“This would be the greatest hotel if...”

Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel would be the greates if renovated and with new housekeeping staff. The room was spacious but very used. A lot of things needs to be renovated here. If renovated, the hotel would be very very nice!!! But what the hotel requires even more is to fire the present housekeeping staff - they are really bad at doing their job. Really bad. Our room had not been vacuum cleaned properly for a very long time when we got there (e.g. behind the TV) and the hallway did not look clean at all.
The staff at the front desk was, however, great! Very nice and very helpful. And they are honest with you (about what to do in Hawaii and how to do it not in the mos expensive way).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OP255

Reviewed 6 October 2010

This property is on the beach! Just a short walk and there you are. If you are into fancy, expensive, showy stuff then this is not for you. If you want a decent room, ocean at your door, room service, friendly staff, tiki bar at poolside, restaurant and a place to hang your hat after spending day filled with activities in Hawaii, then this could be for you.
A very sweet touch, upon arriving the staff person at the entrance told us he was waiting for our arrival and when we came back each night, he told us welcome home!
We did ask for upgrade as the first room was on the nightly luau side and one night is ok but not every night. So we got an ocean view room. A plus would be free luau show but since we had seen it 2 years ago it was not important to us. Beach is beautiful. Close to Lahaina, where the action is. We usually get a condo and did not realize this was a hotel room but my mistake...$725 for air, full size Lincoln and 5 nights, not bad! Did I see a roach? 1 in the outside hallway but it is the tropics.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Islandwoman44
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I gave this hotel 5 stars because of the amazing value. I got a very, very good deal on this hotel and was not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the inn is old and the rooms are a bit dated. But I did not find them at all unpleasant, and I had a balcony with an ocean view and could hear the waves in my room at night. The beach was a very quick walk and Kaanapali beach is just wonderful to spend the day on. Also, I had full access to all that the Royal Lahaina Resort had to offer, including it's 2 nice pools, shops, tiki lounge, and restaurants. I was able to watch the resort's Luau show (which I would not pay the asking price for) from the stairs of the inn. There was a small amount of mildew in the bathroom, but I did not notice any odor, and I'm very sensitive to smells. Overall, this Inn is an exceptional value with a great location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank SafireDragon
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Room with a smell and bad customer service!

Arrived late Saturday, Aug. 7th. Upon checking in they escorted us to our room in the "other building" Kaanapali Ocean Inn managed by the Royal Lahaina Resort (the tower) Pictures are VERY decieving... building needs to be torn down! If they cared about their customers and reputation, they would not rent these rooms.

When we entered the room, we were overwhelmed by the musty, mildew smell. Upon complaining to the front desk I was told, "you got what you paid for" by Management.

If I had known I was paying for a dump I wouldn't have bought it! Furnishings, linens, overall decor from the 70's. There were holes and dirt on the walls. The bathrooms were mildewed and water damaged. We were offered to view 2 other rooms in the Kaanapali building, each in the same condition... no improvements. I offered to pay for an upgraded room to the tower, but was told no, they were sold out. When we checked on line later there showed some available.

Our friends had made prior arrangements for their Luau dinner, also a BIG disappointment. Not worth the $50 we were charged, which I was told was their discounted price. Cheap buffet, mediocre presentation and commercial/corney dance.

DON"T put your money here! The tower rooms I am sure are better, but based on the customer service we recieved I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank isdocha
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My wife and I celebrated part of our 25th anniversary at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn and right from the time we arrived on the property to check in, which is at the Royal Lahaina Resort, we were treated with the best of service. Even though we were staying at the budget minded "Inn" we were treated as "Resort" guests.
Our room, although dated was more than adequate. It was clean and comfortable.
The balcony had one of the best beach and ocean front views we experienced while in Hawaii with sunsets to die for. We both remarked how fortunate we were to have chosen the Kaanapali Ocean Inn.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank redryderbkr
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Aloha!

We stayed at this resort which happens to be part of the Royal Lahaina Resorts and is also next the LUAU. We really enjoyed our stay here for 5 nights. The key things were the fact that the beach was right there no need to walk that much and there were places close by to eat. We ordered out from The Table pizza place it was really good, and also ate at the China Bowl which was good as well. We didn’t go the terrace at all but did go the Cast away cafe the food quality was very great.

