Message from TripAdvisor:

“Average Resort with Above Average Grounds and Location”
Review of The Kuleana Resort

The Kuleana Resort
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I guess I will have to do this by listing the resorts good and bad points. Please keep in mind that I got my unit through a timeshare exchange. The units that are not time share are much nicer and are VRBO. Those units I would rent in a second especially if they were in buildings 4, 6 or 7. You can also rent units on Kuleana.com The problem with the timeshare swap is that you cannot pick your unit and the timeshare "manager" is not at all accommodating. Lets put it this way I don't think he would swap you even if he could. I find the management at the timeshare to be not customer service orientated at all. They need some training with customer skills.

The Good :
- The location is unbeatable. Especially if you are in buildings 4,6 or 7. These are true ocean front rooms and they are on a really cute piece of the beach which is beautiful a night. We stayed in building 3 and it still was very beautiful with ocean view and stunning Maui sunsets.
-The grounds are well kept and the pool is nice
-Reasonable rates
-Rooms are clean and our room was well supplied
-Laundry facilities on site
-Free parking
-Close to all amenities
- Not a high rise which I like. Very homey and less commercialized.
- Beds are comfy
-No air conditioning but I am not bothered by this as you are so close to the ocean here and there is a beautiful breeze.
- Quiet here which I like. Great for families and couples. Not a party place.

The Bad:
-Timeshare management at the resort itself is lacking and not customer orientated.
-New towels only once per week
- Timeshare units are average but private rentals above average and well kept.
- No air conditioning (but has not bothered me)
- Pretty strict rules which are good in some ways but need to be explained better
- Check out is 10 am and they will not budge at the time share office. They have no room to put your stuff or clean up if you are leaving late at night.
- The units are not huge.

Overall would I stay here again. I would have to say I like it here but would be more inclined to rent privately and save my points for elsewhere. The location of this resort is just too prime and I have stayed elsewhere on Maui. The units are a good rate to rent and for what you will pay I don't think you could get more bang for your buck anywhere else. If you do go as a timeshare owner be prepared to be put were you are put. You may get lucky or you may not.

Room Tip: Ocean Font is best!!! Pay to stay in an ocean front unit.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Forknknife
There are newer reviews for The Kuleana Resort

Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband and I stayed in unit #417 mid January 2013. We enjoyed it very much. This unit had a side window letting in more light which middle units do not have. The 1 bedroom was well stocked, clean and comfortable. The bedroom could use better pillows. The unit was away from the road so quiet and being on the 4th floor private. Great view from the lanai. We saw whales and turtles regularly. The resort was convenient to stores. The farmers market store was close and a large grocery store just a couple miles. The fish market in a strip mall just past the Farmers Market is a great place to pick up dinner to cook in the unit. They will prepare the fish for cooking, you just take back to room and bake. Comfortable area for morning walks down sidewalk-many walkers.

Room Tip: Higher floor and end units have best views and privacy. Units away from road more quiet. Some end u...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sls58
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My wife & I just finished 6 nights at the Kuleana, and had a wonderful experience. The staff is wonderful. Justine in particular was very helpful - she located my phone charger cord I left behind & kept for me to pick up 2 days later. About the resort: This is an affordable condominium complex with a large, clean, centrally located swimming pool. No exercise facilities on-site, but they do have a concierge to help you make reservations for local activities. Also they have one tennis court, and 4 community gas bbq's down by the shore. We used the bbq's and they work fine - gas and cleaning brushes are provided so you only need to bring your food. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. They have a small beach which is mostly available at low tide - most of the shoreline is rocky at this resort. Good swimming and snorkling beaches are a short drive, although we did see a sea turtle just 20-30 feet out from the resort's small beach. The 1-bedroom unit we stayed in, #207, was very nice and must have been upgraded within the past few years. It has a sizeable bathroom with two sinks and walk-in shower (no tub), and was supplied with a nice basic assortment of soap/shampoo/conditioner. The bedroom was good sized, with a large TV and comfortable queen bed, a large double closet with a dresser for clothes, and a wall unit A/C. There is no washer/dryer in the unit, but pay laundry machines are available on site. All linens/towels (including beach towels) are provided and of excellent quality and quantity. The kitchen is well stocked and modern - only a blender was missing, and it sounded like that was an oversight that would be corrected. There is a spacious lanai (balcony) that has a table with 4 chairs, a perfect place to eat all meals. The view from the lanai is excellent, a clear view of the ocean about 100 feet away over the swimming pool and past some of the resort's other condo units, and a direct view toward beautiful sunsets. From our lanai we could easily and often see whales spouting in the distance - so if you go at this time of year make sure you take binoculars! As the unit is on the second floor, the lanai is very private. The living room area has a sofa/hide-a-bed, recliner, comfortable stuffed chair & ottoman, a nice entertainment system with flatscreen TV, stereo, DVD player. The wifi is OK - signal is sometimes weak depending on where you are in the unit and the wifi for this unit is not password protected. Much appreciated extras in the unit are two good beach chairs, a beach umbrella, and a small cooler.
There are only 2 challenges to this unit. First of all, you may have read on some of the other reviews of the Kuleana that there can be a lot of road noise at some of the units. There is a busy road bordering the resort, and unit #207 is very close to the road. The bedroom is in the back of the unit and closest to the road (I would estimate 25 feet away). There is considerable road noise in the bedroom - light sleepers may have issues with this. We used earplugs and that more or less resolved the issue. Also, the hide-a-bed part of the sleeper sofa is in disrepair and the mattress is not comfortable, at least for an adult. Children might be able to sleep on it but I would not advise it for a couple of adults.
All in all, this was a very nice resort and unit, especially for the money. Our stay was great - except for the rainy, windy weather!

