“Excellent Food/Friendly Staff”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lahainaluna
Description: Serving Breakfast, lunch and dinner and late night PuPu's~ And while your there, enjoy a heavenly cup of Island- Blend French Press Coffee, one of their Signature Drinks or an icy cold Long Board Draft, on the gorgeous lanai overlooking the harbor....
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We ate here our first evening. We did not have reservations, but, as other reviewers noted, the restaurant seemed to have plenty of available space. The seating area is large, and it doesn't feel as if you are crowded. Dress was casual. A companion ordered a fish and shrimp entree that he declared delicious. Two of us ordered the flat iron steak served with a ginger, soy sauce. The steak was tender, cooked as ordered, and very tasty. It sat atop mashed potatoes. The wait staff was friendly, attentive and had a good sense of humor. It was good fare, and we enjoyed the experience. While this may not have been the best restaurant we frequented in Lahaina, it was a really good experience, and we would return.

1  Thank Diane B

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I are always looking for new places to try on the west side so when we saw the mixed, but generally good, reviews on Sugar Cane Maui we thought we'd give it a try. We made a 5:30 reservation on Open Table but when we arrived could see it wasn't necessary; only a half dozen tables were occupied.

When we told them we had a reservation they quickly ushered us out onto the porch and gave us a table in the corner of the porch. There is definitely a great view. It was a very sunny day, with few clouds in the sky so the sun was very hot. They could use a screen like many of the other restaurants have for times the sun is beating down on their customers.

Our server Tony was very pleasant and did his best to make us feel at home, but there are some things that just aren't right yet. We ordered drinks and it took a while for them to arrive. When they finally did Tony told us he had gone ahead and made them himself, apparently because the bartender hadn't gotten to them. He did a good job though as they were both very good.

They have a tapas menu and a regular menu. I had read in the reviews that the lobster fondue and brussel sprouts were both good choices from the tapas menus. Tony agreed and said they were both excellent and unique choices, due to the fontina cheese in the fondue and the way the brussel sprouts are prepared. I asked if there was another tapas we should definitely try and he suggested the bacon croquettes. My wife also order the monchong and I ordered the mahi mahi. he said it had a somewhat spicy broth which sounded good to me.

The three tapas we ordered came out as appetizers all at the same time. Each of them was very good and I would definitely order any of them again. The lobster fondue had lots of seafood in with the cheese and was served with a nice foccacia bread. The brussel sprouts were wonderful, unlike anything I've ever had before.

The bacon croquettes are excellent too, wasabi mashed potatoes covered in panko crust with a piece of bacon on top and served on a bed of bacon jam jus. The bacon jam jus was wonderful! Tony said he had the chef make him up a jar of it which he used as a spread on toast at breakfast.

The monchong was very good also, with edamame and a lilikoi guerre blanc. It was two nice size pieces of monchong. The mahi mahi unfortunately was a disappointment. The spiced curry broth was very bland and although the fish was good, it was a small portion for the price, about half the size of the monchong portion.

there was another problem with the service. At the time he brought our entrees Tony asked if I wanted another mai tai. After hesitating I said yes and he left. When we were part way through our entrees he came back to see how everything was and saw I didn't have another drink. he asked if I still wanted one and I said sure. It never did show up.

Overall the food was good, the prices were reasonable and the service was friendly and well intended if a bit unpolished. We'll go back and hope they work the kinks out of things, because the tapas especially were great and there were others I'd like to try. The place has potential, but I'm sure some people are reluctant to try it because the location has had many other restaurants try and fail in that location. Here's hoping this one makes it.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were disappointed after hearing many positive comments about this second floor eatery that shares a lobby with an art gallery.

We were seated for dinner with four lunch menus. When we asked for a dinner menu, we were given two dinner menus and two more lunch menus.

The solo artist had her amp up much too high and really wanted us to hear her original ballads rather than the conversation at our table.

The restaurant was too warm for comfort and too sticky to rest your arms on tables or chairs.

Our waiter, who was all alone it seemed, tried his best to get our order taken over the live performance. In spite of our order being taken within 10 minutes of our arrival, we saw no food for another 20 minutes.

The fare was not of a quality that suited the price, nor will it get another visit from us.

4  Thank westmauian
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Was surprised to find this restaurant. The location has had many restaurants roll through and I hope this one makes it. It's easy to miss. It's not right on the water. It's on the other side of Front Street. The entrance is a stairway upstairs, so there is not a big presence from the outside walking past. There is an outside balcony that has an unfettered view of the harbor with no telephone wires or buildings in the way. Limited seating in the outside section. Plenty of seating inside.

You'll notice the menu is quite varied and unusual. We concentrated on their Tapas Menu! Fun food. Waiter was outstanding and I noticed a trainee waitress ghosting him to learn the trade. Food came out hot and fast. pleasant on the balcony. This was just a first visit, and it begs a second visit for dinner next year. This place has promise. Try it!

1  Thank alienpilot
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I always like trying different restaurants for my birthday celebration, so after finding Sugar Cane online and reading about french master Chef Phillippe and the offerings, I was intrigued. It was an AWESOME experience! From Roger's greeting at the door to the excellent service and suggestions by our waiter Tony to the Phenomenal food.... I was blown away! The balcony provides a perfect place to sip your favorite beverage and people watch. But don't miss the amazing tapas. It was definitely worth our trip from the other side of the island and I will be returning (there are more menu items I want to try!)

1  Thank Bejabo