Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Maui Eldorado(Lahaina)
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsnightly luauocean frontgreat room for the priceresort amenitiesan older buildingice machinebeautiful beachoceanfront roombed was comfortabletop floorcastaway cafehear the wavessave some moneyhotel restaurantfirst floorawesome locationbeach access
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The location of our room was just steps from the beach. We had somewhat of an ocean view from our balcony. Love the size of the room but the bed was as hard as if I was sleeping on the floor. The staff is very friendly and attentive especially Rosario and Dominic. I was disappointed though when I found the emergency water container in case of a hurricane empty!! Thank goodness there wasn't a storm when we were there. This place has potential if they were just take the time to clean it up. Attention to detail would go a long way.

Room Tip: Try to get the third floor if you want a chance at an ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sidewallcindy
Reviewed 14 February 2013

This is my 3rd visit to Maui but it's the first time I've stayed at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn. The first 2 visits I was with family and we stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. I found out after booking this hotel that we (my boyfriend and me) would have all the amenities of the Royal Lahaina Resort for about half the cost of staying in one of their rooms. The Ocean Inn is kind of their old version of the hotel. The thing that you have to think about when you're going on vacation that really determines your hotel needs is "How much time are you ACTUALLY going to spend in the hotel." Honestly, your answer should be "Not much." So if you want to spend $300/night to have the most modern contemporary room with a flat screen TV and free wifi then this hotel isn't for you (and you should probably review your definition of the word "vacation") The things we were looking for in a hotel were: great location, low price, convenience, pool access, beach access, no roaches, a bed, a shower, and a toilet; this hotel satisfied all of those basic requirements plus a little more. I will admit we've had some minor issues but because the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful they aren't worth mentioning. If you have a problem just talk NICELY to the people who are there to HELP you because you'll never be happy if you approach a problem with a bad attitude. Yes the rooms are a little outdated and could use some remodeling but you know what? They are pretty darn clean even if they look kinda dingy. I haven't seen a single roach since we've been here (compared to the 3 I saw in my Royal Lahaina Cottage) Also the showers are very small but big enough for one adult that is a healthy weight. So if you're the typical inactive American you should stay somewhere else unless you're planning on not bathing, which I don't recommend. Don't get me wrong, we were born and raised in the USA but seriously we're heading towards Wall-e/Idiocracy. About the luau; it does get old after a few days but we've found that it's kind of nice sitting on the balcony reading and having those sounds surround us while the sun sets. The only reason to let it be an issue is if you have small children, elderly, or yourself that need to be asleep before 9pm. If this is the case you should stay somewhere else or stop living by a schedule while you're on VACATION. I'm writing this review because I read all of the others and frankly I find the majority of them to be extremely shallow. We have been using our room to sleep, shower, and store our stuff and that's really all you need when you're planning on being out and about. If we visit Maui again I'd love to stay here. Give it a chance, save some money, and quit being snobs. Aloha!

• Stayed: February 2013
9  Thank MissMel0n
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This place is terrible! You have to pay for parking ($15) a day, to use the safe ($3.75) a day, there is no ice machine on site - you have to go to the 3rd floor at an adjoining hotel, it is so outdated and dirty - you would not believe it. There is mold in the bathroom - painted over & the paint is peeling, a wire with a cap on it hung down in the bathroom next to the wall, the bedspreads & skirts were like from the 50's. Pay a little bit more & get something nice - you'll be glad you did. Gary Holden needs glasses! He's the president of the facility.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Katnumber1
Reviewed 29 January 2013

OK. We had a garden cottage room reserved next door at the Royal Lahaina and while checking in we were asked if we wanted an ocean front room and we said sure. So, they sent us to their property right next door. First of all, the review would have been two stars, but the amazing view boosted it. There was no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor... tough with 2 kids and lots of luggage. The room itself was rather shabby. Old TV. Old furnature. Small beds. Not very comfortable.

But, it was ocean front and an amazing view! That made the room better. We were able to sit there and watch whale and dolphins right outside our room. Otherwise I would have gone back to the front desk and asked for my garden cottage room.

It is an easy walk to Whaler's Village and the Sheraton at Black Rock. The beach was great and not crowded.

Room Tip: If you stay here, stay ocean front and the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris101264
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel/ resort having read the very negative comments on trip adviser. Sure, it is an old structure, but the room was light and airy, the bed comfortable, and it was spotlessly clean- what more do you want? The reception/ bell staff were really helpful. Food at the Royal Ocean Terrace was good and reasonably priced (don't be tempted by the Castaway Cafe next door where the service is lousy/ nonexistent).

Room Tip: Book early to get an ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo