“Thanks Royal Lahaina, Thanks Groupon!”

Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Cornelius, Oregon
“Thanks Royal Lahaina, Thanks Groupon!”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We jumped at the opportunity to book a trip to Maui on the cheap. Thanks to an offer that dropped into our inbox from Groupon advertising a 5-night stay for $725 + 13.417% tax (paid directly to Royal Lahaina resort).

All in all it was about $155/night to stay right on Kaanapali Beach! Once you take into account all that was included: daily all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet (complete spread) at the Royal Lahaina (a short walk away), parking, the oceanfront room we had, the service personnel from the Royal Lahaina, and the free shuttle/trolley to Whaler's Village - the price of the package deal was very fair. This location's biggest pros are: Value, Service by Royal Lahaina resort personnel, and ease of access to Maui's world-renowned Kaanapali Beach.

Now, I took the time to read ALL the reviews on here.
And to summarize the cons - & how we saw it & a few of our own:

1. Older property from the 60's -- we think it added to the charm of the place though

2. Old air conditioning system that barely cools down 1/4 of the room

(ex. standing/oscillating fan included with the room) -- we didn't mind as much -- having the system refurbished on the cheap would be great, but we think its unlikely they'll make the investment

3. No ice-machine on the property for guests to access (ex. everyday I had to call to have ice delivered to the room) -- this would be a worthwhile investment, maybe install one on the ground floor near one of the staircases?

4. No microwaves in the room -- we shopped at the local Times Supermarket nearby, and wanted to save on lunch & dinner. No microwave meals then. :( -- this affordable investment should be considered.

5. No elevator on the property -- we didn't mind as much, the property only has 3 floors

6. Older tube television set -- LCDs would been nice -- this affordable investment should be considered.

7. Shower only, no tub, sliding door restroom (little privacy) -- yes, yes, and yes -- but we didn't mind, how much privacy does one need with hotel guests, really?

8. Bugs - we did find one small cockroach and hundreds of tiny tiny ants going after our sugary drinks...but we didn't mind...that's to be expected of such an older property surrounded by trees/bushes and "close to dirt".

9. No beach access rinser - it would've been nice to at least have a foot-rinser..to rinse off sand off our feet and sandals. We felt bad trekking sand all over the stair and hallway carpeting each time we accessed the beach in front of the property. -- Would be a worthwhile investment to plumb one of these.

10. Old-Skool Metal Room Key - We didn't mind this too much...once again...adds to the charm of the place being so old -- we thought of it like "Vintage" Hawaii - having a card access would be nice -- but unlikely the Royal Lahaina will make this investment.

After all this...we'll still come back for the value.

Keep the same price $150/night (w/ daily breakfast & parking), add microwaves, an ice-maker, LCDs, and a rinser & you got us sold for several vacations with you all in the years to come.

Regards,
Jose & Sabrina Orozco
Portland, Oregon

P.S> We loved the "Welcome Home" from the person staffed at the entry each night that we returned to the resort. Very nice touch. Thoughtful... Maybe not entirely genuine. But we loved it just the same, each time they said it.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms on the second and third floors recommended. A Luau goes on every weeknight adjacent...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank jlointc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Modesto, California
Reviewed 19 September 2012

After flying or being in an Airport for 12 hours, I needed a shower. I checked in on a Friday late afternoon, I didn't check for towels before my shower. After taking my shower all I could find were two hand towels, which I used. After drying, I called housekeeping, and in an hour I was given two bath towels. Ok, I figured a mistake, I now had a towel for a morning shower. After the room was cleaned in the morning, I looked for bath towels, none. I found and asked a housekeeper, for my towels and she didn't have any. She said they wouldn't be in until the afternoon. So if I wanted to take another shower, I was out of luck. Maui is a very humid place, I had to go without a shower before going out to dinner. When I got there was one bath towel, which was good for the next morning and my last day there. I was there for a wedding, so I took a shower at a friends condo.

