“Don't Even Think About It!”

Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Let's talk. There is a big difference between inexpensive and cheap. I took a chance on this because I thought 'how bad could it be' and "we won't be spending much time in it anyway." Unless you are a college kid and are used to a musty, dank, dark dorm room that comes with that expensive education your parents paid for, stay clear of this place. Somewhere I got the idea that there was a part of this property that had been renovated so I booked us into one of 'those' rooms. Nothing has been upgraded anywhere in that building! Three floors, no elevators. Dismal, dreary, disgusting, disappointing, a 100% downer and I am only expressing the words from the letter D. My story ends happy though because we 'bit the bullet', went immediately to the front desk of the Royal Lahaina Resort (that owns the property and is right next door) and upgraded. That is when we found the perfect 'cottage room' overlooking the coast and it was picture perfect. And so …we lived Happily Ever After…wrapped in the arms of what you went to Hawaii for in the first place…to be kissed by sweet-smelling air, nurtured by warm tropical winds, swaying Palm trees, beautiful flowers, and an exquisite, expansive ocean right at your fingertips … with a room to match.

Room Tip: Three strikes and you are out applies to this particular property. Terrible value, Terrible maintena...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank CaliforniaCurious1

Reviewed 6 April 2014

When you think of kaanapali perfect views and well kept properties come to mind,but don't expect the Ocean Inn to live up to this expectation. The rooms aren't kept clean, the woodwork is a mess, the walls are dirty and the furnishings are ancient. The facet in the bathroom had green mold under the handle that you couldn't get clean with a cloth. It needed soaking or better yet replacement. Considering the cheap furnishings, it wouldn't have cost more than $50 to replace. I'm just not convinced they spend any money whatsoever maintaining this part of the property. My suggestion is to find another place to stay, rent a tent for the night, or sleep on the beach if you're desperate for a place. You would encounter fewer bugs that way. The only good thing about the property is the location. There is a beautiful board walk, plenty of options to eat and of corse the beautiful beach is only a few steps away.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 4theloveoftravel808
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We booked an ocean view room for 3/30/14 after having ignored previous negative reviews since we only needed one night before flying out the next day. The shower was dingy and stained and it was so small that the shower curtain kept blowing on while trying to shower, the reflective silver on the mirror in the bath was seriously flaked off, the bed was so so; however, the ceilings were dingy and coming down....carpet nasty looking. We should have immediately asked for another room but giving the overall appearance of the run-down dark hallway and entrance, it didn't seem like there would be much use. We just endured the stay until we left the next morning early. We are not usually too picky as we stay in camping areas, tents, alternative housing, etc, but this place is in serious need of updating.....or maybe just tearing down and starting over. It certainly was not a nice ending to our beautiful three week stay in Maui where we stayed in all types of accommodations that were much cheaper and very nice, clean and comfortable. This place should be condemned in our opinion and they should be ashamed to even offer these rooms for occupancy.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....there are cheaper and nicer alternatives available.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank katzz10
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Where do I start? I saw some of the reviews and I was super nervous about staying here. We booked way back in November 2013, but our stay was from Feb. 26, 2014 to March 4, 2014. We reserved an ocean front room with the hotel and car package, and gave a $500 deposit. When we arrived and picked up the car we selected the smallest model available (Nissan Versa Note) Not very glamorous but when you need to park close to the beach or in Lahaina on a busy day that car would fit anywhere. Don't let the car rental agency sell you on the insurance, and other fees. Our estimated charges were listed at roughly $350 because they added other fees. We felt that the car was included so we shouldn't be paying anything but Dollar tries to get you with the insurance and prepaid gas. be aware. You should only have to pay taxes and other fees that can't be bundled into the hotel package. Should be less than $20. So we got that squared away and headed to Kaanapali Ocean Inn
As soon as we arrived everyone who we greeted on the property was smiles. The person at the front desk who checked us is was Stephanie. I don't know if the island spirits were with us but she upgraded us to a 3rd floor corner room facing the ocean. This put me at ease a little. A porter named Ike or Isaac helped us to our room and carried our bags to the 3rd floor. He was very nice. The room was great! It was clean. Had a perfect view of the beach and the sound of the waves crashing below was AMAZING! I will say that the bathroom needs some cosmetics, but the shower was totally functional and there was never an issue with plumbing. The room was outdated, but we're in Maui, who really stays in their room very much. It was quiet, the view from the balcony was relaxing, and the access to the beach was awesome. I was so happy that we had the breakfast buffet included in our package. I only wish that they had waffles, but everything else on the buffet was great. One less meal to have to spend money on. Our stay at the Kaanapali Ocean in was great! It looks like they are working on the bottom units, but that had no effect on our stay at all. I would definitely come back if I knew that I would be getting a room viewing the ocean on the 3rd floor. I don't know what the other rooms were like. I found the hotel staff to be friendly and accommodating. You all made being in Maui one of my best experiences ever. Oh and since we were taking a red-eye flight back to San Diego we got a chance to snorkel by Black Rock where we saw giant sea turtles and then check out, then snorkel at some other locations then comeback and use a courtesy room at the Royal Lahaina (amazing rooms) to shower and clean up before heading to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mocat7
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Love the ocean and beach? On a budget? Then Kaanapali Beach area is where you want to be. Most of resorts along this strip are "luxurious" and expensive. Kaanapali Ocean Inn is a budget hotel among all the high end hotels. The hotel is right on the beach. Some of the best snorkeling on the island is 10 minutes away by foot at Black Rock. 10 minutes in the other direction you have snorkeling at Airport Beach. The beach right outside this hotel is great for swimming and sunbathing too!

Rent snorkel gear at Snorkel Bobs or Boss Frogs. Rentals at the beach are very expensive.

You share amenities with The Royal Lahaina, so there is access to restaurants, bars, pools etc.

Parking is $10 a night and I'm not sure why people say it gets full and they have to park "far". I have walked further in a mall parking lot. We checked in around midnight and were escorted to a parking spot and then our bags were loaded onto a golf cart and a busboy carried them to our room.

The building is 3 or 4 stories and there is no elevator. This is not a problem unless you have extreme mobility issues. We stayed on the second floor so had to walk a few steps.

The ice machine is in the building next door (gasp... you'll have to walk for 2 minutes).

Our room overlooked the luau which runs a few times a week. We were usually not in our room for the show. One night I just out on the balcony and watched the show with my beer in hand.

Beach towels included
TV/phone in room
Check in is at the Royal Lahaina counter (same hotel - this is the budget building).

I highly recommend staying here.

If you want to stay at a high end hotel with a spa, and a 5 star experience - this is not the place for you. Stay at the Royal Lahaina.

Pros: beach, easy snorkeling access, access to free Kaanapali Trolly, restaurants/convenience store and bars on site, clean, safe

Cons: The washroom has a stand up shower- there is no bathtub.
The shower is small.

we stayed in Dec 2013 - wish I posted the review earlier

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CalgaryGirl007
Reviewed 2 March 2014

If you have no other option, this is well located, right on the beach and with amenities of the Royal Lahaina Resort, however the rooms are extremely outdated. Our room smelled and the bathroom was not clean. We (like most that try to stay here) upgraded to the Royal Lahaina and had a pleasant stay--clean rooms with gorgeous views.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Comfort, location, and cleanliness A+
Rooms are out dated and worn but I didn't mind... The price was right for the perfect location... Beds are comfortable and showers are hot... What more do you need!
It's right next door to the Royal Lahaina Luau which is nice if you plan to attend.. We had a great time!

Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
Aston at Papakea Resort
Aston at Papakea Resort
#26 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!