“I would stay and live here if I could afford it”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed here for 10 nights the beginning August 30th, 2010 and the entire stay was just fabulous. I have stayed in many hotels and this is the first I review I felt compelled to write.

First off, I read reviews about this hotel before selecting either the Westin south of this one or the Sheraton but when I found out these were more condo style rooms with a laundry facility, kitchenette, and full sized fridge, as well as jacuzzi, I was pretty much sold. Given that my trip would be 10 days, eating out would be tiresome and washing bathing suits and clothes every other day at a laundromat was out of the question. There are also many BBQs that are available for guest use and we had no problem finding a vacant one during dinner time.

Here's a quick recap of my overall experience:

CHECK IN
Checking in was quick. However, the front desk staff wasn't overly excited and quite expressionless but I suppose that is better than being awful and rude to guests. I did notice that during mornings, line ups would form but they weren't as bad as the lineups I saw when I walked down the Westin that is south of this hotel *yikes*. I had the impression parking was free but was later notified that it was 7 dollars a night, or 9 for valet.

ROOMS
We stayed in a Dlx Studio Suite in the North tower. At the beginning of this trip, the hotel is confusing as heck to navigate through. Elevator signs that lead you to more hallways, the numbering system of the rooms (listen to the front desk instructions carefully), etc. Hold on to those maps of the front desk agents hand you when you check in because they come in handy if you haven't been here. Once you got the hang of the buildings, it wasn't too painful.

The hotel room was equipped with all your kitchen necessities such as pots and pans, cutlery, glasses, plates, etc which was fantastic. Kitchenette also had a dishwasher which made cleaning easy. I have read reviews about the odd window in the wall that goes through the bathroom into the bedroom area but it doesn't bother me as it made the room feel more open yet still retain privacy. The decor is simple and everything in the room was quite up to date in terms of style, so no complaints there at all.

The bed was heavenly. Enough said.

The large flat TV was great for watching a movie. The room comes with a DVD player as well as a Ipod Dock/Radio. The hotel is also equipped with FREE wi-fi which is AMAZING since many of us now cannot live without being connected. Not to mention, the connection speed was faster than expected and getting online was 100x easier than most hotels I have stayed at.

RESORT
The resort has a great kids pool for toddlers to age 5 with a large pirate ship to crawl all over. Its nicely tucked in a spot for families. There is two other great pools that are located elsewhere on the resort so you can take your pick on which you like most but they are equally nice. I went during down season when all the children are back at school so the pool area was rarely busy and chaises were easy to find. Staff have told me that it can get a little wild during Christmas and summer so beware if you are looking for that perfect romantic, quiet getaway during peak times.

The overall appearance of the resort is quite spectacular compared to its neighbours. Really, it is. The lawns are trimmed to perfection, the lobby is beautiful, the hallways can probably use a good buff from all the snorkel gear being dragged around but overall, its well kept.

SERVICE
I love towel service. Especially since we are almost on the beach and there are plenty of pools, fresh towels were a great luxury.

It was noted that housekeeping would arrive anytime before 5pm which seemed late but as it was clearly noted in the hotel directory and elsewhere, so we just accepted the fact. I believe you may request a time for a housekeeper to come in but I'm unsure if there are any additional charges or if this is frowned upon. Each clean was very thorough.

Now, here probably comes the worst part of the trip which isn't that bad but suppose is worth mentioning. As I do not hold a deed to this hotel (this resort is part timeshare), I felt that the level of service at concierge was not as genuinely open to visitors of the resort. Not only this, but I asked for several directions on multiple occasions for certain activities held on the resort and was given wrong directions each time to where the activities were held and at times, they were even unsure when and where these places were. Keep in mind, these activities are held at the resort itself. This was incredibly frustrating to have to walk back and forth to different concierge desks located throughout the hotel to get proper directions.

LOCATION
Located on Kaanapli Beach, it is definitely one of the most luxe beaches you can find on the island in my opinion. There is a great Beach Walk on the resort that is open to the public and if you are willing to go the distance (I would recommend you drive though since the heat can get to you but I have seen people walk it), you can check out Whaler's Village for some shopping and eating, and other hotels to find out that you are definitely at one of the best. Stopping by at the Westin south, the night time vibe was more lively but during the daytime, the pool area is swamped.

