I guess I will have to do this by listing the resorts good and bad points. Please keep in mind that I got my unit through a timeshare exchange. The units that are not time share are much nicer and are VRBO. Those units I would rent in a second especially if they were in buildings 4, 6 or 7. You can also rent units on Kuleana.com The problem with the timeshare swap is that you cannot pick your unit and the timeshare "manager" is not at all accommodating. Lets put it this way I don't think he would swap you even if he could. I find the management at the timeshare to be not customer service orientated at all. They need some training with customer skills.
The Good :
- The location is unbeatable. Especially if you are in buildings 4,6 or 7. These are true ocean front rooms and they are on a really cute piece of the beach which is beautiful a night. We stayed in building 3 and it still was very beautiful with ocean view and stunning Maui sunsets.
-The grounds are well kept and the pool is nice
-Rooms are clean and our room was well supplied
-Laundry facilities on site
-Close to all amenities
- Not a high rise which I like. Very homey and less commercialized.
- Beds are comfy
-No air conditioning but I am not bothered by this as you are so close to the ocean here and there is a beautiful breeze.
- Quiet here which I like. Great for families and couples. Not a party place.
-Timeshare management at the resort itself is lacking and not customer orientated.
-New towels only once per week
- Timeshare units are average but private rentals above average and well kept.
- No air conditioning (but has not bothered me)
- Pretty strict rules which are good in some ways but need to be explained better
- Check out is 10 am and they will not budge at the time share office. They have no room to put your stuff or clean up if you are leaving late at night.
- The units are not huge.
Overall would I stay here again. I would have to say I like it here but would be more inclined to rent privately and save my points for elsewhere. The location of this resort is just too prime and I have stayed elsewhere on Maui. The units are a good rate to rent and for what you will pay I don't think you could get more bang for your buck anywhere else. If you do go as a timeshare owner be prepared to be put were you are put. You may get lucky or you may not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kuleana Resort boasts a truly remarkable oceanfront location, on West Maui's pristine coastline, with a gorgeous panoramic view of the Pacific ocean and the nearby islands of Molokai and Lanai. We offer you a rare piece of vintage Hawaii with the convenience and comfort of today. For over 25 years, we have strived to make sure that our guests have the most unique Hawaiian vacation. The atmosphere of our resort is friendly, family-oriented, homey and fun. This rare gem sparkles with the beauty of the tropics that only years of aloha can provide ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Kuleana Hotel Lahaina
- The Kuleana Resort Maui/Lahaina