I'm going to start this review by saying that the game plan for my vacation with my wife was to save money on the flight and lodging to spend on activities. I would say that staying at Garden Gate allowed us to successfully accomplish our game plan. It offers basic accommodations in a popular area of the island. The following are strengths and opportunities.
It is a simple inn located in Lahaina, which is central to many of Maui's best beaches and activities. The breakfasts were simple continental meals with breads/pastries, hard boiled eggs, juice and yogurt - enough to get you on a good start to the day. The rooms with Ocean views do indeed have nice views. The Inn has beach towels and other beach gear (i.e. chairs/umbrellas) for you to borrow free of charge. Lastly, Jeri was very helpful with her suggestions on beaches and other activities like the luaus. Also, the hosts prepared breakfasts for us to take with us on our early morning excursions, which was really nice.
This is more of an Inn vs. other true B&B's my wife and I have stayed (see Marjorie's Inn Kauai). Rooms are basic (a bit dated) but comfortable and fairly clean. This is not the type of place where you will stay to be in the room all day. This is a nice "crash pad" to enable you to go on your way and enjoy the island's many activities.
There are a few other things that took Garden Gate down from a "very good" to "average" for us. The main host leaves after a certain hour, leaving her in-laws in charge. They are not as welcoming or as helpful as the main host. The little details are often unclear/missing (i.e. where to park when you arrive, where to put towels if you want them to be changed out in your room, how far in advance to request an early morning breakfast).
You will save money on the room, parking and breakfast vs. a resort. However, if you want more of a traditional B&B or resort-like experience, I would specifically seek that out elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast offers elegant and affordable vacation rental accommodations in west Maui, Hawaii. Our accommodations are centrally located one mile from historic Old Lahaina Town and the Kaanapali Beach coastline. We are also located 30 minutes away from Kahului Airport. Our Maui B&B features the Lanai room with a private deck and panoramic ocean views of Molokai, Lanai, and Oahu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Gate Hotel Lahaina
- Garden Gate b&b
- Garden Gate Bed And Breakfast Maui/Lahaina