walks.

My wife and I would go for morning walks every morning and enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery. The beach area is great for snorkeling but I found it too rocky for swimming. Beautiful landscaping on the property. Very relaxing.

The breakfast buffet was pretty pricey. $50.00 for 2 and not that exciting. You would be better off taking a stroll on the beach walk to Dukes or Castaway Cafe for breakfast.

I extended my stay for 2 more days and was upgraded to a 1 bed room unit. What a difference that was. I lost my ocean view but gained a terrace the size of my other room. Plenty of space, great kitchen and great bathroom.

My only gripe is that there is no smoking anyhwere on the property. I am not a big smoker but do occasionaly enjoy a cigar here and there. My gripe is not that it was a non smoking property. I could live with that if i was fore warned. I saw no signs to that effect anywhere nor was told at check in. I had to have it brought to my attention by a security guard in the pool area. It may be a good idea to post signs or inform guests at check in so they don't have to be embarrassed by guards.

Other than this incident I have to say that we had a great time. I recommend that you take advantage of the Bar B Que grills while you stay.

We would not think twice about visiting again and would highly recommend it to anyone considering staying here.

1 Thank poncefromNewton
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed there twice and we loved both of our stay. South wing is the one which adjustant to the main pool although North wing is newer and better interior. We stayed both of them but I would prefer South tower which is close to the main pool. It's time share unit so you won't expect too much service then you'll have great vacations. Try to avoid room facing the pool on the ground floor. Could be noisy.

If you are arriving to Kapalua airport hotel is only 5 min drive away, Very convenient. You must contact rental car company to pick you up otherwise airport does not have any rental car booth on site. They'll come and pick you up in 5-10min. Very small rental office, be sure to reserve your car ahead of time otherwise they might run out of selections. Kapalua airport is MUCH more small than you think.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Miracosta
San Diego
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I stayed at WKORV North for a week in the middle of September. There are not enough superlatives to describe this property. It is simply an amazing resort in one of the most beautiful locations in the world. The staff is outstanding. Everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful and seemed to genuinely enjoy providing great service. Mylin at the front desk was especially helpful.

This was our second stay at WKORV. We spent a week in the South Villas last year. On both occasions we stayed in studio suites. There are many reviews already written on the resort and I doubt I could add much that hasn’t been said. I will confine this review to a comparison of the North and South Villas.

The North Villas are newer but I really didn’t notice much difference in the furnishings. The South studios are slightly larger. Both have full size refrigerators. One important distinction, only some of the studio units in the South Villas have balconies. All do in the North.

The pool and common grounds in the South Villas are much larger than the North. Correspondingly, the area between the buildings on the south side is larger. This means more open views to the ocean on the south side. There is a children’s pool on the north side. It’s not adjacent to the main pool which limits some of the noise and chaos. There is an adult pool in the North Villas but it’s in a location that gets very little sun and a lot of wind. I never saw anyone use it. The bbq grills for the North Villas are next to the adult pool; again, windy and limited views. The grills for the south property are at the western edge of the property overlooking the beach, a much better location. I enjoyed the sports bar at the north property more than the casual restaurant at the south.

Overall, I preferred the South. However, it’s kind of like saying I enjoy a NY steak to a rib-eye, either is fantastic. Additionally, you are not confined to either resort. Guests at the North have open access to everything at the South and vice versa.

Room Tip: Not all studios in the south villas have balconies. Make sure you ask.
42 Thank 92081Traveler
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We just returned from holiday on Maui where we stayed at the Westin Ocean Resort Villas September 2012. We have been to this area on Maui before and our choice of accommodations is the Whaler on Kaanapali. This trip we decided to try something different and we stayed at the Westin Villas North. The hotel room itself was basic, small and a little outdated but very clean. The main shared areas are beautiful and I do not have anything bad to say about that part of the facility at all.
I would however, recommend to anyone considering staying here that you confirm with the hotel directly, if possible in writing, that you are going to get what you pay for as we didn't and were extremely disappointed. We booked and paid for a full ocean view suite and we got the complete opposite. Not only was it not a suite but a small hotel room with kitchenette facilities but we could not see the water, only a jungle. When we walked through the plants and around the wall we could see the pool area.
We will be taking this up with our travel agent upon return as the cost for our room was similar in price to the Whaler where we had a 1 bedroom, large apartment size, recently renovated facility with a huge balcony and complete ocean view on the 8th floor.....and during peak season.

Room Tip: Confirm in advance, directly with hotel in writing, that you are going to get the room you booked.
6 Thank Janice S
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to provide your review. Please accept our sincere apologies that your stay with us was less than perfect. We would like to take this opportunity to personally discuss with you the details of your comments. I have sent you a private message with my contact information so that we can connect. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Mahalo,
Sulinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!