“PLEASANT SURPRISE”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We booked at the Westin Kaanapali and got a good deal on Island view Studio but were a bit apprehensive due to some negative comments on various web sites - the resort was super !!! we loved the spacious, open area feel of the resort and the ability to shuttle to the other Westin resorts on Maui. Our room was spacious with full size fridge, stove, dishwasher & washer and dryer. Check in even late at night was gracious, easy and a nice volunteer from concierge to get our car parked for us so we could go straight to reception. Nice variety of places to eat on site as well as 2 smallish sotres selling food, wine, souvenirs etc. - a bit pricey but very handy. Our room was quiet, comfortable and clean. Check out similarly quick and easy and I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view is well worth the additional cost but avoid rooms overlooking the children;s pool - can b...
1  Thank records
There are newer reviews for The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We are currently staying in a 1 bedroom villa. It is considered island view but we can see the pool, the ocean and even watch the sunset from our balcony. The room is clean with modern furniture and kitchen appliances. The pool is a little cold and kindda boring. The south side pools are better and has a waterslide. The gym is small with limited equipment. There is a boardwalk infront of the property that is along the beach and is great for a morning run/walk. It's a nice place to stay but it is a drive to Whaler's village or Lahaina where all the restaurants and the shops are. There is an available shuttle but we didn't use it because we had a rental car.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank donjoysan
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Loved Our stay at the Westin. Check in was fantastic, We arrived at 3:00 PM and the lines were a bit long to check in. No problem! They opened up a kiosk to help move things along. I was in line behind a family with three very young boys, these young guys only had one thing in mind, to get to the pool. The mom had many questions and a few requests as she also had a small baby in her arms. The Dad was no where to be seen. I was amazed at how quickly and effeciently Mylin at the front desk was able to field all of this and keep the boys contained through the check in process. After that I was sure that she would be worn down, but not, she was just as friendly to my wife and myself as if we were her first customer of the day.Nice to see great service for a change !
The pools are cleaned daily and the grounds are some of the best in Maui, Beach is steps from the front and it seemed like most rooms had some views.
Like a cruise ship, they have the "drink of the day". Pretty good though as they don't skimp and you save a few bucks it they have something you like. I liked the "Da Palmer" which is kind of like it sounds. Good. Thanks to Judson in the pool area for great service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ranman36
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

What a great review! Thank you so much for your comments and for acknowledging Mylin and Judson. I will be sure that they are recognized for their outstanding service. We are happy to hear you enjoyed “Da Palmer.” We’ll be sure to have one ready for you upon your next visit. Mahalo again for your feedback.
Sulinn

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in September after a month long Canadian holiday. The resort was fantastic. We had an ocean view studio in the South block and the room was perfect. The hotel has a free shuttle bus that you can use to go to two other of their resorts and tye town of Lahaina. We used it several times especially to buy food so that we could cater for ourselves in the room. The lobby of the resort was so restful and beautiful and the onsite bars and restaurants were great as well. The pool was nice and cool given the temperatures were up around 28 degrees centigrade every day. All the staff were friendly and helpfull and the free wifi was fantastic as well. There were plenty of opportunities for walks on the beach which is adjacent to the resort and I thoroughly recommend it to any one considering staying.

3  Thank AnJCanberraAustralia
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed for 8 nights at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, in a studio villa (South buildings). Booked on priceline for $165/night. As we booked on priceline I assumed we would not get the "best" room, and I was right - while clean, spacious and with a kitchenette & washer/dryer, the room faced the parking lot, and had a Juliet balcony, which was essentially a foot wide.

We weren't disappointed in the room for the price we paid - and were very pleased overall with the resort for the price. However, if I had paid the $300 or so per night booking direct with Westin, I would have been very disappointed with the view and lack of a balcony.

Some things we found out during our stay: There are two sets of buildings at the resort, North and South. The South is older, and the studio villas in the South as I mentioned do not have balconies. One bedroom suites in the South do have balconies, although some will face the parking lot. A two bedroom suite is a one bedroom + a studio, so two bedroom suites in the south have one balcony, but could face the parking lot.

The North villas are newer, and all villas, including studios have balconies. None of the North villas face the parking lots. The one bedroom balcony is larger than the studio, but it looked like there were two chairs and a table on the studio balconies, so certainly room to sit and enjoy. A two bedroom villa in the North would then have two balconies.

Wifi is free all over the resort, and had a pretty strong signal throughout our stay.

