“Clean but in need of rehab” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaanapali Ocean Inn

Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Clean but in need of rehab”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We have a time share on Maui and stay there whenever go to Maui. On this last trip, because of flight issues, we had to come in one day early and couldn't get into our time share until the next day. We stayed here one night. We chose the location primarily because of the cost. I didn't want to drop $200 plus for just one night sleep and a shower. For our purposes, it was fine. The property is old and it shows. It needs updating. But if you have ever read one of my reviews, you know that the most important thing to me is cleanliness. Well, even though it is old and badly needs updating, I will say that it was clean. Yes, new carpet and wall coverings and whatnot would make it much nicer, but it was clean. My only real complaint was that the room smelled musty. It appears that the entire first floor is closed off as all the room windows are covered with paper. I am assuming there has been water damage there and mold/mildew. I didn't see any mold or evidence of water damage on the 2nd floor where we stayed, but it did smell musty and they are using air fresheners to try and cover the odor so you have that mixture that is an issue. However after a bit, we adjusted and didn't smell it anymore. Also, the bed was surprisingly quite comfy. We enjoyed the bed and slept well.

As far as beach goes...it was a great beach. The hotel is right on Ka'anapali Beach, one of the best beaches in Maui. It was beautiful. Further, if you have a room on the south side of the hotel, you will be overlooking the Royal Lahaina Lu'au and you can see the whole show from your lanai.

For $118.00 for one night...it fit our needs just great. If ever in the same situation, I would stay there again. If I looking for somewhere to stay for a week, and money wasn't a big issue, I would look elsewhere, but if on a tight budget, it is a pretty cheap place on a great beach. Really, what do you need a room on Maui for? We sleep and shower in our room. Otherwise, we are on the beach or in the water. So, I can never see spending $200+ a night for a room to sleep and shower.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank glhenry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Let's talk. There is a big difference between inexpensive and cheap. I took a chance on this because I thought 'how bad could it be' and "we won't be spending much time in it anyway." Unless you are a college kid and are used to a musty, dank, dark dorm room that comes with that expensive education your parents paid for, stay clear of this place. Somewhere I got the idea that there was a part of this property that had been renovated so I booked us into one of 'those' rooms. Nothing has been upgraded anywhere in that building! Three floors, no elevators. Dismal, dreary, disgusting, disappointing, a 100% downer and I am only expressing the words from the letter D. My story ends happy though because we 'bit the bullet', went immediately to the front desk of the Royal Lahaina Resort (that owns the property and is right next door) and upgraded. That is when we found the perfect 'cottage room' overlooking the coast and it was picture perfect. And so …we lived Happily Ever After…wrapped in the arms of what you went to Hawaii for in the first place…to be kissed by sweet-smelling air, nurtured by warm tropical winds, swaying Palm trees, beautiful flowers, and an exquisite, expansive ocean right at your fingertips … with a room to match.

Room Tip: Three strikes and you are out applies to this particular property. Terrible value, Terrible maintena...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank CaliforniaCurious1

Travellers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Naples, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

