“Beauty Beyond Belief”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The property is beautiful and the staff is "Outstanding." You are treated like royalty by everyone you meet. Some of the best snorkeling is in front of the resort along with magnificent sunsets. They offer many great amenities, too many to list. The Bell Staff go out of there way to make sure you have a great trip. Anyone that has visited this resort will concur with the comments. Keep up the excellent work!

2  Thank JMJS2012
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Aloha! We are glad to receive your outstanding scoring and thank you for your review. It is nice to hear the details of your stay; sounds like you had an amazing experience. Have a wonderful rest of the year, and we can’t wait to welcome you back home to Maui again soon.

Krystle

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The property is absolutely fabulous and very well maintained. One can just stay on the property and enjoy your entire vacation. The beach is awesome for snorkeling. The location is prime.

The food choice is limited and overprice for both quantity and taste. My guess is probably because villas have their own kitchen.

The front desk was accommodating and upgraded to partial ocean room. Customer service is the best, very helpful, and professional.

The rooms are clean and the beds are truly heavenly!!!

We stayed in a studio condo and will likely return to enjoy this beautiful resort again. The noise level is real low - their guests are well mannered.

Room Tip: You can enjoy a good breakfast at Longhi's for quarter the price and a 5 minute drive from the h...
1  Thank Ruby33020
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Visited July 12 - 19, 2014. Top notch property with excellent service. I am an owner, having last stayed at this property in 2010. The property had been updated and was very clean. The location couldn't be better and one truly enjoys the most magnificent sunset views. Snorkeling is a must. No problem snagging chairs under the umbrella by the pool as we are early risers. Enjoyed the umbrella/chairs on the beach as well. Movie night on the lawn for the kids on Friday!!! The service was excellent, employees friendly. I have stayed at many Westin resorts and this is by far my favorite. Sending my sister/family to this resort next July but plan to be back in 2016.

1  Thank Cari F

Aloha Cari F.,
That’s one thing you can count on here is a fabulous sunset, especially when you are standing on the shore with the sand between your toes. I’d first like to thank you for sharing your experience and with us and other travelers. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon.

Krystle

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Beautiful and well kept property. Awesome staff. Nice rooms and comfortable beds. Easy check-in. My biggest disappointment was the breakfast. Such stale food. I just returned from India staying at the Westin in Hyderabad serving a 30 course breakfast. And here is Maui I was treated to cold and stale breakfast with limited choices. The bar and grill onsite has limited choices and nothing to rave about. Including the cocktails. The Italian restaurant was just ok and expensive.

2  Thank Vijay S
Sean T, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Aloha Vijay S,

Mahalo for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're delighted you enjoyed your villa accommodations, but are disappointed that you didn't enjoy you food experience. We appreciate you giving us your feedback regarding our food selections and will work to improve the experience in the future. Are there any specific items or improvements you would suggest? Please feel free to email your suggestions to me directly at sean.tamon@westin.com.

Sean T, Manager
The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed 28 July 2014

What a fun and relaxing experience with friends and family at the Westin Villas. The staff is over the top friendly and pleasant. The amenities are awesome, but the villas themselves are spectacular. Well designed and appointed makes it easy to feel right at home. The coral reef just out front of the resort was a huge surprise and we had a blast exploring it with the kids. Coral, fish and turtles too...in fact we met an older extremely large sea turtle named "tank" that the kids were awed by. We can't wait to return to this paradise.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This review is past due, we booked a two bedroom ocean view condo in March of 2013, while our accommodations were comfortable, clean, spacious, the view was nice and we had a washer and dryer, the resort itself was crowded and often times chaotic.

Yes, it was spring break and while we were prepared for this, it was crazier than we expected. This is a very large resort and though we were able to get in for breakfast each morning with no problem, finding chairs by the pool for the day was another story (get there early!). The pools were large and had places for young children to play which was nice, although, if we wanted to have a beach day and wanted chairs and an umbrella we had to rent them. I think this was the biggest annoyance, every time we have visited Maui in the past, we've always stayed at resorts in the Wailea area and they provide beach chairs and umbrellas as part of their service. We are seasoned travelers and are used to paying resort prices and fees, but the chair and umbrella fees along with the super busy resort really irked us this time.

If crowds don't bother you then this is the hotel for you, if you like calm and peaceful, head south which is what we did this past spring.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Dani G
Sean T, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Aloha Dani G,

Mahalo for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the feedback from our guests and owners as it allows us to continually improve our offerings at the resort. With the rising costs of vacationing in Hawaii, we understand your frustrations regarding the costs associated with renting beach chairs and umbrellas. We want create a relaxing atmosphere for our guests and will work with our partners at Beach Activities of Maui to see what we can do in alleviating some of the costs of vacationing. Mahalo for your understanding and your feedback.

Sean, Manager
The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I am an owner since 2008 at the Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (South) and have a two Bedroom Ocean View Villa. I am a loyal Starwood Guest and have achieved Lifetime Platinum status on SPG, so I clearly have stayed at many of their properties over the years. Below are my thoughts on this place and my stay in July 2014:

Check-In - The Check-in process was very smooth. We arrived at about 1:00 pm on a Saturday, and there was no line. Surprisingly, our room was available, and the valet took our bags from our vehicle promptly. In fact, our bags were delivered t our villa within 15 minutes of check-in. That part of the process could not have gone better. Unfortunately, there was absolutely no acknowledgement of my SPG Platinum Status. Later, I would learn that is likely due to the fact that status on this property is meaningless.

Room - We booked exactly one year in advance, calling the minute that reservations was open. Even so, the room was a big disappointment, as we were located in building 2 for the first time, in the middle on the second floor overlooking the pool. Tress mostly blocked any ocean view and the closeness of the pool left us feeling a lack of privacy. We closed the drapes and never opened them again. The room itself was as good as expected. The fixtures, finishes and decor are top notch. With a nice kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry in unit, you are lacking for nothing. We had 3 adults and 2 kids, and plenty of room left over. You could probably squeeze in 8 adults if need be.

Pool/Beach - The pool was usually busy but clean. We had trouble finding chairs after mid-morning, as most people place towels and such on chairs. Supposedly, the resort has a policy of removing items from chairs that are unattended for 60 minutes, but that policy is not enforced, We saw chairs unoccupied for 8 hours that were never checked on and we never saw a Westin employee removing towels from unattended chairs. One day, we had to go to the beach since no pool chairs were available. The Beach was crowded but we had no problem finding open space. The surf is not heavy on this part of Maui, so it is great for snorkeling and for kids. I would recommend getting chairs and an umbrella, as the sun and sand can be pretty hot.

Restaurants - The restaurants are okay to average. Nothing was terrible, but everything is very expensive, even by Maui standards. We ate at Pulehu, Ocean Bar & Grill and Pailolo Bar. We also ordered drinks regularly from the Ocean Bar and Grill when we were at the pool and service was always good everywhere we went.

Shuttle - Don't count on the shuttle around dinner time hours unless you queue up well in advance. There are simply too many people and not enough seats for the once/hour shuttle service.

Spa - The spa is small and has limited amenities. It is pretty pricey as well, so you will probably be better off skipping this or going elsewhere for better value. All three adults in our villa used the spa and the treatments we received were okay if not spectacular. No complaints, but not the best experience either. For the price paid, it was not a great value.

Concierge - I found the ever-present concierges very helpful, but sometimes pushy. They are generally nice and give a great local understanding and recommendations. I used them for golf reservations, spa reservations and restaurant reservations. They offer a new/novice traveler great recommendations for a worthwhile trip.

Kids Club - Our kids (5 & 7) absolutely loved their time at Kids Club. The staff was great and very friendly and the kids adored them. It might have been a highlight of the trip for them and they talked about going back or spending more time there. I felt totally comfortable with the check in process and the staff there.

Overall - I was more than annoyed by the disregard for my SPG status at a Starwood property. This was part of the advantage when I was sold the property in 2008, but seems to have been totally phased out now. This is flat out wrong and needs to be corrected. If I were a non-SPG person, I might have given this a higher rating, because I wouldn't know any different. However, since I know what Platinum SPG status is supposed to be, not being recognized for it at all in a place that I own is truly disgusting. At most Starwood properties, Platinum status confers discounts on Spa, beach rentals, kids club and occasionally restaurants. Here, it means nothing. We liked the room, if not the location and the staff is very friendly. There are a lot of things this place gets right, especially for the occasional traveler or someone splurging on a Maui experience. As someone who goes every year, travels a ton, and has lots of options, this experience was a tad disappointing. I had the chance to expand my ownership on this trip and thought I might before I left, but during my stay, these issues gave me pause and I decided that I may be better off using my points at the Hotel where my Platinum Status is more advantageous and better appreciated,

7  Thank Ryan C

Aloha Ryan C,

Mahalo for your taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is through dialogue like this where we can hone in and improve our programs and processes. As such, we value the feedback we receive from our SPG Platinum guests and thank you for your continued loyalty to the SPG program. After reading your review, it looks like we have some areas of opportunity regarding our SPG Platinum recognition. Please know that we do acknowledge our SPG Platinum guests and are disheartened to hear that your status was not acknowledged throughout your stay with us. While we can’t turn back the hands of time, we do offer our SPG Platinum guests with an array of exclusive discounts around the resort which is supposed to be presented upon check-in as well as when you visit the concierge desk. So that we may further investigate what happened during your stay, momentarily you’ll be receiving a message from us. Please respond to the message with your reservation information so that we may follow up with our team accordingly.

While we weren't able to deliver on a proper SPG Platinum recognition, we are relieved to hear that other aspects of your stay with us were better including our check-in process and Westin Kid's Club.

Mahalo for your time and we extend our sincerest apologies for not delivering on meeting your expectations as a loyal SPG Platinum member.

Sean, Manager
The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!