We didn't know what to expect and it turned out to be a real gem. First, this is a destination for the seasoned, Hawaiian traveler - for those of us who've done the lei greeting, swim up bar and had orchids strewn across our pillows. Now we just want to appreciate island living. Yes, this complex is situated among the, what I call "70's strip" along Lower Honoapiilani Rd., but don't let that fool you. It is extremely well maintained. The units are spacious. And the views are 'to die for'. We traveled with 2 teens and there was plenty of space for all four of us.
We were in unit #402, which was amazing. We opened the front door and there was a constant breeze blowing at all times. This resort has a strip of beach, probably about 15 ft. wide at low tide, but perfect for a private swim. My girls loved the fact that they could swim in the ocean away from lots of people. For several days, we had 2 or 3 turtles who regularly circled the waters out front. We watched the daily afternoon, misty rains of Molokai and thoroughly enjoyed the privacy.
We would absolutely revisit this resort! Here are my tips:
1. Fabulous location -- every morning we walked down to Bad A** Coffee and on M,W,Fri. at the farmer's market you can get fresh, bagels, fruit, etc.
2. The ABC store is just down the street as well - very convenient. Their prices aren't that different from the grocery store, also super close, so if you need just a couple things, go there instead.
3. Up the way in the Kahana Gateway Center, the Hawaiian Coffee Co., has the best smoothies - or so I've been told by my girls :)
4. Guests can check out beach gear for as long as they want so keep that in mind. Don't keep checking. If you want something, just go rent it. It may not show up all week.
5. There's a little gift shop jammed full of souvenirs right next to Bad A** Coffee. I saw some things in there that were selling at very high end boutiques in Makawao so don't feel like you're going cheap.
6. North Kaanapali beach is just south one exit. Snorkeling near the Westin is as good as any snorkeling venture minus the exhausting boat ride. Plus you can plop down on the beach in between swims!
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hono Koa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hono Koa Hotel Lahaina
- Hono Koa Maui/Lahaina