“Far from the Crowds”

Ho'oilo House
Ranked #2 of 11 Lahaina B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a family vacation. The family chose to stay on the beach at Lahaina. Although the setting is perfect for familes, I am so glad to have enjoyed the tranquility and beauty of this Balinese inspired pavillon with its exquisite architecture and sumptuous furnishings. The beautifully maintained gardens offered breathtaking views to the island of Molokai. The morning breakfast was more than satisfying. The gentle sounds of Hawaiian music in the rooms lulled one back to a more distant time of this royal kingdom. Dan and Amy were charming, helpful, and very accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sacromonte

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were expecting a lovely B&B, but we were not prepared for the exceptional experience and setting of the Ho'oilo House. Our entrance to the main room was at once impressive. A great room with welcoming and comfortable furnishings, soothing water features, wonderful wood and stone accessories, and astonishing views of the Pacific Ocean, invited us to appreciate the beauty and peace around us. We had chosen a room with an ocean view, and the furnishings and accessories were stunning. The door to our room came from Bali, carved and beautifully ornamented. Our shower was open to the sky, and on tiptoes, I could see the ocean. The lanai was situated so that we could enjoy the ocean view and breezes, the beautiful landscaping of the grounds, and the peace and quiet of the surroundings. Breakfasts were delicious, including homemade granolas and breads or muffins, fresh fruits, and yogurts, and delicious coffee and juices. Our mornings and breakfasts were enjoyed sitting beside the beautiful pool and looking out at the ocean view. The proprietors were gracious and welcoming. Although expensive, this stay was one of the highlights of our Hawaii trip and our time at Ho'oilo House will remain a sweet and exceptional memory. (N.B. We were there in July of 2012.)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary C
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I finally made it back after being away from this perfect getaway for 4 years. Dan & Amy remembered us, which was unexpected, yet very much appreciated. They are such pleasant people to deal with as well as just have a casual conversation with. They make us feel like family whilst we are enjoying the entire B&B for what it is: a quiet, peaceful, tranquil, adults only, romantic, non-typical tourist luxurious getaway. You will find it is WELL WORTH it. We just got home today after fantastic 5 night stay for our anniversary. Do yourself a favor, and go book your stay now!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

You may not believe this, but the other morning as I was coming down the stairs, I truly belived that I could smell the wonderful aroma of baking bread. What a disappointment to suddenly come to the realization that I was back home in Texas and NOT in Maui. Amy and Dan, you spoiled me and my family. What a wonderful relaxing and pampered week for all of us! Thanks for sharing your hospitality and bread to "die for".

Affectionately,
Dolores and Adrian Guinn, (also the Bennetts and Thorntons.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dolores G
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We just got back from our stay at Ho'oilo House in Maui last week. This B&B is a gem; our entire stay was blissful. Everything was wonderful - serene green property grounds, our unique Bali style suite, the living/common areas. We stayed in the Kipuka Suite and loved everything about it. Here is a list of things we enjoyed about our suite:
* The generous suite size
* Comfortable king size bed with high quality linens
* Spa like outdoor shower
* Natural paraben/sulphate free bath products
* Bath robes and Turkish cotton towels
* Beautiful private lanai facing the gardens
* Regular housekeeping (believe me all B&Bs do not offer daily housekeeping which can get a little annoying)

The B&B hosts - Dan and Amy were amazing and a great asset for local information. They were extremely friendly and yet provided privacy to the guests. All recommendations we got from them (from restaurants to things to do were great). They provided us beach umbrella, sun hats and chairs (which honestly are a must if you were going to use public beaches)

The breakfast every morning was great, one thing to note as stated by other reviewers is that it is almost the same breakfast everyday (besides the baked vegan muffins, scones - which were yummy). I didn’t have any problem with that but my husband got a bit bored of eating the same every day. Their website states exactly what the breakfast will be, just something to know I guess(http://www.hooilohouse.com/your-visit/breakfast.htm). My favorite was all day access to variety of loose leaf tea. Every morning, we enjoyed waking up early, sitting in our lanai listening to the chirping birds... We enjoyed eating our breakfast by the pool every morning with ocean views and chit chatting with fellow guests.

As mentioned by other reviewers, there are geckos/insects outdoors and in the lanai - again they are part of Hawaiian outdoors, we were not bothered by them atall. One thing to improve on - I think the Lanai could use extra cleaning (sweeping the floors more regularly and cleaning the chairs cushions etc), again I think it is probably impossible to keep it spot less given the outdoor winds and leaves from the garden... The pool was very clean.

All in all, I think this place is great value for your $$ (at least for Maui) and a really good option to stay at if you are looking for peace and are OK with driving 5-10 minutes to the closest beach. For something of equivalent luxury at a resort(if possible to find) you would be paying upwards of 600-800$+ per night(if not a lot more).

This was our Babymoon trip and we truly enjoyed every moment of it. On last day of our stay, Amy and Dan left chocolate covered strawberries and cider in our room with a cute bedtime story book for our baby. It was very thoughtful of them to do so. Again, our entire experience yet again validates our love for B&Bs and this one being exceptional in quality and hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay and the room was beautiful. Dan was always helpful and willing to answer questions. The grounds was amazing. It was so much better than staying in a resort. The only things that keep me from giving it an excellent rating are the following. They did have a lot of bugs in the room and although the outdoor shower was amazing it was difficult to use. The breakfast got boring after 5 days of having the same thing and afternoon tea never had milk. The movies didn't work in our room nor was their a microwave to use. I also thought they could have had better equipment to use because most of it was old and unusable. I think it is the small details that are missing. However I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is the first B&B we have ever stayed in and honestly I am not sure any other B&B will be able to match this place! It was quiet, clean and the breakfasts are great! We stayed in the Honu room July 7-11 2013. I only briefly saw Amy but Dan was great. He let us borrow umbrellas, beach mattes and a boogie board for the beach. The reusable water bottles were great for when we just got in the car and drove around the island. We felt like this was more a home then a hotel stay.
Please note that this is an open air house and yes bugs and lil geikos do make themselves present. But this did not bother us at all!
If want a nice relaxing place to stay with wonderful breakfasts this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emf72110
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Maui Guest House
#3 of 11 in Lahaina
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Ho'oilo House? Share your experiences!