The resort is a timeshare, and you will be presented with a "welcome gift" and asked if you would like to go on a timeshare presentation. The gift is a westin bag/ soft cooler, which worked well for a beach bag. The reward for attending the presentation is a $100 gift certificate or a five-course dinner for 2 at the Italian restaurant (Pulehu). There were a few other options for the reward as well. This wasn't high pressure to attend, but we chose to for the $100 gift certificate. You are only asked once during the stay, so certainly not high pressure to attend.

The timeshare presentation was high pressure as expected (even though they say it is not). I would also say high guilt when you decline to purchase. Regardless, we didn't purchase a timeshare and got a $100 gift certificate, so it was 90 minutes reasonably spent.

There are a few restaurants on the resort. You are offered vouchers for the buffet breakfast for each day you declined housekeeping. The food at the two pool bars was ok for the most part, but nothing special. (Although during happy hour at the Ocean pool bar, there are zucchini frites for $3 which are excellent!) We ate at Pulehu once, and it was delicious, although quite expensive.

The only true downside to the resort was the lack of a quality adult's only area. While there is an adults only pool in the North villas, it is dark (surrounded by three buildings so no sun!) and very small. The other pools are busy and loud with families and their kids. We definitely understood that kids are loud in pools, but we were looking to relax. So, great for families, but hard to find a quiet spot in the sun near a pool. I'd have happily given 5 stars for our stay if there had been a more substantial adult's only area, instead of appearing like an afterthought.

Most of the people at the resort seemed to be families with young kids or seniors.

Every staff member we encountered was amazing, and we'll definitely consider Westin's again for this reason.

For this hotel, we were pleased with the deal we got through priceline, but probably won't book again, although we'd recommend it for a family with young kids.

Room Tip: Request the North Villas
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maple27
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband were celebrating our 30th. The first room was next to the air conditioning units with a view of the laundry patio (ugly). There was no patio and it was too noisy to open the door. We requested a new room and was given one with only minimal hesitation. Fortunately the second room was in a better location with a patio with chairs. We enjoyed sitting on the patio with our morning coffee. The pool bar is a great location for sunset. The bartenders there were very friendly and made wonderful drinks (loved the Mai Tais). The italian restuarant was also very good with a great view from the patio. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The property was clean and well maintained. We loved the walkway along the beach and the easy access to great snorkeling right off the beach. Don't even bother paying for a snorkel trip- you have one right there! Didn't care for the hotel's snorkel equipment- you might want to rent equipment elsewhere. Renting chairs and umbrella on the beach was very convenient and worth the expense. One night we took the shuttle to Lahaina. The shuttle was comfortable and arrived and departed on time. There was a special ceremony on the beach for 9/11 which was very nice. We also did a couples massage in the treehouse which was nice. The Bose radio in the room was great to have as we listened to the local Hawaiian music. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a patio with chairs!
2  Thank LucyRigg
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Spent a week in the hotel and almost cried when I left. I had a partiail ocean view Terrace in a studio unit. They said it was a ocean view but form my vantage point it was definitely a partial ocean view. The terrace (if you can call it a terrace) was only big enough to fit one person with the patio door closed and no where to move.

Now to the positives. Great pools. Great service. Grate Bar-B-Que grill area. On the beach and right next to a beach walk that was great for morning Jogs or walks.

My wife and I would go for morning walks every morning and enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery. The beach area is great for snorkeling but I found it too rocky for swimming. Beautiful landscaping on the property. Very relaxing.

The breakfast buffet was pretty pricey. $50.00 for 2 and not that exciting. You would be better off taking a stroll on the beach walk to Dukes or Castaway Cafe for breakfast.

I extended my stay for 2 more days and was upgraded to a 1 bed room unit. What a difference that was. I lost my ocean view but gained a terrace the size of my other room. Plenty of space, great kitchen and great bathroom.

My only gripe is that there is no smoking anyhwere on the property. I am not a big smoker but do occasionaly enjoy a cigar here and there. My gripe is not that it was a non smoking property. I could live with that if i was fore warned. I saw no signs to that effect anywhere nor was told at check in. I had to have it brought to my attention by a security guard in the pool area. It may be a good idea to post signs or inform guests at check in so they don't have to be embarrassed by guards.

Other than this incident I have to say that we had a great time. I recommend that you take advantage of the Bar B Que grills while you stay.

We would not think twice about visiting again and would highly recommend it to anyone considering staying here.

1  Thank poncefromNewton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!