Room Tip: stay at the Royal Lahaina, which is own by the same corp, and on the same property.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dc5699

Travellers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Danville, California
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This "hotel" should be torn down. The 2 story building is literally falling apart, full of mold, bugs and filth. I walked in and walked out when I saw the bugs on the bathroom counters, the walls in the bathroom pealing off exposing black mold. I would rather sleep on the street than stay in this dump. I ended up getting our room changed to a cottage and that was decent. Honestly I don't understand why they still rent rooms in this "hotel" and/or who is actually sleeping in these rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Janette60802
@thelake
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This is definately not your dream vacation hideaway, but if you are desperate to get to Maui/Kaanapali and stay on the beach, then this may just fit the bill. A friend and I were looking for a cheap getaway and this was the only affordable option for us. The room was very small and smelled musty. Not a lot of room to pass by one another around the beds. The bathroom shower was pretty dirty with mold/mildew as well. The bathroom door is a pocket door, so there is not a lot of privacy. This hotel is the area's ugly step-sister.
With that being said, there were lots of good things, too. The location was great, within easy walking distance to black rock snorkeling and the shopping area of Kaanapali Beach. Walk right out onto a great sandy beach area in front of the hotel. Each room had a balcony and ours had a side view of the ocean. You have access to the pretty sister's pool and restaurants. We had a rental car, but you really could get away with walking and taking the shuttles everywhere, as long as you didn't want to leave the Kaanapali/Lahaina area.
When you are desperate for a travel vacation to Hawaii and want to be on a great sandy beach with lolly-rolling waves, you do what you have to, even if it means staying here. I'd stay here again, but if I had more than one other person with me, we'd need 2 rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Luau and you may get a partial ocean view. There aren't any elevat...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
14 Thank honufore
Folsom, CA
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our one year anniversary in August 2010. This is definitely not the most luxurious resort in all of Hawaii - but it was great for us. The rooms were not that spectacular but it was in a great location. We went to the luau on the property which was very entertaining and the bartenders were very generous! The grounds are well maintained and the nearby beach was great. We snorkeled right off the beach near this hotel and saw huge sea turtles that swam up right next to us! It is a great location to visit other parts of the island as well.

If you are looking for a perfect hotel - you will be disappointed. But if you keep in mind that you are in Hawaii and you will not be spending that much time in your room - you will be very happy!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stephanie A
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is not the ideal place to stay, but it's what one tries to accept if you are on a very tight budget & need to stay in Lahaina.

The PROS:
-Great location centrally located between Kapalua Beach just a few minutes drive away with free parking, free sheltered cove beach access & snorkel rentals for AMAZING reef snorkeling & tree shaded lounging, Kapalua Adventures (awesome Ziplining) & downtown Lahaina to tour & shop along Front Street & enjoy the highly recommended Old Lahaina Luau - all of which we enjoyed very much. These events/attractions & a very tight hotel budget were the reasons we endured staying here 3 days.

-Full use of the adjacent Royal Lahaina Resort (free beach towels, direct beach access, pools, restaurant, Luau (extra $$), snorkel rentals, etc. You can even watch the Luau for a while from the beach side stairway from the 2nd or 3rd floor. It's not the Old Lahaina Luau, but if you don't have something planned, it's entertaining to watch for a bit.

-Very reasonable price (considering the alternatives), especially for the location.

-A surprisingly good & reasonably priced buffet breakfast (get it included up-front in the room price for discount) & a good restaurant & bar all nearly next door at the Royal Lahaina. Be sure to get some delicious & refreshing ice cold pineapple water just to your right as you enter the Royal Lahaina.

-Located far enough away from the highway that we had no problem with road noise (a big issue for us).

-Convenience store/gift shop right next to The Royal Lahaina for bottled water & cold sandwiches in a pinch.

-Comfortable firm beds with thinner (not poofy) pillows, exactly as we prefer, but a negative for those who like pillow soft mattresses & poofy pillows.

-In room safe. For $3.75/day use it says, but we weren't charged, which was nice (perhaps it's an old notice). It's a decent size, and gave us peace of mind.

With all these positives, then why not a higher rated review? Well...:

The CONS:
-Age: Very dated over 50+ year old hotel with minimal maintenance (note that the entire first floor appeared to be undergoing renovation so perhaps future stays will be far better) and all that comes as a result:

-Air Conditioning Problems: Our first room on the 2nd floor had a broken air conditioner. The bellboy tried to convince us it was working as he said he could hear it humming and was familiar with it. I climbed up to the wall vent to verify no air was blowing & pointed out that the hum was the refrigerator. Nice try. In our 2nd room the A/C worked but on that top 3rd floor it could not keep up with the hot roof (we could even see direct sunlight through a knot in the ceiling wood boards!) & thus we needed the floor fan constantly circulating so we wouldn't overheat, and to sleep. That's ridiculous. Thank goodness we didn't mind the hum of the loud fan.

-No Microwave: Makes it harder to save money buying inexpensive food at local grocery stores with no ability to heat/reheat it.

-No Elevator. At the time we only could choose the 2nd or 3rd floor. Not fun lugging your stuff up when hot & sweaty & tired. And what if one has mobility concerns - seems until the lower floor is done one would have to pay more for one of the cottages nearby.

-Low Flow Shower Head: Anemic low water pressure through the shower head which was barely enough with which to shower, either by design or from scale build up. Either way, a miserable shower.

-Irregular Hot Water: Inconsistent hot water forced us to constantly chase the changing temp to avoid overheating one moment, then chilling the next in the shower. Terribly frustrating & caused 2x shower durations on top of the low flow problem.

-Bright Room: No blackout curtains. The slider to the balcony is slatted to let indirect light in. Real downer when one needs a darker room in which to sleep in after a long night - one of the things one wants to enjoy on a vacation at times is sleeping in.

-Falling Apart: The toilet handle broke on our 3rd use. That's a real downer when you want to go out & the toilet is full of stuff you'd rather flush. They did fix it promptly but this was just another example of the place literally falling apart.

-Parking: $10/day parking nickel and diming and the parking is hard to find in the evenings as you share the same parking lot as all the Luau visitors from around 5-8:30pm. There is parking if you don't mind walking far away but not fun in the day in that blazing sun the next morning.

-Dirty: Dirty worn carpet, worn semi smelly shower stall that isn't angled so any sand from the beach sticks between the mini floor tiles and doesn't go away, plus a somewhat sticky linoleum floor around the toilet and a bit in the wash basin area - yuck. :(

-Bugs: Ok we didn't see cockroaches or get bitten by bedbugs, but little crawlers the wife didn't enjoy finding in bed & on the counters bothered us (I believe they were termites).

-Somewhat Unfriendly Staff: In all cases with 4 different ladies at the front desk, they all seemed either to be somewhat annoyed with us or bothered that we had to trouble them for normal business. As the wife agreed they seemed unfriendly, I know it wasn't just me or my perspective. Mind you, one gentleman at the front desk was very courteous, and he was the one who had to endure my complaints on our arrival with the first room with bad A/C after previously having to melt dragging our luggage from the parking lot thanks to poor directions from the toll booth lady when we first arrived. We did find that the mainly Filipino maids were very nice & helpful. Other than the one guy and the help, most of the staff generally just seemed to see everyone as another person in line to deal with - a number, an obligation. That's just not good service.

We read the reviews here previous to booking one night to try it, and we were very prepared to try to accept it as the price was right (especially with the breakfast). If you don't want to risk only booking your first night here for fear of being bumped out if you want to stay, ask if leaving early would incur a charge - perhaps you only need to stay the 1st night. Would we stay here again? With our tight budget, probably, especially if the first floor (or other floors) are remodeled, but we'd try to stay away from the 3rd floor with the heat issue there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Antonio_and_Villa
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Seriously you would be better off to sleep in your rent car by the beach than waste time effort energy or resources to subject yourself to such filth possible exposue to black mold and disease that is founding this rundown neglected relic managed by Royal Lahaina. The management of the Royal Lahaina should refuse to manage the refuse called Kannapali Ocean Resort. It ski tarnish their reputation. No kidding stay in your car and if this is the only place in Maui to stay stay at home that will be better than to subject your body to somethings that can not be washed off or bad memories that can never be erased. I type this as I sit on the balcony of the place afraid to go in because of the condition and extreme heat in the unmaintained relic the Royal Lahaina chooses to call the Kannapali Ocean Resort. What a joke what a shame. The shame is yours should you choose to stay here

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank connie p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
Maui Seaside Hotel
Maui Seaside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,041 reviews

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!