“great hotel with amenities”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami Beach, Florida
“great hotel with amenities”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The resort has south and north villas. North villas 5 years newer. North villas have smaller lobby as more quiet. The market place at north has discounts on Starbucks which you can't get anywhere. The market at south has pizza take out which was great and cheap. Haven't have good pizza like that in a hotel. The north villa has an award winner Italian grill restaurant. Great food and have special packages/set dinner with appetizer, entrée and dessert. The pools are great and large, only disadvantage is you have to go and put towel on chair at 8am because they fill out quick. Pool staff will tag chairs and give 2 hours if you're not there. Great place for a quiet relaxing vacation. Concierge can do all the bookings for trips. Car is not really necessary for the whole week, may be just a few days. Interhotel shuttles are available for visit to the Sheraton and Westin hotel.

Room Tip: Try to be in building 7 or 8 to have a pool and ocean view
Green Features: the hotel actually recycles, have recycling bins in hall ways, towels are only changed if requested
5 Thank sunset34439

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,156)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I spent a week at the Westin Kaanapali Villas for our honeymoon, courtesy of my in-laws, who are timeshare owners there. I suspect the experience would be different for those who are not owners, or paying customers, but we had a great time. Our 1-bedroom villa in the South tower had a partial ocean view (though I think it was designated an ocean view) as well as a view of the pool and a roomy balcony with chairs and table. It was about 5 mins to get from our 5th-floor room to the beach. We loved having the kitchen, washer/dryers, we loved grilling fresh fish at the grills by the pool, and the best snorkeling we found in Maui was right in front of our hotel.
We did not eat at any of the restaurants. The food looked pretty bad, sorry. Cocktail hour was always good though!
I think the most important thing here is to keep in mind that you will be experiencing some hybrid of a big resort/beach house rental vibe. We usually like to stay in smaller places but we really enjoyed our time here. Yes, there are a ton of kids running around so technically I guess it's not the most romantic place, but we enjoyed the family vibe. The service couldn't have been better. Parking was never a problem either. We enjoyed the nightly torch-lighting around the pool and thought the shuttle to Lahaina was a great convenience.
From the general sense I got of the pricing, I doubt we would ever stay here if we had to pay. But if you are a family with kids, or if you can stay there free like we did, haha, I think it's just about ideal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phillygirl3140
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is in a great location right on the beach perfect for late night walks. The main areas of the hotel are beautiful and rooms are ok some areas are starting to show their age. We had reserved are one bedroom suite and got a efficiency when contacted staff they were very sorry and offered to move us right away. When we got to our room there was a gift of local Maui nuts fruits and chips which a nice surprise. The pool area is nice but a little dirty the pool itself was dirty with dirt and leaves floating and in the bottom. There is a newer area with new rooms and pools which is a lot nicer then the older building. I would suggest asking for one of these rooms. Pools are nicer and cleaner. Resort is very kid friendly and in a beautiful location based in that alone I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank paul s
Irvine, California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I own a two-bed room unit in this facility and have been here 3 times.
The stay in 2005 & 2011 was really nice, however, our recent stay in 2014 (an ocean front room) was a big disappointment!! It is really sad to see this nice located resort being so poorly managed now.
The carpet of the room was wet for 3 days. Not sure how they would think it was ready for a check-in condition?!! We called and complained twice, they then found the dish washer was leaking. Many other things including the phone and door bell were broken in the room. We spoted some unknown insects in the kitchen cabinet and my husband even found a rat in the Grilling area, Yak!!!
I truely hope they can review the current manager's ability to manage this facility. Again, please and please do not let this once a nice place to become a rundown.....

Room Tip: All you can depend on now is good luck
7 Thank Jazz N
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Aloha and mahalo for your review. We are disappointed to read the issues that you encountered, as a less than perfect room is not to our standard. Please accept our deepest apologies. We would be delighted to further discuss the occurrences of your stay and resolve the deficiencies that you reported. Please send me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com so that our Chief Engineer may reach out to you. Thank you again for your valuable review and we hope to hear from you soon.

Mahalo,
Krystle
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My husband, two girls and I stayed at the Villas in July 2014. We've vacationed here several times and enjoy our stay every time. The Villas are beautiful, clean, relaxing, fun and overall casual and yet elegant. The staff is friendly and helpful. Concierge, Gye Carrow, was helpful and knowledgeable and understood and respected our family budget, was not pushy, yet creative in helping to plan fun activities. I'd always dreamed of taking authentic hula lessons. Tho she'd never had such a request, she quickly researched and connected me with concierge Palani Lurendez and he helped to arrange an amazing hula lesson. We just love it here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We had a wonderful time here due to the location, amenities, friendly staff, clean and well maintained property, and conveniences. They have everything you would ever need, at times for a pretty penny, but still whatever you need.
I loved having the kitchen so we didn't have to eat out for every meal every day. However the restaurants were all great and range from casual to really nice (Puleha). Their concierge team is amazing, especially Kila who arranged everything for us before our stay. Was nice to show up and have it all planned out. I recommend using them before you arrive.

This was a nice place to spend the entire day, going back and forth from the beach and pool or to relax at the end of the day. My daughter had a great time for 1/2 a day at the Kids Club so my husband and I could have our own beach time.

I would come back here and recommend it. We were 5 miles from Lahaina and went there almost every night for a show or dinner or an activity. A really quaint little town. And we found great hiking off of 30 East.

Room Tip: Use the Concierge before you go. Plan to buy some food to keep your kitchen.
1 Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Here's the basics:

Rooms - Good
Service - Very Good
Location - Very Good
Amenities - Fair

We are Starwood owners of another property and we generally like the program and properties. However, while this is supposed to be the crown jewel of the Starwood Vacation Ownership program and is also location on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, I have to say that if you are looking for a relaxing, peaceful, serene, unwinding vacation, there is no way in hell you will get it at this resort.

We came to this resort when we purchased our vacation property, and it was overrun with kids then. I specifically asked them if there were adult only areas. Of course they said OH YES blah blah. (And be forewarned, they'll say almost anything in that office to get you to sign on the line.) Here's what that means:

- There is an adult only hot tub with a sign designating it as such. You will however find it filled with screaming children playing with the disability lift chair most of the day. There is no enforcement by either parents or hotel staff.
- There is an adult pool area the size of a NYC studio apartment over by building 8. I can't tell you if it was filling with shrieking spawn because during my visit that whole area was closed for construction.

I came here to sit under an umbrella with a book and enjoy the ocean breeze until I fell asleep... to unwind from the daily life junk. If that's what you are looking for, do not come to this resort. It is quite literally an overblown day care center of bad parenting. I had some good trips and tours off property here. Without those it is completely possible that I would have left more stressed than when I arrived. We won't be coming back.

Room Tip: There is no choosing, you take what you get. Some are great, some are not.
Green Features: Seems very eco conscious, but it's hard to know what goes on in the back of the house.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Explorer S
Aloha Explorer S,
Mahalo for your comments. We are sad to hear your stay was not to your complete satisfaction due to the ambiance of the resort was not to your liking. We would be pleased to have the opportunity to personally discuss the details of your stay. Please send me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com so that one of our Westin team members is able to reach out to you. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to connecting with you soon.

Krystle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!