Snorkeling was at the Black Rock in front of Sheraton, maybe 15min or so and your were there. Its best to go early when its not that full of people around so u have better visibility plus water current is less strong. They do have many assorted fish and its quite neat but be careful with getting pulled away from the shore wear your fins and if possible some floating device too. We had the opportunity to snorkel while a huge marine turtle was eating on the side of the Royal Lanaina Resort just by where the beach shore ends.

We took a cab to Lahaina Town and it was very nice since they have many local artist on the main street with beautiful exhibits, there are also many shops and places to have decent lunch or dinner. Try the famous shaved ice you choose your flavor. Don’t forget to eat Maui’s Golden Pineapple. Just so you are not surprised the cab trip from the resort is an average of $15 per way. As far as souvenir’s go you will need to shop around since prices are up there. We purchased some Tiki art work from a local artist for a decent price.

Overall we would recommend this resort our Maui to anyone who is looking to get away and have a relaxing adventurous vacation at a Dream location! Not good if you want luxury updated room etc... just go to the Royal Lahaina or Sheraton or some other place this location is great if you are not looking to spend a lot but do want to have a great time if your have any questions feel free to email me

Mahalo

P.S go to a local market and purchase beverages maybe jam and cheese for sandwiches you do have a mini fridge to put them in and they also have an ice machine.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Firstly, let me be honest ... my first impression of this hotel was not good. So why do I give it a "Very Good" rating? Simple, this location is excellent for people traveling on a budget who would still like to stay in one of the nicest areas on Maui.

When we arrived at the gate, we were greeting by an older gentleman who gave us check in directions, welcomed us, and made a point of saying, "Welcome, this is your Home!". (He did this every time we came back to the hotel, made us feel very welcome, he should get a raise!) Check-in was smooth and quick. I should note that the staff were very good, and we were never treated as though we were from the "poor part of town" because we were not staying in the more expensive parts of the resort.

The room itself, while not a "5-star" accommodation, was adequate. We did not have an ocean front room, but the view from our balcony was very close, an easy stone's throw to the beach. We slept every night with the screen open, listening to the sound of the ocean. (We could have upgraded to ocean view, but I didn't think it was worth it...the view we had was pretty good.) The room was clean, though it did have a bit of a "funky" smell. It wasn't overpowering, and I attributed it to the fact that the hotel is located in a fairly humid part of the world. (Cleaning the drip tray on the AC unit may be helpful...?)

As with many older hotels, sound proofing is not the best. We had a large group move in next to us for a few days, and were unable to sleep due to loud talking. That said, a call to the front desk had Security outside the offender's door in about five minutes. No problems after that.

Speaking of security, they do have patrols at all hours, so the area feels quite secure. Lots of parking available (they do charge $10 a day, so add that to the cost of the room), although the spots are not very wide...I was glad I'd rented the smaller car!

In terms of amenities, you are staying on the grounds of a very nice resort and you have access to all of them. (If you wish your room was nicer, then remember when you are sitting at the pool that the person on the chair next to you probably paid WAY more than you did for his/her room, and they are not even in the room at the moment. That might make you feel better...) As for the beach, this is one of the nicest beaches we saw on Maui, and it's right outside your door. Good reef for snorkeling (fish, turtles, coral, etc), and many whales in the channel during the time of year we visited.

Yes, this is an older property, and therefore shows more wear and tear than you may be used to seeing. Some of the plumbing fixtures in our room could use an update, and some of the furniture was a little on the older side. However, it was clean, seemed safe, and we were hardly ever there, anyway. There is way too many better things to do on Maui than sit in your hotel room!

To sum up...if you are the type of person who spends a lot of time in your room, or who needs the "best of the best" when you travel, this hotel is not for you. However, if you want to save some money while still staying in a pretty nice resort, you should give this place a try.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Sticky_Wizard
JWKOI, Manager at Kaanapali Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

Thank you for your review of the Kaanapali Ocean Inn.

As noted in the review, the Kaanapali Ocean Inn offers economical room accommodations (2 star) option set on the oceanfront grounds of the Royal Lahaina Resort. Guests of the Kaanapali Ocean Inn have full access and privileges to the Royal Lahaina resort amenities.

For those seeking upgraded room accommodations, the Royal Lahaina Resort offers two other accommodation types. Our cottage rooms offer a uniquely Hawaiian ambinace set amidst the gardens and ocean front lawns (moderate / 3-star), and our Lahaina Kai Tower rooms which were fully renovated in 2008 (35 Million Dollar renovation) and offer a very high quality deluxe accommodation (4-star).

Mahalo.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#22 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Aston Kaanapali Shores
#13 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!