Room Tip: If you're worried about not sleeping due to road noise, pick a unit closer to the water and away...
4  Thank Neilzig
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I just got back from staying 10 nights in Unit 308 at Kuleana. This was our second time to the development and we were completely pleased once again! The location is perfect as it's close to so many great beaches and conveniences. However, the resort is quiet and relaxing. It's fun to go to Kaanapali Beach for the day and then come back to the Kuleana where it's quiet and less touristy! The unit we stayed in was great, it had recently been remodeled. We like staying the 300 building as it backs the parking lot. For us, this was convenient as we were in and out of our car a lot. There is some street noise at night but nothing that bothered us. Our unit was a ground floor unit (same as we stayed in last year). We like this because it's nice to just be able to walk off your lanai to go down to the water. It's also more convenient when you are bringing stuff in and out of the condo.

There are tons of turtles right off the beach in front of the condo. There is a ladder to make entry to the water easy for snorkeling and swimming. The beach is rocky but it is a great place to sit and soak up the sun. The grounds are immaculate and there is always a maintenance person around tending to something at the resort. Our condo was booked through Harris Hawaii and they were really great to deal with. This resort is really affordable considering the location and is very well maintained! I highly recommend it - we are already planning to head back next winter for our third trip in a row!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper you might want to pick an ocean front room so you are not backing the par...
3  Thank scoutandb
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My wife and I were looking for a relaxing and rejuvenating time away, in my opinion if this is what you are looking for as well, you will not find any place better. This is not a five star resort however the resort, the pool and the grounds are all kept up very well. The kitchen has everything you need for the basic cooking needs, although a couple of wine glasses would be appreciated. The bed was more comfortable than any I have slept on anywhere while on vacation, the bedroom is a little tight but I think it is worth it to have the comfortable king bed . And the one thing that sets this condo apart from even the five star resorts is the view, when you are inside you can sit on the couch and look out over the small beach through the side window and when you are on the lanai it is almost as private as being in the condo and the views are incredible. At this time of year the whales were visible everywhere and several times they would breach completely out of the water fairly close to the condo it was amazing!!!

Room Tip: Kuleana 616 is on a point with a large side window, no matter where you are in the living areas you...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdhaar
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in early February. It was a wonderful condomium and I would recommend it to anyone.

The best part is the view. Many condos advertise "beachfront" or "great view" but this place truly delivers. There was NOTHING between our balcony and the ocean, other than a few feet of lawn, a few black lava rocks, then sand and waves. I could throw a stone from our balcony and hit the water (and I can't throw very far). Every day (actually every hour) we could see multiple humpback whales swimming past. Sea turtles are everywhere although we couldn't see them very well from our balcony. The best place to see them seems to be standing at the top of the sea ladder. They would come within one foot of the base of the ladder and poke their head up, as if to say "hello!".

The condo itself was clean and recently updated. Appliances were very new and fancy. The bed was comfortable and we slept great. There is a room air conditioner in the bedroom but we never needed it. All rooms have ceiling fans to keep them cool. The bedroom is at the back of the unit (away from the ocean and very near the pool). I thought noise from the pool would be a problem but it was not because the pool closed at 9:00 (or maybe 10:00) and closing time was strictly enforced. The condo complex in general was very quiet. We never heard noise from other surrounding condos. The noise from the waves crashing on the shore was tremendously loud but for me, that was a plus.

The snorkeling in front of the condo was generally poor. We tried to snorkel close to shore, where the turtles were hanging out. The visibility close to shore was very poor due to sand turbulence. You cannot see more than one foot ahead of you. My husband almost bumped into some sea turtles because he could not see them until he was on top of them. When you are near shore, the waves constantly buffet you and threaten to push you into the rocks. Since this area is not in a protected bay, we were leary of swimming far from shore. Other beaches (our favorite was Napili Bay) have better visibility and snorkeling opportunities. The beach itself is very small. There is a small strip of sand, big enough for 4-6 people to set chairs, if they don't mind getting their feet wet by bigger waves and being close to strangers.

We were also disappointed that it is impossible to walk on the beach for any distance. We discovered that most of Hawaii's shoreline is made up of large rocks that jut far into the ocean. And you are unable to walk on the lawns or property abutting the ocean because most of the resorts have fencing that goes up to the water. Here in Michigan, we are accustomed to sandy shorelines that continues for miles and miles with no interruptions. There are sidewalks on the road that runs behind the resorts (away from the water) that most people used for long walks. But there is not much within walking distance anyways. There are no beachfront restaurants or bars less than a mile away.

As far as amenities, we enjoyed the use of the cooler and beach chairs. We were grateful for the provided beach towels. The kitchen was well supplied and clean. The balcony had a table, four chairs and two foot stools. The freezer had an ice maker and we made use of the Brita water pitcher. Plenty of pillows were provided and I appreciated the fleece throw for cooler times on the balcony.

3  Thank upnorthjodie
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Watching whales, sea turtles, sun sets and full moon over the ocean right from the balcony! Having coffee every morning with such a beautiful view made it very difficult to leave. But I will be back, hopefully during whales season again. It's amazing. Thank you for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple