“Lahaina lunacy”
Review of Tiki Beach Hostel

Tiki Beach Hostel
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hate to say it but , Kimo , Chris and the staff are cool but unprofessional , this place is mismanaged to the max ! After a phone call about my check in no was at the Hostel to check me in ! Door was open ( not very safe ) drop off my bags and headed to the beach ... That night Kimo showed up to check me in with a it's all good attitude ( no it's not all good or safe ) and had to pay with cash only ? the backyard is in NO WAY ...A tiki garden. No flowers , only dirt and a filthy outdoor bathroom that made me sick . The Hostel is on a loud street but ....is near the Beach but so is every hostel in Lahaina --and when I stayed there no one else was staying there -- You do not get much bag for the buck here , only payed one night ( highest price dorm in Hawaii ) cut my stay short, Then moved to the North shore

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Barry D

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Kimo the manager had lost our reservation , That was the first problem we encountered at the Tiki Hale ! The Rooms are very small no room for baggage and four people , The center piece as they call it on there Web site the garden was nothing like I had expected ,It was almost depressing with old lawn furniture miss matched tables and chairs a mini Deck that was useless and no or almost no Flowers our greenery at all you can even see the trash cans at the School next door ! the outdoor Shower Had a slippery film on the floor made me think it was not clean in some time . The Cul de Sac the Hostel is located on is a party street , Three of the houses are full blown party Houses very load at night all night long . there are much better options on Maui Only stayed one Night ,

Room Tip: stop by at night before you check in !
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nancysdream
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location is perfect with only 30 meters to the beach and Lahaina breakwall surf spot. Hostel is rather small and atmosphere is really warm and cozy and felt at least for me more like a family than just a hostel. All the facilities are very good and the backyard is amazingly cozy with everything you need from jungle-like feeling with hammock and nice terrace with music and couch and so on... Many evenings some people were playing music or everybody was having bbq. There is possibility also borrow some beach gear from chairs and snorkels to even surfboards and paddle boards from the hostel and it's also only 5-10 min away from central Lahaina. People working there are awesome and especially they made my stay totally unforgettable. Love it and missing Tiki Hale so much already, have to go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

i know i know... $55 for a dorm bed is a lot of money for us backpackers.
but seriously, it is absolutely WORTH IT!
the tiki hale is the best place to stay on Maui. the beach is literally 1 minute away, you can rent surf gear, snorkeling gear and beach towels for free at the hostel.
if you are looking for a spot to have a nice and chilled vacation, i can highly recommend the tiki hale. the beach offers good beginner-surfing terrain, a beachvolleyball court and amazing sunsets. the backyard of the hostel makes you feel you are staying close to the jungle. nice patio, hammock, bbq, palm trees and an outdoor shower (very cool).
the staff is very helpful and happy to help you with any questions you might have. came here by myself and met people from all over the world to organize trips on the island together.
in the evenings the whole hostel cooked together a couple of times. made me feel like being part of a big family... and again, the beach is so close, unreal! if you fancy heading into town, it is less than a 10minute walk to the centre of lahaina.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Christian A
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed there for a week and was going to stay at another hostel up the road which was further out of the way and far more cramped. But tiki is awesome for location and facility. They have an outside shower which i used every chance i had. There were only 4 beds to the girls room so it wasnt over crowded. The back patio and garden were great after a day at the beach which is less than a 5 min walk. I had a day i wanted to stay outta the sun. I relaxed back there. Napped and hung out with chris. Chis is awesome. Hes social and kind. Loves to meet people, is a good time and easy friend to make. The house was kept up pretty clean. I hated the carpet they put in the bathroom. Kinda nasty with all the foot traffic... Kimo who ran the place was a cool guy too. I was a solo woman traveller. Never felt uneasy. But i did keep to myself more than the average person.
There is a church and school behind the property so be aware you hear little kids playing all day. Better than traffic which is what i hear at home.
One complaint! The office is in the garage which is attached to the ladies room. I was rudely woken at 6 am by kimos boss talking business on the phone who ignored my tapping on the window as a nice... Shut up! But otherwise awesome home n good people.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lingardia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The place is scary. It's a total bummer. I didn't feel safe. The actions and behavior of the staff and Manager made things even worse. It was creeepy. This was possibly the wierdest hostel I have ever stayed at - not a good wierd. I had planned to stay longer but I left as soon as I could. I was just glad to get away to someplace else where I would feel comfortable. If you are an alcoholic or a pot addict, it's the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank TravellerboyUSA
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed in hundreds of hostels all over the world and I can easily say Tiki Hale is by far my favorite hostel the world over.
It's clean, right on the beach, has a GREAT staff (Chris is an amazing host) that creates a very social atmosphere. I can't wait until my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
#2 of 2 in Makawao
Paki Maui Resort
Paki Maui Resort
#29 of 43 in Lahaina

Been to Tiki Beach Hostel? Share your experiences!