“Great Benihana style restaurant”

Kobe' Japanese Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Kobe' Japanese Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 275 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luakini
Transit: The Maui Bus stops at the Wharf Shopping center 1/2 block from the restuarant.
Description: Enjoy the exciting, ancient art of teppanyaki cooking at the restaurant voted number 1 Japanese restaurant on Maui. Teppanyaki is derived from "teppan" which means iron plate and "yaki" which means grilled. At Kobe, it is delivered with the style and grace of a Japanese country inn. Blend in the gentle aloha of Hawaii, you will experience an evening where terrific food and entertainment are the perfect combination. After a delicious bowl of shabu-shabu soup, your teppan chef will begin to cook up an entrée of dishes, right in front of you, cooking it to tasty perfection, while watching him do the "flaming onion volcano", one of their many culinary tricks. Another favorite at Kobe is to sit in the sunken sushi bar and order one of uncle Oku's fabulous daily specials and enjoy watching the chefs masterfully create their delicious sushi. Oku prides himself on the high quality of fresh fish he chooses from local vendors. Approximately 95% of Oku's fish comes from Hawaii, and the balance of his menu consists of exotic items imported from Japan. The restaurant décor features many historical ornaments and artifacts to provide an authentic feel of Japan, the mother country. Kobe Japanese Steak House & Oku's Sushi Bar delights visiting guests and Island locals alike. Come and join us for a great meal today!
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great restaurant. Prices are reasonable. They cook right at your table. The chef puts on a great show.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I come here whenever I'm in Maui. I love this place! It's so much fun! The food is always good, the drinks are delicious and you get an awesome show while your dinner is being cooked. My husband and I love sitting at the tables and meeting new people. We'll be going back very shortly!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We ate here twice during our stay. In addition to preparing the food at your table, they have a dedicated sushi bar, which makes this a one stop for the Japanese food addict. Reservations are recommended, and they offer a $5 rebate toward the $10 for parking across the street. You can park there all evening, but you have to bring your ticket in to the restaurant for the rebate and they keep the ticket, so don't do this until you are ready to leave Lahaina.

I had the steak and chicken combo. The first time my dinner was great. The second time there were some bites of chicken and steak that I could not chew, so it's a mixed review on that night. My daughter had sushi and said it was good. The prices are much better than the Teppan Yaki Dan at the Sheraton (about 40% less) and having eaten both places, I would say they are comparable in quality.

4  Thank travelNReviewer
Reviewed 20 June 2014

the head chef is very talented with his knifes and gave a good show, The shrimo pupu was very good as well as then chicken and beef teppanyaki.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Always fun having teppanyaki and the show that goes with it. Kobe was more or less on par with the others.

But let's start from the top! Arrived about 18 minutes late for our 6:00pm reservations, due to no fault of our own. We left the hotel in plenty of time, but ran into construction and the subsequent bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way. When I gave the guy at the front desk my name and told him I had reservations, he gave me the dirtiest of looks, and said, "Oh, you had 6 o'clock reservations" in a very rude manner. I guess everyone is on island time but them. You run late and you'll be scolded!

So he looks into the restaurant area for available seats and tells us to sit at the bar, it will be a few minutes. We didn't even have a chance to pull the barstools out, when he then ushered us into the restaurant. I guess those seats weren't open 10 seconds earlier? Who knows?

In any event, the show did not disappoint, though the chef wasn't nearly as good as ones I have seen before. No cracking the egg on the spatula, and a couple stray shrimp tails came to rest on his shoulder instead of in his hat. Whoops!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!: At every teppanyaki restaurant I have ever been to, there is always seafood, and accordingly, I have ALWAYS been asked if I have seafood allergies, which I do. I am allergic to crustaceans, specifically shrimp. I don't get rashes and swell up and die or anything, but I do get sick and throw up.

With everything cooked together on the teppan, you can see where this might be an issue. Luckily for me, I don't get sick when it's cooked together with other stuff, but what about other people? Not good!

Perhaps they don't believe in air conditioning in Japan (??), but in a Maui teppanyaki, it's a must! The air was literally so thick, you could have cut it with one of the cooking knives. It was ridiculously hot and stuffy and I sweated through the entire dinner. Perhaps that's how they get you to buy more of the expensive drinks, which were just so-so. Or since it's fairly crowded, that's perhaps the method to get people to eat quickly and get the heck out. Either way, it was awful. It felt like I was eating in a factory somewhere. It was also incredibly loud in there. You couldn't hear yourself think, much less talk to the person sitting next to you. I had to yell to converse with my girlfriend, who was seated quite literally no more than a foot away.

If you've hung in to my review this long, you're probably wondering the most important part. How the heck was the food? It was okay. It was on par with other restaurants of this kind (though the dipping sauces were heavenly), and the portions were reasonably big. The garlic fried rice was a little dry and bland for my liking. Even generous doses of soy sauce didn't fix it. But the teriyaki steak and chicken were good. Didn't blow my mind or anything. Again, it was pretty on-par with other restaurants of this caliber.

The price was certainly expensive. After drinks, it was over $100 for two of us. While yes, the teppanyaki experience is different, $100 is a pair of really good steaks at a gourmet restaurant. Would I be back? Probably not.