My wife and I with two teenagers went to the Westin Villa Resorts during Spring Break (March 28th thru April 4th) we are Starwood Vacation owners and had booked the Maui resort over 8 months ago during this time frame.
We live in NJ and our flight was out of JFK (TIP – Smart Park was great for parking!) on Saturday and we stayed at the LA Westin that night and took an early flight out of LAX the next morning arriving at OGG by 11am on Sunday.
We rented a car (Dodge Journey, very nice) and were at the resort by 1pm. Our room was ready when we arrived, we had gotten the one bedroom premium villa, having stayed at other Westin Vacation properties we knew exactly what we were getting, separate bedroom, large bathroom, full size kitchen, washer/dryer, (TIP – bring ½ the clothes you think you need and do some laundry) dining area and large balcony. Upon arrival we were told that we were upgraded to an Ocean View room, however the Ocean View was a bit of a stretch, had to stay on one side of the balcony to get the view, straight across you were looking into the North building. We tried for another room but the resort was booked for spring break and made the best of the view, after all it was located on the fourth floor not 1st facing the pirate pool.
The first thing we noticed while we were there was the wind. Very windy with gusts to 60mph and light rain showers on and off the entire week. The wind whipped the sand on the beach into your face and the rain was whipped around also. You can not do anything about the weather but it detracted from our experience of Maui. The wife and daughter went to the spa for pedicures and the employees there told her that this type of wind was very unusual for Hawaii. When the sun did come out and the wind died down a bit (Thursday) our Maui adventure truly began.
The resort was full of families with smaller children (spring break) which really didn’t bother us much. As parents of four older children we knew exactly what some of the other parents were going through, good and bad. Not sure about other weeks but if you are looking for a romantic getaway for two, I would think twice about going here or check posts that are not during spring break time.
We stocked up at the Safeway down the street in Lahaina, grilling foods, produce, water, cereal, beer & wine etc…. (TIP - print out the Safeway club application from the website before you go, fill it out, at check out hand them the application you get a club card on the spot and the discounts, saved over a $100.00 on our weeks order)
The grounds are beautiful and centered perfectly along the Maui coast with spectacular sunsets and great location among other resorts. It was very crowded here and challenging to get a pool chair (Spring Break) - started at 7am and still only got second tier seating, which was fine. When the chairs are all taken, go the beach, put your towel down and enjoy the Ocean and beach (a little on the small side) if you want you can take the shuttle to the other Westin down the road by Whalers Village and use the beach there, more sand and resort like. The pools themselves we were a little disappointing, no swim up bar and small.
(TIP – Go to the Welcome to your Vacation activity and find out about what Spa, Yoga and Bar specials that they will be running that week)
If you enjoy jogging/walking, the Beach walk is perfect, jogging early in the morning watching rainbows over the Pacific – Wonderful. There are two gyms on the property with treadmills, elliptical, etc... The equipment was sufficient but get there early if you want an early morning workout, place was packed by 6am.
There are plenty of grills, but they were always packed and if you wanted to use them, you had to wait your turn and bring the food back to your room; all the outdoor tables were taken most of the time we were there. Still everyone was polite and courteous, stories, recipes and beers were swapped while waiting.
Here is a brief description of what we did outside of the resort booked through the concierge service which was exceptional:
• Cruiser Phil’s Sunrise Volcano Bike Ride – A must – family had a great Experience, thank you Thomas and Jonathan
• Teralani Sunset Whale Watch Cruise – Pay the little bit extra, worth every penny, clean sturdy catamaran, food and drink – crew was FANTASTIC
• Westin Luau – Good for your first Luau – had fun, we were able to upgrade and was not disappointed with the show or food – Open Bar
Our own Adventures:
• Hana Highway – This is something to check off that I did it in life – doubt I would want to again. When we were able to park somewhere the sites were pretty amazing.
• Town of Paia – If you go to Hana you will pass through this town, find the public parking and enjoy this quaint town. Check out Café Mambo (Khula Pork fajitas) and Moana Café (Anything for breakfast!)
We can’t wait to get back to Hawaii, absolutely fantastic; the Westin Ocean Villas were very nice; just missing something; maybe it was the lack of an Entertainment Staff pool side, swim up bar w/larger pool- something. Would definitely would stay here again, but next trip we will try another Westin Hawaii property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and West Maui Mountains, makes The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas the perfect island retreat. Each spacious and stylish one and two-bedroom villas include private lanais, full-sized kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining room areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas Hotel Lahaina
- Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
- Westin Lahaina
- Westin Ka Anapali Ocean Hotel
- Westin Villas Maui
- Lahaina Westin
- Westin Maui Villas
- The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas Maui/Lahaina