“The Best Place to Stay and Own In Maui”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We own Tiemshare in Westin Maui Kaanapali North villas and in Kauai. This is our 6th year to vacation at the Maui property. The Westin is a great brand and they provide the highest quality and service. The resort has a great location and provide a shuttle service to Lahaina and Whaler's village. We brought our children and now our grandson with us and I can't think of a better way to leave a legacy for your children and grandshildren than to invest and enjoy the Westin Maui property. The villas are roomy, modern, well appointed for a great family vacation. I also can't say enough about the management team of this place under the leadership of Angela Nolan and how they have treated us everytime we visit and how they try to accomodate our wishes. The staff in every function are very friendly and always want to help. We enjoy a first class hotel experience with all the comforts of home. The best location, views, beach access, heavenly beds, food service and resort aminities. This is the place to spend a once in a life time vacation at or come back to year after year.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
sean_tamon, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Aloha kamilshakra,

Mahalo for your kind words of appreciation and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your 6th year with us. We are very lucky to have a great General Manager such as Angela, and on behalf of the leadership team and the associates here at the resort, we thank you for your loyalty and kind words. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to “your home away from home” very soon.

Mahalo nui loa,

The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stay here yearly and the staff is always helpful. We do witness some other guests occasionally having quite a time trying to convince the staff that the need to be treated better than the rest of us. These bad reviews here are not what you will find as long as you realize that you are not entitled to more than reasonable. Enjoy yourself here.

Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Stayed for two weeks and we were not disappointed. Had a studio, which worked perfectly. Kitchen is a plus, having a washer dryer is such a bonus. There's so much to do - easy access to the beach, many pools to choose from, 2 gyms, spa (had great treatments!), tennis courts with rackets and balls available! Concierge were really helpful booking us two trips. The restaurants are mixed but the distance to Whalers and Lahaina, with free shuttle service, means you are spoilt for choice. As we were there for Christmas we built a gingerbread house and had an elf visit our room to read a night before Christmas....great ideas Westin! We had a ball!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cantersontour
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The first question I had on my last day in Maui?

"When are we coming back???"

I loved, loved, loved Maui and part of what made our stay PERFECT was choosing to stay at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas.

The rooms are so spacious and luxurious- we were in a studio and it was the perfect size for my husband and me. The entire suite was gorgeous- beautiful granite counters, dark wood, the comfortable Westin bed everyone raves about, a jacuzzi bathtub (!!!), and a kitchenette with all of the essentials. We even had a washer/dryer- what more can you ask for?

In addition, when we arrived, we were told that we had been upgraded to an ocean view. It doesn't get any better than that, right? But wait- when we arrived in our room the first night, there was a bottle of wine and a card wishing us a happy anniversary. Honestly, you can't expect more from an establishment... I was in heaven the entire time we were there.

Other random FYI's: Our suite was always cleaned promptly and the staff was always helpful and friendly. We stayed in the north villas (building 7, 3rd floor) which seemed (at least to us) to have less families with children. I know some people were complaining that the resort was overrun with children but we didn't encounter that at all in the north villas. However, when we ventured to the south villas, we did notice more kids running around. Also, we booked this through Costco and it was a great deal b/c we also had daily breakfast buffet coupons that could be used at either Westin AND the Sheraton at Black Rock.

I am seriously considering taking an annual trip to Maui and if I do, I will for sure be staying at the Westin Ocean Resort Villas. :)

Room Tip: North villas seem quieter- we were in building 7, 3rd floor and it was perfect.
Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeanne M
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights before transferring to our timeshare and we loved it! Our room was comfortable...If we had stayed longer I would have asked for a different room (we faced the parking lot) but since we did book on Hotwire I wasn't expecting the best room on the resort.
The pool area was fantastic and we particularly appreciated the Adults only pool! The bar and food service was excellent, we had the fish tacos which we delicious and the bartender even accommodated us by making a drink we liked that was not on the menu.
We ate everyday at the restaurant for breakfast, even when we moved to our timeshare, the food was excellent (buffet or not).
The spa service (we had pedicures) was also excellent although it needs improvement we were informed it is undergoing a major renovation along with the resort itself. We also worked out in the gym which was fantastic.
We highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Unpleasant experience from start to finish. We stayed at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas for week two of our four week Maui vacation.

My daughter and I arrived at noon, hungry. Upon checking in, I asked for a room upgrade from a studio to a one-bedroom, thinking the studio would be too small for three people. They assigned us a one bedroom at an exorbitant upgrade price. The new room was located at the extreme far end of the building, as far away from the elevator as possible (and they will not let you use a luggage cart, unless you want to pay for a bellman). After laboriously lugging all of our luggage and groceries to the new room, I found a note saying the suite had recently been sprayed with pesticide! I am very sensitive to poisons such as these, and looking around, I could see the upgrade definitely was not worth $900 for five days, as the one bedroom did not offer additional sleeping areas beyond what the studio offered (they both offer one bed plus pull-out). I went down to the front desk and said I would prefer the studio after all. The girl behind the desk became rather surly and started tapping away at her computer, ignoring us and leaving us standing there for 20 minutes. I finally asked if she was finding me a room, or....? She said shortly "I'm working on it," and left us to stand around for another 10 minutes.

