Message from TripAdvisor:

“Unit 603 is Amazing!”
Review of The Kuleana Resort

The Kuleana Resort
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I stayed in Unit #603 just last week, and I felt that I should post this review as soon as possible. Let me start with the bad, then the good.

Negatives: Bathroom was small...that's it. That is the only thing we could find to complain about. This was such a minor inconvenience that it's hardly worth noting, but I felt I should be as honest as possible in this review. A prior reviewer complained about no soap in the bathroom. That was either a mistake by the cleaning service or a remedied problem, because we did have hand soap in the bathroom.

Positives: Look at the photos of the view from the lanai and note that there are absolutely no camera tricks. Those photos aren't taken at a certain angle or in a certain light to make it look more beautiful. It is actually more beautiful in person than any picture could show. I could spend this entire review talking about the view. I have done my fair share of traveling (Kauai, Caribbean, Europe) and can say this is by far the best view I have ever had in a hotel/condo.

The beach is also great. Depending on the surf/tide, my wife and I were able to simply float on the inner tube, noodles, or boogie boards provided by Anthony or use the boogie boards for actual boogie boarding when the waves were higher. The snorkeling off the ladder and at the second beach is also great. There are sea turtles daily. These turtles were so much larger than I ever imagined. In front of the condo was the only place on the island we saw them while snorkeling, and it was an unforgettable experience.

The complex itself is very nice with well-kept grounds. You will quickly learn in Maui, and elsewhere in Hawaii, that the condos and hotels are not like those in Florida or the Caribbean. The buildings are almost all older and not as attractive from the outside as the newer buildings elsewhere. There are a few newer buildings, but why pay for a pretty building with a lesser view?

Anthony was INCREDIBLY cooperative. We were able to check in early (10:00 a.m.) and check out late (6:00 p.m). This won't always be possible of course, but it was, and Anthony had no issue with it.

What else can I say? The neighbors were quiet and friendly, which is a huge plus. Also, we were told on arrival that we wouldn't need the A/C, and thought this was crazy. It may take a day or two, but once you adapt to the heat and learn to appreciate the breeze that comes through with the doors and windows open, the A/C is an unnecessary convenience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Andrew F

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed in an ocean view 1-bedroom unit that Donna Bender of MauiCalls booked for us.We were staying during peak season and booked late, which meant options on Maui were limited and expensive. I found Donna through TripAdvisor and she helped us find this lovely unit. Perfect location just beyond Kanapaali, quiet, nice view of the water, small private beach, nice clean unit with plenty of space and a nice lanai. I would stay again for sure

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Nmbrsix
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I guess I will have to do this by listing the resorts good and bad points. Please keep in mind that I got my unit through a timeshare exchange. The units that are not time share are much nicer and are VRBO. Those units I would rent in a second especially if they were in buildings 4, 6 or 7. You can also rent units on Kuleana.com The problem with the timeshare swap is that you cannot pick your unit and the timeshare "manager" is not at all accommodating. Lets put it this way I don't think he would swap you even if he could. I find the management at the timeshare to be not customer service orientated at all. They need some training with customer skills.

The Good :
- The location is unbeatable. Especially if you are in buildings 4,6 or 7. These are true ocean front rooms and they are on a really cute piece of the beach which is beautiful a night. We stayed in building 3 and it still was very beautiful with ocean view and stunning Maui sunsets.
-The grounds are well kept and the pool is nice
-Reasonable rates
-Rooms are clean and our room was well supplied
-Laundry facilities on site
-Free parking
-Close to all amenities
- Not a high rise which I like. Very homey and less commercialized.
- Beds are comfy
-No air conditioning but I am not bothered by this as you are so close to the ocean here and there is a beautiful breeze.
- Quiet here which I like. Great for families and couples. Not a party place.

The Bad:
-Timeshare management at the resort itself is lacking and not customer orientated.
-New towels only once per week
- Timeshare units are average but private rentals above average and well kept.
- No air conditioning (but has not bothered me)
- Pretty strict rules which are good in some ways but need to be explained better
- Check out is 10 am and they will not budge at the time share office. They have no room to put your stuff or clean up if you are leaving late at night.
- The units are not huge.

Overall would I stay here again. I would have to say I like it here but would be more inclined to rent privately and save my points for elsewhere. The location of this resort is just too prime and I have stayed elsewhere on Maui. The units are a good rate to rent and for what you will pay I don't think you could get more bang for your buck anywhere else. If you do go as a timeshare owner be prepared to be put were you are put. You may get lucky or you may not.

Room Tip: Ocean Font is best!!! Pay to stay in an ocean front unit.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Forknknife
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband and I stayed in unit #417 mid January 2013. We enjoyed it very much. This unit had a side window letting in more light which middle units do not have. The 1 bedroom was well stocked, clean and comfortable. The bedroom could use better pillows. The unit was away from the road so quiet and being on the 4th floor private. Great view from the lanai. We saw whales and turtles regularly. The resort was convenient to stores. The farmers market store was close and a large grocery store just a couple miles. The fish market in a strip mall just past the Farmers Market is a great place to pick up dinner to cook in the unit. They will prepare the fish for cooking, you just take back to room and bake. Comfortable area for morning walks down sidewalk-many walkers.

Room Tip: Higher floor and end units have best views and privacy. Units away from road more quiet. Some end u...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sls58
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My wife & I just finished 6 nights at the Kuleana, and had a wonderful experience. The staff is wonderful. Justine in particular was very helpful - she located my phone charger cord I left behind & kept for me to pick up 2 days later. About the resort: This is an affordable condominium complex with a large, clean, centrally located swimming pool. No exercise facilities on-site, but they do have a concierge to help you make reservations for local activities. Also they have one tennis court, and 4 community gas bbq's down by the shore. We used the bbq's and they work fine - gas and cleaning brushes are provided so you only need to bring your food. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. They have a small beach which is mostly available at low tide - most of the shoreline is rocky at this resort. Good swimming and snorkling beaches are a short drive, although we did see a sea turtle just 20-30 feet out from the resort's small beach. The 1-bedroom unit we stayed in, #207, was very nice and must have been upgraded within the past few years. It has a sizeable bathroom with two sinks and walk-in shower (no tub), and was supplied with a nice basic assortment of soap/shampoo/conditioner. The bedroom was good sized, with a large TV and comfortable queen bed, a large double closet with a dresser for clothes, and a wall unit A/C. There is no washer/dryer in the unit, but pay laundry machines are available on site. All linens/towels (including beach towels) are provided and of excellent quality and quantity. The kitchen is well stocked and modern - only a blender was missing, and it sounded like that was an oversight that would be corrected. There is a spacious lanai (balcony) that has a table with 4 chairs, a perfect place to eat all meals. The view from the lanai is excellent, a clear view of the ocean about 100 feet away over the swimming pool and past some of the resort's other condo units, and a direct view toward beautiful sunsets. From our lanai we could easily and often see whales spouting in the distance - so if you go at this time of year make sure you take binoculars! As the unit is on the second floor, the lanai is very private. The living room area has a sofa/hide-a-bed, recliner, comfortable stuffed chair & ottoman, a nice entertainment system with flatscreen TV, stereo, DVD player. The wifi is OK - signal is sometimes weak depending on where you are in the unit and the wifi for this unit is not password protected. Much appreciated extras in the unit are two good beach chairs, a beach umbrella, and a small cooler.
There are only 2 challenges to this unit. First of all, you may have read on some of the other reviews of the Kuleana that there can be a lot of road noise at some of the units. There is a busy road bordering the resort, and unit #207 is very close to the road. The bedroom is in the back of the unit and closest to the road (I would estimate 25 feet away). There is considerable road noise in the bedroom - light sleepers may have issues with this. We used earplugs and that more or less resolved the issue. Also, the hide-a-bed part of the sleeper sofa is in disrepair and the mattress is not comfortable, at least for an adult. Children might be able to sleep on it but I would not advise it for a couple of adults.
All in all, this was a very nice resort and unit, especially for the money. Our stay was great - except for the rainy, windy weather!

Room Tip: If you're worried about not sleeping due to road noise, pick a unit closer to the water and away...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Neilzig
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I just got back from staying 10 nights in Unit 308 at Kuleana. This was our second time to the development and we were completely pleased once again! The location is perfect as it's close to so many great beaches and conveniences. However, the resort is quiet and relaxing. It's fun to go to Kaanapali Beach for the day and then come back to the Kuleana where it's quiet and less touristy! The unit we stayed in was great, it had recently been remodeled. We like staying the 300 building as it backs the parking lot. For us, this was convenient as we were in and out of our car a lot. There is some street noise at night but nothing that bothered us. Our unit was a ground floor unit (same as we stayed in last year). We like this because it's nice to just be able to walk off your lanai to go down to the water. It's also more convenient when you are bringing stuff in and out of the condo.

There are tons of turtles right off the beach in front of the condo. There is a ladder to make entry to the water easy for snorkeling and swimming. The beach is rocky but it is a great place to sit and soak up the sun. The grounds are immaculate and there is always a maintenance person around tending to something at the resort. Our condo was booked through Harris Hawaii and they were really great to deal with. This resort is really affordable considering the location and is very well maintained! I highly recommend it - we are already planning to head back next winter for our third trip in a row!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper you might want to pick an ocean front room so you are not backing the par...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scoutandb
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My wife and I were looking for a relaxing and rejuvenating time away, in my opinion if this is what you are looking for as well, you will not find any place better. This is not a five star resort however the resort, the pool and the grounds are all kept up very well. The kitchen has everything you need for the basic cooking needs, although a couple of wine glasses would be appreciated. The bed was more comfortable than any I have slept on anywhere while on vacation, the bedroom is a little tight but I think it is worth it to have the comfortable king bed . And the one thing that sets this condo apart from even the five star resorts is the view, when you are inside you can sit on the couch and look out over the small beach through the side window and when you are on the lanai it is almost as private as being in the condo and the views are incredible. At this time of year the whales were visible everywhere and several times they would breach completely out of the water fairly close to the condo it was amazing!!!

Room Tip: Kuleana 616 is on a point with a large side window, no matter where you are in the living areas you...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple