“AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING....ALREADY SAVING TO GO BACK”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Upper Holland
“AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING....ALREADY SAVING TO GO BACK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

We have saved up for this trip to Oahu and Maui with my two teenage kids and a teenage friend for over 3 years. Of course we wanted everything to be special since we were celebrating our 20 year anniversary (we went to Hawaii for our honeymoon) and my daughters special birthday. I was hesitant at first only because I had read different reviews as to which hotel I wanted to choose. I contacted The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas with some of my concerns. I got a response from the Operations Coordinator Sulinn who helped ease my worries and made our visit as wonderful as it was. We decided to chose The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas and I am so very happy that we did. From the very beginning we were treated so well. From the bellhops and parking crew to the front desk where we were greeted with smiles of a very helpful Sheena. Everything went very smoothly and if something wasn't as it should be it was made right immediately always with a smile and no problem attitude. The facility was amazing, the rooms beautiful, very roomy and clean....a home away from home. We ate at the Italian restaurant the first night and it was delicious. The pools were great , my family especially loved the big pool with the slide. We ate breakfast at the Ocean Poolside restaurant every morning, the buffet was very good. If you any questions and/or want to plan just about anything their are concierges all over the complex. There really is everything you need at your finger tips. The hotel was at a great location on Kaanapali beach, not on the strip but only minutes from the strip and front street. The grounds are immaculate, with coy fish in all the ponds. They offered all kinds of activities for all ages. January is a great time to go, it is whale season, we had a daily show several times throughout the day right from our beach of whales playing, it was a great sight to see. We are already saving up for our next trip back, and will most definitely stay at The Westen Kannapali Ocean Resort Villas!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your “Amazing, Amazing, Amazing” experience. We can’t say enough how delighted we are to hear that we will be welcoming you back to Maui in the future. We realize that families spend a lot time and effort saving up to have that extraordinary Maui vacation and are so happy that we were able to be a part of yours. On behalf of our entire staff, we would like to sincerely thank you for choosing us as your “home away from home” for your family. We wish you a great year and can’t wait to see you all again.
Mahalo,
Sulinn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,082)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week at the WKORV. We were a little concerned after reading some of the reviews but found the resort staff to be very helpful and willing to please. Our one bedroom was in the South villas and the rooms and lanai were very spacious. The entire unit appeared to be recently updated with granite counters (kitchen and bath) and new appliances. The jacuzzi tub was also large and nice. We had everything we needed to cook even though we did very little cooking. There were too many good restaurants to explore although restaurants on Maui are not cheap...especially the ones on site at the resort. Definitely try the Hula Grill and CJ's restaurant. Both were very good and priced about right for Maui. The location of this resort on Ka'anapali Beach is excellent and the beach walk is very nice. The grounds are maintained very well. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone looking for a nice, convenient, relaxing place to stay. If I get a chance to return to Hawaii, I would definitely stay at the WKORV.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

We had some problems that made this resort fall below the normal Westin level. However, it is a beautiful resort with great amenities in an excellent location. We rented it from someone on redweek and were very pleased with the price we got. The three problems were with (1) housekeeping (2) the italian restaurant on site and (3) the spa.

A few hours after we arrived I noticed that my 8 month old daughters legs were all dirty. She had been crawling around on the carpet. I checked the carpet and noticed it was wet. I called down to the front desk to inquire and they informed me that housekeeping probably had cleaned it. While that would normally be great, I was worried about it because it was still wet and my daughter had been crawling on it. Housekeeping informed us it had been steam cleaned. They asked us not to allow our daughter to crawl on it until they could dry it. When I inquired further (because she had been on it) they told me the substances used were "not that toxic". Considering housekeeping put the crib and highchair in our suite, I was not pleased that they didn't want my daughter on the floor and didn't bother to say anything.

We decided to try the italian buffet at the on site restaurant. I would not recommend it. I have been to other italian buffets and they are much better. The pasta was not very pleasant after sitting in dishes for a while. In my experience, a restaurant of that quality would do pasta stations rather than leaving the pasta to sit in dishes. However, the real kicker was that even though the waitress told us on our arrival that my 8 month old daughter was free when I fed her 2 pieces of fruit and some noodles from the pasta buffet they charged $15 for her meal. I did not think that was very classy.

