“2nd time staying here, but not as great as the first!”

Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Chandler, Arizona
“2nd time staying here, but not as great as the first!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

So me and my family (my wife and her parents) stayed here 3 years ago and we really liked this place. The garden area view from our balcony is great and we got upgraded to an ocean view so that was nice as well. We had no problems getting this upgrade, which we were thankful, but this time I booked the room MONTHS in advance through my work's employee perks thing, and one of the stipulations was that it would be a guaranteed upgrade. So upon checking in this time, the front desk was like "what upgrade"? While I will give them kudos for being very professional and nice about the whole thing, I had to jump through a lot of hoops proving this. We eventually got the upgrade, but that didn't start this trip right. We had a two bedroom unit, which is perfect for two couples. We took the master bedroom but switched because this unit had a dedicated AC unit in the wall, very noisy. I can't understand why they didn't put AC vents into that room when all the other rooms had the central air??? Anyways, another pet peeve of mine was that in the second bedrooms there is a window up at the top of the wall letting in light (this faces out in the hallway outside). The room darkening curtain, when drawn, lets in light from underneath directly to the bed below. I had to keep trying to tuck the curtain in around the window frame to try to seal out the light (I wish I had some duct tape then!) Also, the mattress was less than stellar, but tolerable. And finally on my rant list, this unit was a bit worn and dated. I won't go into a lot of other things because there are over 1700 reviews detailing everything, but one thing that changed since our last visit 3 years ago is they now make you pay for all the amenities, whether if you use them or not. So be aware of that when you go to pay your bill. The DVD kiosks was a cool thing, they had a lot of good movies and we took advantage of that almost every night.

Room Tip: If you have a two bedroom condo, be aware that the second bedroom against the hallway, so if people...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jay L
2BFair, Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Aloha,

While pleased to read that you enjoyed the resort overall, we were disappointed to read of the other small items you mentioned. We hope that you'll be returning to Maui and Aston Kaanapali Shores so that we'll have an opportunity to provide a completely positive vacation experience on that future visit.

Mahalo!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The scenery around the hotel is very nice and the beach behind the hotel was fantastic for lounging or snorkeling. The location is also pretty nice as there is several stores including a grocery store close by. My only knocks are that it seems a bit "touristy" and although the food is good, the food prices are a bit to expensive. Still a great place to stay in Lahaina in my opinion.

1 Thank TravelingKnight75
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Aloha,

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to take advantage of the nearby conveniences. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay at our resort.

Warmest Aloha!
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I suppose I was spoilt, but for five days I enjoyed the two bedroom two bathroom oceanfront suite. Wi-fi was excellent, the beds and pillows were better than what I have at home! very comfortable. I really cannot fault this resort, it is in a great proximity to a supermarket - I had the best cup of tea I have ever tasted at Java Jazz, the buses pick up and drop off at the resort and the lady who organised the tours for all twenty one of us did a top job.

Room Tip: I was on the fourth floor oceanfront - obviously great views and very quiet.
1 Thank bushbowler
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Aloha,

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property on a future visit to Maui.

Warmest Aloha!
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Traveled with extended family (10 total) to Aston Kaanapali Shores June 24-July 2. We had originally stayed here 20 years ago with the same family members (minus the kids). On the first trip, we were located at a ground floor multi-bedroom unit, while this time we were on the PH level with a direct view of the ocean.
The decor seemed little changed and badly in need of an update. The years seem to have weighed heavily on the Aston. However, the units were all clean and daily maid service kept the towels in ready supply, the beds made and the units relatively clean.
The daily resort fee and parking added an additional $240 to our stay and I am still on the fence on whether the cost was justified or not. The wifi was good and easy accessible from all rooms and the kids really loved the PS3 and the games/movies for free rental.
The cost of rental for the boogie boards was a little high ($10/day per board) and while you do have direct access to the beach, it is very rocky and really not usable for walking. If you want to use a beach, you need to walk down 1/4 mile or so to the south or do what we did, travel to black rock (5 minutes).
Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. The one issue the ladies had was with photo session and the quality of the photos. I had to agree they were not good photos. Stick with the free photos and don't pay for any extras.
In summary, it was a very enjoyable trip and I can;'t wait to go back, though I will probably choose another resort next time.

3 Thank jsgolfman
We were happy to hear you had an enjoyable time at our resort. However, we were disappointed to hear that the room décor did not meet your expectations. We hope we'll have a future opportunity to welcome you back for a third time and create a positive experience for you and your family.

Aloha!
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had an interesting and polarizing experience at the Aston Kaanapali Shores. We stayed 6 nights, which allowed me to get a holistic view of the property & amenities.

