“The fish condo A-406”

Hale Mahina Beach Resort
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I was extremely pleased with our stay at the "Fish condo" A-406. The folks that manage it are very through and thought of every detail. I have no doubt this is the best condo in the complex. I will be going back in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We loved our stay at Hale Mahina. The condo is close to Kaanapali and Lahaina, but far enough to avoid their crowded beaches and general noise. It doesn't get any better than a private lanai only a few steps to the ocean shore, and AMAZING sunsets every night. We saw several sea turtles swimming and sleeping on the beach during our visit. The best thing about Hale Mahina is how quiet it is! Even with the pool close by, all the guests and residents are very respectful of others. Owners Garrett and Dianna are very hospitable and welcomed us with a "Maui fruit basket". They also keep lots of beach gear for visitors to borrow during their stay: snorkels, masks, beach towels, etc. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Rebecca L
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Our family of 4 had a wonderful stay at the Fish Condo. This unit was fabulous with a beautiful ocean front view, a wonderful master and guest bedroom that had very comfortable beds, linens etc. The place is so peaceful at night time sitting by the pool or listening to the waves crash from the balcony. Everyone at the Hale Mahina were so friendly and the location was exceptional. We ate at Dukes (5 minutes away), shopped at the Whalers Village and Lahina (10 minutes max), and loved going to Napili Bay (5 minutes away). Our daughters ages 15 and 13 never wanted to leave the condo! We would recommend this Condo and expecially this unit to anyone.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 4th floor are wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed 22 July 2013

After a week on Oahu with family my wife and I were ready for some quiet time. We had invited our favorite travel friends for a week on Maui and found the Fish Condo (A-406 at Hale Mahina) just north of Lahaina. All the reviews we found were outstanding, which made us somewhat suspicious, but from our initial contact with the owner we began to understand why. Not only do the pictures truly represent the condo but every contact and email we had with the owners was fantastic. The condo was perfectly setup to meet all our needs and the location could not have been better. If we ever find ourselves making a trip to Maui again we will definitely look at the Fish Condo first.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Our family loved the Hale Mahina! We stayed right before Christmas and didn't want to leave. We swam with the turtles everyday! The kids played in the pool and hot tub. We read books on the lanai and watched the sunsets and waves break directly in front of us. It was great having a beach to yourself! The condo was perfect for our family. The beds were comfortable and the kitchen and living room were plenty big enough. It was clean and nicely decorated. We were greeted with a bowl of local fruits which we enjoyed immediately! The condo is located near grocery stores, restaurants, and a paved beach walk near the larger hotels. You can walk to most of these, but we drove because of the kids. The snorkeling is OK here, but it is better up the road at Kapalua beach. The thing about this place is, it feels like a home, not a hotel. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathy C
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife made the resos after a recommendation from her friend. There are certainly aspects of this place I would rate higher than a 3. The view is terrific and the ground/beach are great. Private and kept up well. The room was pretty nice but was laid out kinda funky and could stand some updating. Left at that this is a 4 for sure. However this place is really noisy and I mean really. Some nites were better than others, but apparently her friend failed to mention they bring earplugs. Also I like to meander around where we stay. You can walk a VERY limited beach, but there really isn't much else. A couple of areas a ways south, but nothing basically around here. We drove everywhere and walked very little. The opposite of what I'd like to do. Adequate, but if I had been choosing, I would have gone somewhere else for a different area. Everyone I talked to liked the facilities, except the noise. I think some units are better than ours.

Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank James B
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed 5 nights in June 2013. 2 adults, 3 kids (ages 8,5,1). We rented room A405, a two room, two bathroom condo on the top floor of the resort.

Pros:
Management: Beth (the owner) is great. Very responsive, easy to work with. No issues at all. She makes sure you have what you need.

Value: Great value for the price. No concerns with the price. very reasonable for a beachfront condo on Maui.

The Condo: The rooms were great. Great beds, 1 king, 1 queen, and a pull out couch. Large kitchen with everything you need to cook. 2 bathrooms, 2 showers/baths. Family room was a good size. Balcony was great. LIterally right on top of the ocean. Room was very clean. The room also has boggie boards, life jackets, beach toys, beach towels, beach chairs, snorkle gear. We brought all of that as we'd stayed in Oahu, but nice to know it's there if needed.

The Beach: Perfect! You essentially have you own beach. It's amazing! We had huge sea turtles swimming by every 10 mins, even had some come on shore to sun bath. That was amazing. The sand is perfect. There are some coral reefs to one side of the condo where we snorkled. Waves are mild. Kids could boggie board, but not adults. The beach was never crowded. Typically had it our ourselves or shared it with 3-4 more people. We didn't leave the condo for the first 3 days because we didn't need to.

Resort: The pool is great. Clean, great temp. Also has a hot tub. The best part of the resort is that there is a large grassy area before the beach. The condo provides beach chairs which you can keep on the grass and not get everything so sandy. Was great for us since we had young kids. I was also amazed at how well the grounds are maintained. Landscaping is perfect.

Location: Lahaina is a great town in Maui. 30-40 min drive from the airport. Lots of shopping and restaurants. Only a 5 minute drive to DT Flemming Beach (Top US Beach Trip Advisor 2006) and Ka'anapali Beach (Top US Beach Trip Advisor 2013).

DT Flemming Beach Park was the highlight of my time in Maui. Perfect waves for boggie boarding. I could spend days at this beach. We went twice. BIt too rough for smaller kids, but my 8 year old was able to boggie board with me with just a few minor wipe outs. I loved this beach. Not crowded, great waves, soft sand. A slice of heaven.

Also a very short drive (<5 mins) to a supermarket. We cooked most meals at the condo. The store has everything. No need to stop at Walmart by the airport. This one is much better, fewer crowds, and good prices.

Cons:
Condo doesn't have AC. with the windows open and fans you don't need it. you'll be fine as the temp is usually mild and there is always a strong breeze. But it did make it loud to have the windows open at times. There is a fairly busy road behind the condo. For the most part, not a big deal. Could only hear outside noise in the first bedroom. That's the only negative from my perspective.

We loved our stay in the Hale Mahina. I read reviews that the onsite property manager is unpleasant. We had no issues. Only saw him once a day when he was cleaning the pool. He was great. I'm not sure you can beat this location. Private beautiful beach (with turtles) and close access to some of the best beaches in Hawaii. Highly recommended and we would return.

Room Tip: 4th floor (top floor) has amazing views and gets a great breeze. Room A405 was great. bottom floor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family