“Staff reward trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Murrieta, California
“Staff reward trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Ok, the Residence ruined it for me. I will no longer stay anywhere else when I come to Maui. I have been to this island about 20 times over the past 20 years for work and once for pleasure. I have stayed in condos, hotels and this was by far my best place to stay. We had the three room villa and had a fantastic time. The place is under renovation but they were not working during our stay even though we were advised that they would be working. My staff arrived a day before I did and I had them stay in Lahaina at a resort. They were fine with the experience but were overwhelmed when I brought them to this place for the rest of our stay.
Rob, the valet guy to Kristen in reservations, the service was great, worthy of me sharing in my presentations (I am a leadership expert/keynoter) with groups. The weather was spotty but the accommodations made up for the off / on sun poking out. In fact, the staff would have stayed in the room if I did not force them to go out and see the island. Being from the West coast, it was great to rise early, sip coffee while sitting on the lanai watching the ocean.
The kitchen allowed me to cook the final night dinner for my staff (5) and the 3 friends who were on the island at the same time. The cleanliness, locale, and the staff were wonderful. If you have been to Hawaii, you knew that you can find " dated" and underwhelming places to stay... this is not one of them. It may be a bit pricier but at this stage in my life, I am worth it, have had my share of budget rooms and if I am going to fly my staff over we should enjoy the place where we are laying our heads down at night. I know this is becoming a Montage property so it is only going to get better. My biggest challenge was getting the Bose sound system to work. Life should be so rough.
Thanks for the great experience and I look forward to returning a lot sooner than I had planned. Kudos to all.
Norm

Room Tip: Face the ocean and get the middle section so you can see the sun set. We were on the edge behind a b...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Asknorm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Joplin, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived to a warm welcome after a long day of travel. The Residences is located in a quiet and serene location. The staff went out their way to remember our names and interest. Construction is occuring, but we were informed ahead of arrival and really wasn't an issue. The only issue we had was the family above not controlling their children's noise level. At times we thought it was thundering, unsure what they were doing. Next visit we will request top floor. We went down to Westin area shopping and for surf lessons, but we were glad to return to a quiet location. If you have rental car Lahaina is an easy drive to restaurants and activities.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sherry S
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Yes, there is construction going on. However, it rarely impacted us and the staff made a significant effort to ensure we had a great stay. You will see equipment and workmen who will politely let you pass. Would it be better if they weren't there, sure, but don't let it stop you from staying here. We had a 5th floor, 3 bedroom unit that was HUGE and had everything you could possibly want, top of the line appliances, beautiful bathrooms and a large balcony. The staff could not have been more friendly. They always asked where we were off to and offered opinions and advice. The food at the restaurant and at the pool was great and the service was too. The breakfast spot did take some time to get the food out and one meal was not hot but honestly, that was the only negative in 8 days and it was minor. The maid service was also excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Best island/resort/ service that I have ever been especially with family and flexibility to eat home cooked healthy meals and had been to a lot of places before !

The rooms, halls and kitcchen are very spacious and feels like living in a three bedroom house with maid servicea (am and pm) and they also have bar and grill area to eat if you don't feel like cooking plus the ability to wash clothes if you stay for a week and want to travel light !

1 Thank olivesofiegm
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a beautiful resort and will be lovely when construction work is complete, but be aware before you book that there are multiple crews working all over the property - buildings, roofs, decks, elevators, lobby, restaurant, pools February until at least May 2014.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank sc3mv
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

After 15+ vacations to Hawaii (between the two of us) and travels around the world, this is all around the most memorable and exceptional resort we've stayed at.
The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained, the pools are unforgettable (serenity pool followed by more pools/grottos overlooking the ocean), views (whale blowholes and clear sunsets even from the lanai) were dynamite. The beach and tide pools were so nice that we barely left the resort. The rooms were large, clean, bright, comfortable, and quiet. The menu at the restaurant was limited, but everything on it was delicious (down to the perfectly cooked jasmine rice). We also loved the koi pond, and details like the herb garden.
We're a bit biased, as my then boyfriend and now fiancee, proposed at the Kapalua Bay beach at sunset, right after a turtle swam up towards shore.
The exceptional service at The Residences at Kapalua Bay started from the moment that we stepped on the property as we were greeted with warm smiles. The staff went the extra mile to make our engagement extra special - they put together a stunning bouquet of flowers from the grounds and every employee genuinely congratulated us throughout our stay. The front of house, Caitlin (and her very sweet sister Casey) and housekeeping really stood out to us. Caitlin unprompted, took, printed, and framed photos of our engagement and sent them to our room! Even the bartenders gave us tips on places to go and see, treated us to an engagement toast, and told us that if there was anything we shouldn't hesitate to ask... Honestly, we didn't even need to ask because everything was flawless. We were treated like family here.
My whole family (including my 5 year old nephew who loved the pool, my mom who enjoyed the yoga classes) had a wonderful and relaxing vacation thanks to The Residences. Needless to say, we were sad to leave... I teared up when the concierge hugged me goodbye, but my fiancee promised that we'd be back!
A huge thank you to the staff at The Residences at Kapalua Bay!

2 Thank mpaowered
Saratoga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

From the moment we pulled up to the valet to our departure 6 days later, everyone at the Residences at Kapalua Bay (now managed by Montage) made our trip amazing and special. Prior to our arrival, we were contacted by Ted the concierge, who offered us various options for activities and arranged for a sunset dinner reservation at Merriman's. My sister's boyfriend was planning a proposal on our 2nd day, and the entire resort seemed in on the surprise. A special thanks to sisters Casey and Caitlyn who went above and beyond to make my sister's special trip so wonderful and personal (they were able to capture my sister and fiance's special moment on the beach on film and had the photos printed and delivered to their room at turn down service as a surprise). We have stayed in many 5 star resorts and hotels in our many years of travel, and the Residences exceeded our every expectation -- from the Frette sheets and comfy beds to the delicious (albeit limited) menus at the Sunset Grill & Bar (hopefully by the time Montage full takes over and redevelops the restaurant, there might be room service??). The pool is perfect for all ages - with tiers for kids, from baby to teenage, and a serenity pool exclusively for adults. Kapalua beach is a mere 3 minute stroll (towels & chairs are complimentary for guests of the Residences).

We can't say enough wonderful things about this amazing place, and eagerly await our next trip back to this little slice of paradise!

Room Tip: We had two 3-bedroom units (3303 and 3401) which were both wonderful. 3401 had a slightly better vi...
1 Thank blueblood2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Montage Kapalua Bay? Share your experiences!