When you think of kaanapali perfect views and well kept properties come to mind,but don't expect the Ocean Inn to live up to this expectation. The rooms aren't kept clean, the woodwork is a mess, the walls are dirty and the furnishings are ancient. The facet in the bathroom had green mold under the handle that you couldn't get clean with a cloth. It needed soaking or better yet replacement. Considering the cheap furnishings, it wouldn't have cost more than $50 to replace. I'm just not convinced they spend any money whatsoever maintaining this part of the property. My suggestion is to find another place to stay, rent a tent for the night, or sleep on the beach if you're desperate for a place. You would encounter fewer bugs that way. The only good thing about the property is the location. There is a beautiful board walk, plenty of options to eat and of corse the beautiful beach is only a few steps away.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 4theloveoftravel808
Petal, MS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We booked an ocean view room for 3/30/14 after having ignored previous negative reviews since we only needed one night before flying out the next day. The shower was dingy and stained and it was so small that the shower curtain kept blowing on while trying to shower, the reflective silver on the mirror in the bath was seriously flaked off, the bed was so so; however, the ceilings were dingy and coming down....carpet nasty looking. We should have immediately asked for another room but giving the overall appearance of the run-down dark hallway and entrance, it didn't seem like there would be much use. We just endured the stay until we left the next morning early. We are not usually too picky as we stay in camping areas, tents, alternative housing, etc, but this place is in serious need of updating.....or maybe just tearing down and starting over. It certainly was not a nice ending to our beautiful three week stay in Maui where we stayed in all types of accommodations that were much cheaper and very nice, clean and comfortable. This place should be condemned in our opinion and they should be ashamed to even offer these rooms for occupancy.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....there are cheaper and nicer alternatives available.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katzz10
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Where do I start? I saw some of the reviews and I was super nervous about staying here. We booked way back in November 2013, but our stay was from Feb. 26, 2014 to March 4, 2014. We reserved an ocean front room with the hotel and car package, and gave a $500 deposit. When we arrived and picked up the car we selected the smallest model available (Nissan Versa Note) Not very glamorous but when you need to park close to the beach or in Lahaina on a busy day that car would fit anywhere. Don't let the car rental agency sell you on the insurance, and other fees. Our estimated charges were listed at roughly $350 because they added other fees. We felt that the car was included so we shouldn't be paying anything but Dollar tries to get you with the insurance and prepaid gas. be aware. You should only have to pay taxes and other fees that can't be bundled into the hotel package. Should be less than $20. So we got that squared away and headed to Kaanapali Ocean Inn
As soon as we arrived everyone who we greeted on the property was smiles. The person at the front desk who checked us is was Stephanie. I don't know if the island spirits were with us but she upgraded us to a 3rd floor corner room facing the ocean. This put me at ease a little. A porter named Ike or Isaac helped us to our room and carried our bags to the 3rd floor. He was very nice. The room was great! It was clean. Had a perfect view of the beach and the sound of the waves crashing below was AMAZING! I will say that the bathroom needs some cosmetics, but the shower was totally functional and there was never an issue with plumbing. The room was outdated, but we're in Maui, who really stays in their room very much. It was quiet, the view from the balcony was relaxing, and the access to the beach was awesome. I was so happy that we had the breakfast buffet included in our package. I only wish that they had waffles, but everything else on the buffet was great. One less meal to have to spend money on. Our stay at the Kaanapali Ocean in was great! It looks like they are working on the bottom units, but that had no effect on our stay at all. I would definitely come back if I knew that I would be getting a room viewing the ocean on the 3rd floor. I don't know what the other rooms were like. I found the hotel staff to be friendly and accommodating. You all made being in Maui one of my best experiences ever. Oh and since we were taking a red-eye flight back to San Diego we got a chance to snorkel by Black Rock where we saw giant sea turtles and then check out, then snorkel at some other locations then comeback and use a courtesy room at the Royal Lahaina (amazing rooms) to shower and clean up before heading to the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mocat7
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Love the ocean and beach? On a budget? Then Kaanapali Beach area is where you want to be. Most of resorts along this strip are "luxurious" and expensive. Kaanapali Ocean Inn is a budget hotel among all the high end hotels. The hotel is right on the beach. Some of the best snorkeling on the island is 10 minutes away by foot at Black Rock. 10 minutes in the other direction you have snorkeling at Airport Beach. The beach right outside this hotel is great for swimming and sunbathing too!

Rent snorkel gear at Snorkel Bobs or Boss Frogs. Rentals at the beach are very expensive.

You share amenities with The Royal Lahaina, so there is access to restaurants, bars, pools etc.

Parking is $10 a night and I'm not sure why people say it gets full and they have to park "far". I have walked further in a mall parking lot. We checked in around midnight and were escorted to a parking spot and then our bags were loaded onto a golf cart and a busboy carried them to our room.

The building is 3 or 4 stories and there is no elevator. This is not a problem unless you have extreme mobility issues. We stayed on the second floor so had to walk a few steps.

The ice machine is in the building next door (gasp... you'll have to walk for 2 minutes).

Our room overlooked the luau which runs a few times a week. We were usually not in our room for the show. One night I just out on the balcony and watched the show with my beer in hand.

Beach towels included
TV/phone in room
Check in is at the Royal Lahaina counter (same hotel - this is the budget building).

I highly recommend staying here.

If you want to stay at a high end hotel with a spa, and a 5 star experience - this is not the place for you. Stay at the Royal Lahaina.

Pros: beach, easy snorkeling access, access to free Kaanapali Trolly, restaurants/convenience store and bars on site, clean, safe

Cons: The washroom has a stand up shower- there is no bathtub.
The shower is small.

we stayed in Dec 2013 - wish I posted the review earlier

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CalgaryGirl007
ALBUQUERQUE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

If you have no other option, this is well located, right on the beach and with amenities of the Royal Lahaina Resort, however the rooms are extremely outdated. Our room smelled and the bathroom was not clean. We (like most that try to stay here) upgraded to the Royal Lahaina and had a pleasant stay--clean rooms with gorgeous views.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
Maui Seaside Hotel
Maui Seaside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,015 reviews

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!