“Great family vacation”

Polynesian Shores Condominium Resort
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at Polynesian Shores condo 220 for a week last month with our family. The condo was extremely clean and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and the private beach a real surprise. We swam with the turtles right on the beach and they came so close my 3 and 6 year old nieces were able to see them right by their feet. Sunsets were special and beautiful. I can't wait to come back

Room Tip: Each condo is decorated by its owner. WW found our condo #220 very comfortable and well maintained...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Shanna P

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have travelled all over the world and never have I encountered a more unprofessional and completely rude manager. I cannot understand why the condo association still allows her to work here after so many bad reviews. I can understand one or two complaints as you can't please everyone but Julie has had several poor reviews.
The location of the condos is perfect and beautiful! The grounds are lovely and nicely maintained. Cleanliness of condos needs improvement (spoke with other guests who observed the same).
Unfortunately, I wouldn't stay here again if Julie was still the manager. If you run into any issues with the condo (as of course is normal) Julie will make you feel as if you are being irrational in your request for repair/service. It can really ruin your trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank pjkelleher
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We truly loved our stay at the Polynesian Shores. We stayed in room 225 - although we really wanted a ground floor room, this was the next best thing. You could still hear the waves at night lulling you to sleep. The room was clean and everything in working order. Loved that we got a welcome bag and pineapple. The only thing I wished Polynesian Shores had was a better beach. Though the view was amazing, it was a little rough to get down to the sandy area and the water on this side is not as clear. We did however get to see turtles, dolphins and whales right from the property.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is not the first time that we have stayed at Polynesian Shores. The location is right on the ocean and every room has a great view. This time we stayed in unit 224. This unit was very clean, well supplied and offered a gorgeous and quiet view of the pacific. The property is well maintaned and the location is great. It is only a few miles into Lahaina town and within walking distance of nice beaches and shopping. I would have given this property a 5 star rating if it were not for the rude manager Julie. We had a plumbing problem in our unit during our stay. I did the right thing and called the manager to let her know. Later that day the manager, Julie, called the room and was very rude telling us that nothing was wrong with the plumbing. She spoke to me as if I were a child and scolded me for making her call a plumber when there was no plumbing problem. When I tried to talk to her professionally, she continously cut me off and verbally assaulted me. At this point we only had a few days left on our trip so I tried to forget about it and just enjoy our vacation. Like I said, the property is wonderful and everyone else I came into contact with was friendly and full of Aloha. However, I was so upset by Julie's unproffesionalism that we will never stay here again. No one should be treated like a bad child by the "manager" it is just too much. There are plenty of other rentals in the same area and in the future we will choose another location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank rg717011
polyshores, Owner at Polynesian Shores Condominium Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Aloha, we are sorry for the miscommunication that you experienced between our manager and yourself. The second time you spoke with Julie about being unsuccessful with clearing your plumbing problem, she immediately called a licensed plumber. Julie takes plumbing problems very serious because this could inconvenience all the guest at Polynesian Shores should the water need to be turned off. The plumber did go into your condo and thoroughly check out your two toilets. Julie called to let you know that the plumber, in which we incurred an emergency service charge, did not find any problems. She also explained our policy regarding charges for maintenance, repairs and damaged items that are passed onto the guest that are no fault of the owner or Polynesian Shores. You called the office back regarding our charging of the guest. Julie immediately apologized for her quick judgment, and removed the charge from your bill. Julie checked with me, the owner, to explain that she had waived the charge to you. Therefore, I would see the charge on my statement. This was a courtesy that Julie had extended to you regarding maintenance.
Julie has been working with us for many years. She has many wonderful comments both online and from the comment cards each guest fills out. Julie is the one who oversees the condos to make sure they are clean and well supplied for your comfort and pleasure to use for your stay with us. I am sure this was nothing more than a misunderstanding in communication. I sincerely hope you will return again to Polynesian Shores. Where else can you walk out of you fully equipped condo, at the water’s edge, and swim with the beautiful sea turtles here in paradise on Maui?