North of this hotel, you can drive to Kapula Beach for a snorkel or Honokeana if you are more interested in seeing sea turtles as there is an abundance located at this beach. Black Rock which is located at the Sheraton hotel is also fantastic for snorkeling. These beaches are close in proximity to each other and are only about a 5 minute drive away. There are also many others along the coast but these are ones worth mentioning.

The town of Lahaina is about 7 minutes away and easy to get to.

After visiting most of the area of Maui, the location of this hotel/resort is prime for snorkeling and dining. You also get a great view of the sunset on the beach. There is not much on the east side.

FOOD
There really isn't that much selection in terms of food at this hotel. I wouldn't highly recommended eating too much here as its really nothing to write home about. If you are a foodie, check out restaurants in the town of Lahaina or venture elsewhere along the beach walk.

The drinks poolside can add up to cost an arm and a leg and bringing your own liquor is prohibited but happy hour runs from 4-6 so feel guilt free to fill up then.

ACTIVITIES
This hotel/resort offers many family friendly activities throughout the week such as hula lessons, ukelele lesson, water fit, etc (some are complimentary only). Its a nice break from going out to the beach all day but as mentioned, get the right directions of where they are held or you may lose your chance to participate.

If you're into golfing, this location is prime for some spectacular greens I have ever seen in my life. The lawns were so green that it made the colour of fresh celery look pathetic.

This place is pretty quiet at night compared to its neighbouring hotels which held luaus or live entertainment which was disappointing but we found that we were pretty burnt out by the end of the night anyway. If you want entertainment, it is not hard to find down the beach walk in the evening.

To sum up, I really loved my stay here and would recommend it to anyone hands down if they are here during low season. Apparently it can be pretty crazy busy here with families, but you can really say that about any hotel. For the cost of what you get, and the amenities that are available in your room as well as service, I would highly suggest you select this hotel compared to its competitors. It is definitely family friendly, has an excellent beach, and is in the perfect location to everything you want and need from Maui.

TIP* Do yourself a favour and rent a car when you visit this island. Public transportation is dreadful here as I only saw about 3 buses on my entire trip and taxis are rarely seen. With this in mind, don't forget your GPS, you will need it.

3  Thank joann_ting
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Aloha!

We are delighted to hear that your entire stay was fabulous. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your recap of your overall experience is greatly appreciated, and I’m sure travelers will find it helpful, too. I will pass your review on to our team as I believe the overview of your stay will keep our staff motivated and remind them why we are truly in the hospitality business.

Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you a great year and look forward to welcoming you back to our Westin Ohana.

Sulinn

Write a ReviewReviews (4,576)

Reviewed 14 September 2010

My wife and I stayed in the Westin Villas this year for the first time. In our previous trip to Maui we had not seen the villas so we were a little concerned as to its location and general being of the resort. The resort was fabulous to say the least. We had a great room albeit the first floor somewhat restricting our ocean view. We did have a private porch for breakfast and drinks later in the day. We were poolside but the noise was never an issue. The staff provided a shuttle each day to town or to the other adjacent resorts. The shuttle was timely and saved the hassle of trying to park our rental car. The room was clean, new and although we had a studio size room it provided more than ample space for our needs. After all you are in Maui so go outside as much as possible. We hope to return to the resort again. we also hope to bring family to take advantage of the many swimming pools and beautiful sunsets. They do have an Italian restaurant on site where dined one our last night. This experience worked fine for us, although a little pricey. However, it it not priced appropriately or has the right menu selections for children.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

My hushand and I stayed at WKORV from September 4-12. We booked the first night using Starpoints and the remaining nights with Staroptions as we are WLM owners. We had called a number of times in advance of our stay requesting the two reservations be mergerd so that we would not have to change rooms. We were told no problem. However, when we arrived the check-in person told us she had no record of that request! and that we would have to change rooms! Ok so an error was made. My husband then went to the front desk to check-out of our current room at 0900 the next morning and was told that out new room as ready. Great expect that this person asked us why we didn't just go there yesterday. It was free!!! We were very disappointed with that. Also since it was our wedding anniversary my in-laws had called ahead and left a note for us indicating that they had purchased a gift certificate for us for dinner at one the restaurants near by. No one ever told us about it! Finally my father in law called us and asked us if we got it and then we went looking for it. It was sitting in the back office! Good use that would have been.

The resort is very beautiful and the pools and beach are great. Some of the best snorkelling around is right outside the resort.

There are great BBQ's to use on the grounds as well. However, we went to use them one night and they were not working. So we called "o" as indicated on the sign near the BBQ's and asked to have someone come look. We had to call back 3 times and finally after 45 minutes my husband went and found a maintenance person to do it. He said it was already done and cleared in the system. No one had coem and checked with us at teh BBQ's that they were working. The maintenance person just had to turn the gas on and they were working in 2 min!!!

So I agree with the general view of WKORV that I have seen on this sight....beautiful location and resort but service is lacking BIG time!!!!

Regards,
Cindy

Aloha.

First off, on behalf of our team, I’d like to congratulate you on your special wedding anniversary. Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your issues at check-in and with the BBQs. Your review has been forwarded to our team for immediate follow up. We would be delighted to have the opportunity to discuss your recent stay with you. I have sent you a private message requesting that you provide your preferred contact information so that one of Westin team members are able to contact you directly.

We look forward to hear from you and hope that we will have the honor of welcoming your back.

Reviewed 8 September 2010

This property is beautiful. The pools, outdoor restaurant, beach views were exceptional. However, the service was not. We were booked for an ocean view unit. Upon our Monday arrival we found dirty towels and trash in the alcove to our unit. The ocean view could be detected if you peaked around the next door unit's outdoor area. We could not enjoy the outdoor space of our own unity because of the LOUD noise emitted from an air conditioner or ventilation system that ran 24/7. When we asked to be moved (we were not looking for an upgrade) we were told they were sold out. Period. We never got the roll away bed we requested (for $3/night), and it took a second phone call and for the trash and towels to be removed on Tuesday. We did not receive maid service until after 6 pm on Wed (after making a call requesting it), and had no maid service on Thursday ( clean towels were brought promptly, though). We were fed up by then and called the front desk.. A manager called back, and informed us that we would receive a $20 rebate on our bill which we found insulting. On a positive note, the outside vendors were wonderful and we left with some professional quality family pictures taken by one friendly and outstanding vendor. We hope to return to Maui again some day but not to the Westin Villas.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2010

Aloha and mahalo for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful resort, our vendors and were able to go home with quality family pictures. However, as we are committed to providing excellent service delivery, we are saddened to hear that the service you received during your stay was questionable. I have forwarded your comments to our team for follow up to ensure that your feedback is immediately reviewed. We wish to personally discuss your stay with you and have sent you a private message inviting you to contact us with your preferred contact information. A member from our team will shortly thereafter reach out to you.

Mahalo again for your sincere feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We spent five nights at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas. This was the largest hotel we stayed at on our two week vacation in Hawaii. We stayed in a studio which was really nice. We enjoyed having a kitchen for our drinks and snacks and used the washer and dryer every day. We loved the beach outside our hotel. We spent time under the shade trees and went snorkeling. We tried to swim in the adult pool but it was way to cold! No one was swimming in it. Anyone who came to the pool put their foot in and decided against getting in. My only complaint would be that for our 30th wedding anniversary trip our balcony overlooked the kiddie pool. Not very quiet or romantic but we booked using our SPG points so I was grateful to have a balcony which I used everyday. We were given champagne and chocolates upon arrival which was really a nice touch and made us feel special. We totally enjoyed our time at this resort and Maui and would definately return to the Westin Villas.

Reviewed 6 September 2010

We just returned from a week at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North. We had a very nice stay.
The best thing about this location was the wonderful beach right outside your door! The water was clear, clean and calm. Now i understand people go to Maui to surf - obviously this isn't the place for that. But if you want to just swim around and relax, it was perfect. The snorkeling was also very good here. It was nice to be able to snorkel right there and not have to go anywhere. The sand was very soft and clean. We never bothered renting chairs (with three kids, we don't really sit down much). We just sat on towels. I noticed that not many people used the chairs and I do have to say, for a resort, they were the sorriest looking beach chairs I have seen at a high end resort! They were reminiscent of the 1970s metal lounge chairs. They were rusted and everything! I can't believe you had to pay to use them.

The pools were nice but we pretty much steered clear. Figured we were there for the beaches. Though my kids love pools, we tried to keep them out as much as possible. Almost every trip we take, someone comes down with swimmer's ear or an ear infection from the hotel pools! The pools at the Villas North was very quiet and relaxing though. Very nice layout with waterfalls. We did venture over to the other side (I guess it is South?) for the water slide a few times. It was much more crowded and crazy over there. Couldn't even get a chair (didn't have this problem at the pools in the North Villas). The kids seemed to enjoy the slide (ages 11, 9 and 7) though they have been on some of the biggest water slides around (think Atlantis), so I"m not sure what they found so appealing about this slide - maybe just because there were lots of kids around. That being said, the pool was closed a couple of times for "accidents". I saw way too many babies in diapers and swim diapers around. They really need to keep babies out of these pools. It is disgusting.
Service was pretty good. Didn't really come in to much contact with personnel as we were on the beach all day or sightseeing, so really spent minimal time inside. We ate lunch a couple of times at the pool restaurant (can't think of the name). The service was good but as usual with resort food, it was pricey and marginal. Not much of a selection for a vegetarian (though I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised about how vegetarian/vegan friendly Maui was! Even the remotest roadside stands on the Road to Hana touted vegetarian food. It was much more progressive as far as vegetarianism than any other area I have traveled to in the US and Mexico and beats NJ by a mile!).
We did have a few minor issues with house keeping. They come in once during the week to refresh towels/linens, etc. They did not replace the soap. We called down twice to get more and when they finally came, they brought shampoo and conditioner and no soap! ????
We also had a very unpleasant experience with a worker in the towel hut at the pool on the South side. The day the pool was closed down for the "accident", we were getting towels. I noticed the pool was all roped off with a police line (no kidding!). I asked what happened and some smart a$$ in the pool hut said "She pooped in the pool" and pointed at my 9 year old daughter! ?? What the heck? Obviously he thought he was being funny but it was disgraceful behavior. We were absolutely shocked. My daughter was devastated and mortified. What a complete loser! I have never encountered something like this and from an adult (I would expect this from my 7 year old but not a resort worker!).

The location was good. Very close to Lahaina which is where we ate most nights. I highly recommend Mala for dinner! Great service and wonderful food. Hula in Whaler's Village was good. I also hear there are quite a few restaurants in Kapalua in the hotels but we didn't get a chance to go that way.

I recommend trying the beach at Napili Beach (about a 10 minute drive). It was beautiful. Also very calm and clear and they had some awesome tidal pools in the lava rocks that the kids loved investigating in!
We would certainly return to this property and are already thinking about next summer.

1  Thank momto3kids
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2010

Aloha!
Maui and its beaches are a magical paradise. Keka’a Beach (in front of the resort) is surely a beach that has that magic you will never forget. I am glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves on one of our mystical natural island wonders.
Your comments regarding your stay have concerned me as we continually strive to make everyone’s stay remarkable. In your case, we have missed the mark and thank you for your honest feedback. I have forwarded your review to our team for immediate follow up. We wish to personally discuss your stay with us. I have sent you a private message to send me your preferred contact information so that one of our team members can reach out to you.
Again we sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to our Westin family soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2010

Stayed here in August for 3 nights. Wish we'd stayed longer. Had minor issue at check in with the room given to us not the one we had requested or to our liking. As the hotel was almost fully booked it took a while to get a room in the category we had booked that was not occupied. However at the end Sonia Steverson (office manager) was able to find one that we were very happy with and at a lower rate. In addition for our troubles she gave us voucher for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Thank you Sonia you were wonderful. We were in a studio in the north side villas. Very spacious and clean with a king bed, a sofa bed and a balcony. Kitchen was very nice. Bathroom was amazing with a tub and separate shower. Usually i'm hesistant to book rooms with kitchens as they can be quite dirty and smell, however this one was very clean and well kept. Resort is nicely spread out and never seemed overly crowded. Had breakfast at the Ocean pool bar one morning. It was alright, no omelette station. I would think most guests probably make their own breakfast as all rooms are equipped with kitchen. Overall had a great time and would definitely come back and stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 31 in Lahaina
The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!