“Best kept secert on Maui”

Hale Mahina Beach Resort
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Hale Mahina Beach Resort on Maui in unit A-202. We have stayed at this resort since 1986 and Unit A-202 is the best. Jacie and Jon, the owners have recently remodeled and decorated it with the best of everything. Jacie even furnishes enough lotion, shampoo and conditioner to last a few days just like the hotels. The view from the lanai is wonderful to sit and watch the whales go by. If you want a beautiful home away from home call Jacie, she is wonderful to work with.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lovesthesun1

Reviewed 31 March 2009

Saying in the write up that this was first class accommodation was a mistake. The racks in the dishwasher were so rusted that you did not want to put your dishes in there to get clean. When we arrived they had left us with no toilet paper and that was the first thing we had to go out to get. The washing machine and dishwasher were void of any buttons to select a type of wash or water temp. They have taken them right out of the machine. Your option was cold. The unit is quite out of date and really needed updating. The fridge was newer and a full size which was good because we had to keep every stitch of food in it. I killed ants every night. Hundreds of them. They could be found in the kitchen on the counter every morning and hundreds on the wall in the living room that I tried to kill every morning and again in the evening. Also a steady stream out on the lanai that you saw crawling towards the windows. The location is great and is so close to the beach but this unit is not somewhere I would recommend. I think maybe other units would be fine at this complex. I would never rent from these people again. I did write them an email after I got home and have had no response. We are not fancy people, but just wanted a nice place to stay. There is more I could complain about but lets just say it put a damper on our holiday. You work hard all year and plan a get away that is suppose to be a big deal and then you get a condo like this with owners that don't seem to care.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank Karen D
MauiCondos2, Owner at Hale Mahina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2009

We are owners of Hale Mahina B206 and believe that the previous review (Hale Mahina unit B206 a disappointment) was grossly unfair. First, ants are a fact of life in Hawaii that must be dealt with; however, the tenant did not contact us, the resident manager, or the maid service; if they had the issue would have taken care of them immediately. The toilet paper issue should not have occurred and it was an oversight on the part of the maid service--again if they had contacted the maid service it would have been taken care of immediately. "Most things were old and out of date" is simply not true. The stove, microwave, sofa, and chair in the front room are all less than 2 year old. Also since the last review was written the washer/dryer unit and the dishwasher have been replaced. Many of our guests are repeat business and recognize the wonderful value they are getting.

Reviewed 29 March 2009

My wife and I got married on Maui on March 10th. After a lot of research we choose A202 at Hale Mahina as the place to stay for our honeymoon. The owners, Jackie and Jon, were great. Words can't express the service that was given to us from the day we had interest in renting the condo. Jackie answered every questions we had. She always went over and above her her duties for us. We couldn't have asked for a better condo/honeymoon. The condo was beautiful in and out. You can't beat the views from the Lanai. The condo has everything you need. Outside the grounds are well maintained and you don't have a lot of people to deal with. I was afraid to write this review because my wife and I are thinking about going back to A202 for our one year anniversary. Bottom line is if you are reading this review stop here and contact Jackie and Jon. You won't find a better condo!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rogo4PSU
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We stayed in B306 for two wonderful weeks. The condo is beautiful - one of the nicest I've ever stayed in. The location was direct ocean front with a small private beach. The owner is so easy to work with and planned everything you need to have a relaxing time. I've read some complaints regarding children and the management seeming unfriendly but when we were there that didn't seem to be a problem. All the children were well behaved but I never saw the manager hovering around to make sure they stayed that way. I highly recommend this condo. By the way, because of the location in the complex, street noise was not a problem either - and, because it is an end unit, no one is walking by your place in paradise to get to their condo - plus you have windows on the two sides instead of just front and back. Great place to stay and beats a hotel by a mile!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelanieWays
Reviewed 8 March 2009

The customer service sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Twice I called to ask a few questions before I arrived and they rushed me of the phone, asked what did I want to know in a tone that I was bothering them, and hung up on me twice-both male/female. I am changing my stay to elsewhere before I arrive and do not recommend this place at all-this is how they're treating me now, I can only imagine what would happen once I arrived. Do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank nothappyII
fishlady406A, The owner of another property at the Hale Mahina Beach Resort at Hale Mahina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2009

Dear Unhappy II,

I am very sad to hear that you were treated poorly and dissatisfied with the customer service you received at the Hale Mahina Beach Resort. (Unfortunately, there was no mention of the unit number you were trying to book... that would be helpful to future renters.)

I would like to point out that each unit is individually owned and operated and that there are lots of wonderful customer service oriented owners at this resort that are friendly, helpful and will take good care of you!

Next time you are planning a trip to Maui please give us another chance so we can prove to you that you can have a great rental experience at the Hale Mahina Beach Resort! This is a fabulous resort! (See the dozens of positive reviews listed on TripAdvisor.com.)

Mahalo!

Reviewed 8 March 2009

My wife and I found the Hale Mahina through a travel agent in 2006. Since we had a good experience then, I booked a different unit at Hale Mahina for an anniversary trip in March 09. We had a great experience this time, the same as we did in 06. But, please note that so much depends on the unit that you reserve. Some units are in great shape, others are in that "funky but workable" space. The A building is older but has a direct view to the west of the sunset. The B building is where we have stayed twice now and is just fine. I wouldn't stay on the 1st or 2nd floors since the view out to the ocean (it's right in front of you) is best on levels 2 and 3.

We stayed in a unit on the 3rd floor of the B building that is not usually rented to the public. I worked through the resident manager Lynne since it was a special event trip and all the other units were booked. The unit was recently updated (nice!) and was everything we needed for our trip.

We met some people who rented B302 and their unit was pretty dated. Sure, it was usable and safe, but the appliances were old, the floor had a dip in it when you walked on it, the bathroom had signs of water damage, etc. Before you book a unit, make sure you get current photos of the unit or just read the reviews on TripAdvisor to get the most current information.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pauloregon
Reviewed 31 January 2009

If anyone is interested in visiting Maui, Hawaii then I would recommend Hale Mahina Beach Resort Unit A202. This my second trip to Hawaii and I must say that I had a far better time during this vacation in comparison to my last one. The condos are located on a private beach and the accommodations are simply wonderful. The owners of the Unit A202 are very informative and helpful. Whenever I needed ideas of what to do the owners were always helpful at giving great ideas. If you want to have a wonderful experience in Hawaii contact www.alohamahinacondo.com.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank IchiKafka