The final issue was the spa. My husband decided to treat me with a GC to the spa. Unfortunately, I never got to go because it took them 3 days to get it to us after repeatedly making him wait in the room for the GC to arrive and then leaving me a message about it - ruining the surprise. The upside was that the spa took responsibility for their failures and gave us a nice little basket to apologize.

All in all, gorgeous resort, great rooms (we were upgraded on arrival to ocean front!) fantastic location, nice grounds BUT simply not the level we expect of a Westin.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
Aloha and mahalo for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for these issues you have commented on. It is our personal commitment to provide our guests with service excellence. In your case, we clearly fell short. We would be pleased to have the opportunity to hear more in detail about these occurrences you have experienced. I have sent you a private message requesting your preferred contact information, so that we may reach out to you and attempt to restore your faith in us. Again we apologize and look forward to hearing from you.
Mahalo,
Sulinn
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

We stayed there one week in a large one bedroom, comfortable enough for a family of five. In many ways, this resort is very similar to other starwood villa resorts in terms of villa layout, overpriced but nice on site markets and restaurants, large beautiful swimming pools and manicured grounds. Unique to this resort is the availability of lanais which either offer a magnificent view with pacific ocean, frolicking whales and glorious neighboring islands vs...a really boring parking lot (aka "island view") for rooms in building 6.
The hotel is very well located, within walking distance of restaurant areas. The beach is lovely. Many great activities for children: movies, smores by the beach, art activities etc...
A definitely wonderful vacation spot.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Britton, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

just got back from the westin kaanapali ocean resort north. can not say enough good about the resort. must say we were skeptical, as we have never done an vacation ownership exchange and were afraid of the worst. from the time the valet opened up our villa to the time we checked out , we were impressed with everything. our villa was in bldg 8 on the 4th floor,great view to ocean and had open lot to the north. drinking coffee and watching the whales, and hearing the morning surf from our lanai were ever so relaxing.
did most of our own cooking as the grill were plentiful and the villas were all supplied with all the utensils.
the resort never felt crowed always was able to get chairs by the pool and used the adult pool by bldg 8 a lot.
looking forward to a return trip.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

We've stayed at this resort 3 times now (all in the North Villas), the last being August 2010 with another couple in the 2 bedroom lock-off. We are SVO owners at the Kauai property but trade and stay here sometimes as well.

I would say if you are looking for the most tropical, Polynesian or romantic place to stay in Maui with 5* services this would not be your first choice. However, it does have a great beachfront location (the beach is nice and not usually crowded as it seems most guests stay by the pool - we prefer the beach), it has a casual elegance to it, the grounds are nice and the rooms are spacious. The restaurant food was good but it seems always a little "without atmosphere" and the pool bar is just "ok". It grounds also seems to handle the guests well even at full capacity.

The reason we like to stay here is it's centrally located and it's a condo and not a hotel. We like the feeling of having a home away from home type room. To get the full benefit of the place is to stop at the grocery store on the way in (the onsite mini store is very expensive) and stock up on breakfast stuff, lunch stuff and drinks. Eat breakfast in while relaxing on the balcony, then pack your lunch and head to one of the many awesome beaches, then mix yourself a pre-dinner cocktail at night and watch the sunset, then get a cab or take the complimentary shuttle into Lahaina for a great dinner and some nightlife!

(Also, the South Villas are more kid oriented, these North Villas are quieter)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to Maui. It was fabulous. Quiet, well-staffed, good service, all the amenities. We had a nice studio overlooking the main courtyard in the north building, which I think is a little quieter than the south building (kid-wise). The conceirge and front desk were very helpful and accomodating, and the facilities were fantastic. We appreciated their "green" program and were happy to take free buffet breakfasts in exchange for unnecessary room cleaning! The room, for being a studio, seemed large. Kitchenette is a must--saved us a ton of $$ on expensive Maui!! The beach is very accessible, but beware--the beach slopes to the water quite sharply and there is coral just offshore. Not the most swim-friendly beach for kids, I think, but just down the beach the conditions are better. The hotel shuttle into Lahaina and to the other Starwood properties was very convienent and we used it often!
Overwall we had a great stay and would definitely come back:)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple