“Very well runned B&B and wonderful location!”
Review of Ho'oilo House

Ho'oilo House
Ranked #3 of 11 Lahaina B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sands Point, NY
“Very well runned B&B and wonderful location!”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Thanks Amy & Dan!

They are wonderful hosts to say the least!

The rooms are very charming and very private but yet when you are in the public areas the environment really fosters a friendly atmosphere where everyone says hello and have very pleasant conversations.

Breakfast was a very nice treat. Freshest fruit and healthy items make up the breakfast. I don't think that I ate this healthy and enjoyed it as much as I did.

The B&B is located in a centralized location, close to central Lahaina (5 mintues) and a pretty short drive to the centers of tourism.

Safe to say the next time I am in the area I will forgo the big hotels and stay at this nice B&B!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any of the rooms but make sure you check the bed sizes which they specify in...
2 Thank boboli111

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon and we were so glad we did! It was so peaceful and relaxing. Our favorite part of the day was waking up to the peace and quiet and being able to eat the amazing breakfast out by the pool, staring out to the ocean. And after a full day of activities it was so nice to come "home" to our room!

Amy and Dan were amazing hosts and were always happy to answer all of our questions about where to eat and what to do, and were always available to get us anything we could need (directions, beach supplies, coolers, etc. etc!

We will definitely come back and recommend the Ho'oilo House to everyone we know going to Maui!

Room Tip: We stayed in Akala Manu and loved it. I'm sure all the rooms are great!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ho'oilo House the last week in March and stayed in the Wailele room (garden view, back of the house= privacy). This is a truly unique, peaceful accommodation. The views are spectacular and the sights and sounds literally soothe you. The whole house is very airy and bright and I loved how the winds just blow through the house and in your room (if you keep your doors open). The sound of the wind through the palm trees lulled us to sleep. In the morning, you're awakened to the sound of birds singing. I loved the outdoor shower! I loved having the sun shine on me, listening to the birds and seeing the palm trees, sky, and mountains while showering- so awesome! The breakfast was great, too. My husband really loved the local granola and I couldn't get enough of the POG juice (papaya, orange, guava). The muffins were also a highlight. Amy & Dan were very accommodating- they provided us a "to-go" breakfast the mornings we left before 8am (when breakfast began) and lent us coolers, beach chairs, and umbrellas. Dan was very helpful with giving us information about things to check out, recommendations (however sometimes we had to find one of them, but that wasn't really that big of an issue). We didn't really get a chance to talk to Amy very much but she was mostly busy setting up the delicious breakfast. At times we felt we had the place to ourselves since there were only a total of 6 couples staying there at one time, which only added to peacefulness.
My only two very minor complaints were that the sconces in the water closet area were really dusty, which surprised me since the rest of the room was super clean. The other was that they lounge chair on our patio was broken so we couldn't use it. Otherwise, everything was fabulous. The complimentary water bottles were so convenient and a nice souvenir, too. I would definitely recommend Ho'oilo House to anyone traveling to Maui and hope one day that we can return. Thank you Amy & Dan for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Wailele Room- view of the garden/mountain. Faced the "front of the house" but more removed...
1 Thank anstarr
Elburn, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Ho'oilo House about 2 weeks ago. We had a great stay. We were greeted upon arrival by Dan. He showed us around a bit and showed us our room. There is coffee/tea in the common area all day. We really enjoyed this option. There is nice pool and beautiful grounds/view. This resort is not on the breach but has amazing views. We really enjoyed walking around and sitting outside when we were eating our breakfast. I really felt like this location was the most relaxing and quiet option that we stayed at and we stayed at 4 different locations (total of little over 2 wks in Hawaii). We loved that the breakfast had healthy options and fresh options like fresh fruit and home baked muffins/bread. Loved the muffins Amy! Blueberry Granola one morning, Strawberry Macadamia Nut one morning and Strawberry Almond the last morning. We typically are not very fond of continental breakfast but with all of the fresh items it did not seem like continental breakfast at all. We also really enjoyed the outdoor shower. This was actually probably what sold this location for me and made me book my stay and after using it.... I loved it even more. Nothing better than looking up at blue sky's and palm trees and flowers. Pure bliss. Plus we had a resident lizard in our shower area which was very cute. He actually liked the be in the mouth where the water comes out. I would just make sure not to get surprised by him (room Honu) . No accommodation is perfect so these were a couple take away's we had but really minor issues....we had a large cockroach in our room the 1st night - but this was our own fault b/c we didn't not have the bathroom/shower door all the way shut... push it all the way closed or you will get visitors. I believe all 1st floor rooms here and in other resorts tend to have some bugs... this is tropical area. We also noticed a dripping sound coming from the air conditioner. It took us quite awhile to determine what the sound was and really only noticed it a night. I think it's just condensation. We also felt the room was a little tight. We did have quite a bit of luggage since we were going to be gone so long but just felt little too tight. We noticed this more when we went to other locations and the rooms were larger. Not really that big of a deal b/c in Hawaii you are not in your room that much anyhow so really just as a FYI. I agree with prior reviews that a hot tub would have been really nice. My husband also said a Hammock would have been nice. Overall we loved our stay at this location and would definitely go back and recommend to friends. They have hats/bag/noodles, etc that you can barrow. They also have really nice Hawaiian music playing that you can also get in your room. I also really like that they support being "green", recycling, and give $ to charity. We also liked the binoculars they had b/c you could see whales from the common area while eating breakfast. Really hard to choose between Very Good and Excellent overall rating..... it's very close.

1 Thank kariensean
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The views are amazing! The room extremely comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the breakfasts as there is always plenty of delicious food for a vegetarian (or not)! Dan and Amy were very helpful with dining suggestions and where to find vegetarian lunches or dinners. The inn is one of the best B&B's we have stayed in.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Ho’olio House in early March 2012. Our stay was serene and pleasant from beginning to end. Each night we had a restful sleep and woke each morning ready to start our day. The outdoor shower was amazing. The breakfast served was yummy and filling. We usually took our home baked muffins for a snack later on in the day. Another nice addition was the daily fresh baked bread. Dan and Amy are gracious hosts and were there to answer any of our needs. The property is inviting and beautiful. We sat in the community area at night and had tea/coffee and snacks before retiring. Ho-olio House was a great central location from which we visited different parts of the island each day. I highly recommend Ho-olio House as a place to stay. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stated in the Kipuka room. It was fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 March 2012

If you want to be away from the crowds in magnificent accommodations, this is the place for you. Ideal for couples wanting to get away to relax or pack your day with great day trips. Highlights are the outdoor showers in your private bath while listening to the birds or watching the stars and fabulous breakfasts. Thanks Dan and Amy for your hospitality and tips on seeing the fantastic sites that Maui has to offer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Ho'oilo House? Share your experiences!