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We spent six weeks at Polynesian Shores this winter and could not have asked for a more wonderful vacation. Each unit has an amazing view of the ocean, looking out toward Lanai and Molokai. We stayed in unit 102, and we could watch whales, dolphins, and sea turtles from our lanai, and you can snorkel and swim with the turtles just off-shore. The condo is clean, modern, well furnished, quiet, and comfortable. The bedroom has a king-sized bed, and the room has louvered windows that let in the cool ocean breezes at night. You can even hear the sounds of the surf. The kitchen is well equipped. During our stay, new washers and dryers were installed for the complex. Each unit has a reserved parking spot.
Polynesian Shores has a lovely pool that is rarely crowded, grills for barbecuing, and areas to watch the sun set into the water. There are restaurants, a grocery, a farmers' market, and parks within easy walking distance. Kapalua, Kaanapali, and Lahaina are a few minutes drive away, with many shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
The condo complex is well managed and maintained. Julie, the property manager, is professional, thorough, and friendly. She is committing to solving, quickly and thoroughly, any problems that might arise, and she works hard to make sure each renter's experience there is a good one.
If you would like a beautiful, peaceful place to stay while exploring Maui, you would be hard-pressed to find a better choice than Polynesian Shores.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Traveler2044
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had a conversation with a work-mate today about her upcoming trip back to Maui in April and wanted to give a "shout-out" to Polynesian Shores! My wife and I will return to Maui on September 5 and will be there until October 5! We will again stay in our favorite unit, #118!! This will be our 4th year coming to Maui, and 3 of those years we have stayed in the wonderful corner unit! Quite frankly we have come to feel that our visits there are like "coming home, not coming to visit". I was telling my friend that we stayed in a unit that was comfortable, well stocked with utensils, a great bed, living room/sitting area, perfectly sized kitchen, and when we weren't outside on the lanai in the evening, good TV's in the living room for me and a good TV in the bedroom for my wife to watch her favorite shows. I would always read the guest entries in the "Guest Book", and I was always impressed with the perceptions of those having stayed before us. You could feel the comfort that visitors had while staying in the unit and it made me feel happy to know that we shared similar feelings. Coming to the island in September has become a tradition for us. We like the slower pace, the freedom to walk the community, visit our many friends that have become our family, and enjoy the warmth, rainbows and fresh food! During this time of the year, being in the corner unit promotes a very cooling crosswind, which is a blessing! Our visit in September, 2013 also saw our daughter, son-in-law and their 2 children staying at Polynesian Shores, along with our youngest son. Our grand-daughter, Maddie, calls Polynesian Shores and specifically unit 118 "her Hawaii"! Seeing her run from our unit, around the grounds, to the swimming pool area brings smiles to my face! We have had no issues with the unit, and the property manager, Holly has been absolutely great to connect with! During my rental process she has always promptly answered any questions I had, and been very accommodating to my requests. Although we have many opportunities and options relating to where we stay while on Maui, our hearts are tied to Polynesian Shores and "our place", unit 118! I have had the pleasure of telling my Oregon friends, this is "the place to stay" when taking that break from the cold, rain, snow and ice! I look forward to returning to Maui, Polynesian Shores and "our place" for many years to come.

Room Tip: The corner unit, #118, catches a wonderful breeze during the heat of the day!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jimmy B
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Listing is for unit #118
First off the listing on VRBO is not correct. It says amenities "washer & dryer" but doesn't list it's as coin op. I have a 5 month old daughter- would never have rented if I would have known it was coin op.
Second: the carpet is DISGUSTING.. I mean gross. I could not lay my daughter down at all unless I made sure it was covered.
We paid a cleaning fee yet the place was DIRTY. I have pics to show the build up of dust & nastiness.

Third: sheets on pull out- either stained or never washed from previous customers. Extra sheets had holes in them!

Fourth: had a DVD player BUT no remote for it.

Location was beautiful, saw whales & turtles everyday but the unit 118 - will never stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Lovethesunak
polyshores, Owner at Polynesian Shores Condominium Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

We are so sorry to hear of your concerns with condo 118 at Polynesian Shores. The Polynesian Shores Rental Program does not handle unit #118 but we do manage 27 condos on property and have very high standards for the condition the condos are in for the guest when they arrive and while they are our guest here on Maui. It is important to check when booking that you have someone on property or close by to handle any problems that may occur during your visit. We hope that in the future we can help you with one of our condos that we manage at the Polynesian Shores Resort. Maui is a special place to be and we hope that you may be back to enjoy all paradise offers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
1 mi away
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Royal Kahana
Royal Kahana
#6 of 43 in Lahaina

Been to Polynesian Shores Condominium Resort? Share your experiences!