Finally she found us a new room, but informed me it would have to be in another building. I said that I did not relish the idea of lugging all of our luggage and food from one building to another, and she said she'd send a bellman, which was a bit of a drag as I really hadn't planned to pay for a bellman.

By this time it was 2pm, and we still hadn't had lunch.

We went to the new room, to await the bellman to bring our things from the previous room, and I saw at once that I was being punished for rejecting the room upgrade: The new room was run-down and the air was stale and had a foul odor. When I opened the balcony door, I found we were located right beside the air conditioning that powered the whole building, and the noise was extremely loud. There was no large balcony with table and chairs like the other suites, only a tiny "juliet" balcony that could not even accommodate a child. Because of the angled layout of this building and the next, there was no privacy to this room, as our window was situated directly across from another window, the older male occupant of which immediately began ogling my teenage daughter. We could see and hear the goings-on all three floors across from us, including the incessant, and I mean incessant -- coughing of a man and woman one floor below. I had to wonder what the heck they were smoking, banana peels?

Finally the bellman arrived. The first thing he said was "Oh no, you got THIS room? The noise from the ac is bad, isn't it? Maybe they'll move you." You're damn right I'm going to move. I decided to leave this horrible place. I tipped the bellman and called the front desk to say that even though I'd been there only 3 hours I will pay for this one night, but I wanted to leave and find a new hotel. I was informed that because I had prepaid for my stay, the entire five nights would be forfeited if I left?!?!? I wasn't informed that I would be penalized for paying in advance!

By this time it was 3pm, and we still hadn't had lunch.

They said they would assign me a new room. I sighed because I knew I would be tipping yet another bellman for moving our things. For some reason, we were assigned a handicapped suite, which meant that there was zero privacy for three people using the bathroom, unlike the other suites. At least this one did not directly look into other people's windows. We waited and waited for the new bellman to bring our things but he did not arrive.

By this time it was 4pm, and in desperation, we went down to find lunch at one of the resort restaurants. The one we wanted was closed for a private function, and the bar did not allow minors, so we were forced to go to the pool-side cafe and spend $60 for mediocre lunch for 2. With all the great choices in Lahaina, this was a shame, but we were too tired and hungry to drive. We got back to our room and waited for the bellman.

Four exhausted hours and $20 in bellman's tips later, we finally settled into the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas. I was to learn later that even though these rooms are worth $1000/day, they do not provide daily maid service, and that services such as new towels cost $12, bed-making $25, etc.

We went down to meet with our "personal concierge" who actually turned out to be the timeshare presentation scheduler. During her 45 minute chat with us, this woman never once looked me in the eye! Needless to say I turned down the timeshare presentation.

When our third person arrived a few days later, he slept on the pull-out bed, and said it was the worst bed he'd ever slept on. This is saying a lot because for work reasons, he has to sleep in different budget hotels for one week out of very month, and has experienced some very bad beds!

During our remaining time, I tried to enjoy the facilities, which I guess are nice, but crowded and noisy. I am not a resort person. The beach out front is fantastic, with excellent snorkelling, but I much prefer Kihei, and our condo at the Maui Kamaole seemed like a private, secluded heaven in comparison to the overcrowded, money-grasping bedlam that is the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank krispian
sean_tamon, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Aloha Krispian,

Mahalo for taking the time to write your review. We apologize for your experience with us and appreciate the feedback that you've provided. We take the feedback we receive from our guests seriously and our leadership team is in the process of addressing the service setbacks you experienced with us to our team. I have sent you a private message via TripAdvisor and we would like to kindly ask for your contact information so that we may reach out to you to discuss your concerns further. Again, we apologize and thank you for your valuable time and feedback.

Mahalo,

The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have stayed a few places on Maui. This is one of two that are our favorites. The Westin, for us, edges out the Marriott by a tiny bit. Mainly because of the slightly more worn condition of the units at the Marriott when we stayed there (though I think they have been re-done since); because the Marriott--for us--has beaches that aren't as nice (they are narrower); and because the Marriott is further to walk to Black Rock (a favorite spot of our kids).

The other element that works for my husband and I is that the Westin just seemed more peaceful, even though we went there in August, versus a low-season October stay at the Marriott.

What the Marriott has over the Westin is the pool complex, which is hands-down better.

We had none of the service issues that others have mentioned. We also were not at all bothered by people trying to sell us timeshares (we had more of a problem with that at the Marriott). I have traveled enough to know that being easy-going and kind to customer service people is usually the best route. When you occasionally get the grumpy representative, just exit the interaction and find someone else. It is a hard job and the pay is lousy. Go easy on them.

Our counter agent helped us secure a great room--upper floor with a peak ocean view though we hadn't requested or paid for it. It was and inside corner unit over the childrens' pool (so we were worried from looking at the map because the map made it appear that the balcony was going to be cave-like), north building. We didn't mind being in the north buildings at all, and our room was not at all cave like! It was great!

We stayed in a two bedroom unit, and were visiting on a lucky exchange from the timeshare that we own in Arizona. The beds were wonderful.

No complaints! This will make your vacation into a dream!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank c g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!