The good -
This is a very good location for both north and south Maui excursions. I adored the comfortable island decor in each suite. The pricing is also very competitive, especially if, like us, you are traveling with a group of people.

The landscaping is serene and beautiful. The $10 morning beach yoga right on-site is a nice touch. There are 2 pools and a decent poolside bar. We visited the pool at least once every day.

You can also rent boogie boards and more right at the poolside concierge, then take those 1 mile north to Fleming's Beach for quality boogie-boarding.

I also really enjoyed the little artist's market in the hotel lobby on Fridays, and the on-site professional photography session.

The not-so-good:
We unexpectedly stayed in 3 different rooms during our stay. This was due to a termite infestation in the first room, and a shuffling about to accommodate us in other rooms after that. I have to say that being on an island, there are sometimes bugs. I don't think this was an issue with the hotel staff or overall cleanliness that we encountered the bugs. However, the experience showed off a true problem with the polarizing competency of the staff. I wish it had been handled better.

I was happy with the staff the night we encountered the infestation of bugs in our bed. They were prompt and very helpful. They arrived with an inspector to determine the species of bug, and quickly helped us pack up our bags and move to a new room.

The next day's experience, however, was truly obnoxious when they kicked us out of our accommodations without a new room to house us in. The woman working the front desk clearly lacked in training and tact. She acted like it was our fault that we were being shuffled about (plus, referred to my 60 y/o mother as an elderly woman to her face!)

We dealt with 3 different staff members that morning as they tried to move us about into a new room, and each one would blame the other staff for their confusion. I would recommend to the management that they retrain the staff to be more service-oriented and consistent. We all know problems happen from time to time, but the fact that so many of the staff members were so poorly equipped to handle the issue throws up a red flag.

I was very surprised when on my way to our 3rd accommodations, we saw new people moving into the original termite-infested room. I'm unsure how they were able to rectify the infestation that quickly but out of tact, of course didn't want to worry the new tenants.

Overall, I feel the property has huge potential. It is a great value option given the suite-style layout of each room. However, I would not recommend this to friends or return myself unless I saw some serious improvement in the attitude and attentiveness of the staff. I hope this happens.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the ocean.
8 Thank Leigh R
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. We appreciate your understanding of the fact that pest control issues such as the one you experienced can’t always be detected in advance; we do have an aggressive pest control program in place at the resort that includes a nationally recognized pest control company. We apologize for how your room move was handled. We take customer service very seriously here and will be revisiting with the parties involved to ensure against a similar, future result. After further research we now understand that a computer input error was at the root of the confusion and the service agent involved has received additional training. Your experience was certainly atypical of the friendly and efficient service levels that we are known for and we hope to have the opportunity to provide a more positive overall experience on a future visit.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our Diamond Resort was full and the overflow bookings are sent to the Aston Kaanaplai Shores, which we were asked about at booking time through Diamond. The resort was very nice and in the middle of being remodeled. Our room was OK, lacked a few things in the kitchen, but since we didn't do any big cooking, it was not a problem. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. All of the staff was very courteous and polite and friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant on Mother's Day. It was very good and the service was excellent. We had drinks at the outside bar before and the gal tending the bar was very friendly and good service. We also had breakfast in the same restaurant twice, and it was very good with excellent service. I would recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Before accepting a room, ask to look at it and get the key from the front desk. They usually are ve...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon P
Aloha Sharon,

Great to hear that you folks enjoyed yourselves! We hope to see you back on a future visit to our beautiful resort and island!

Mahalo!
Torrance
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were going to Maui for our daughters wedding and someone recommended the Aston Kaanapali Shores hotel because they had stayed there before. We looked into it and others and it seemed to be the best fit for our large group. When I checked in, I had been upgraded to a different room. When I stepped into the Penthouse Ocean Front Aloha Suite, It took my breath away !!! It was a top floor, ocean front, corner unit that had the MOST BEAUTIFUL view I have ever seen !! The 2 bedroom, 2 bath, room was massive !! It had a nice breeze blowing through it the whole time. Everyone in my group was envious of my room, even though their rooms were very nice as well. The hotel had one resturant, by the pool, that was great for full meals or just snacks and drinks by the pool. We snorkeled out front on the beach. Everyone was very kind and nice to talk to. I would definitely recommend it to others and I'd stay there again !!!

Room Tip: If you can afford to spend a little more, try to reserve an OCEAN FRONT ALOHA SUITE !! The corners h...
2 Thank karenr262
Aloha Karen,

We were extremly happy to hear about your total enjoyment of the room you recevied and your overall vacation experience. Congratulations to your daughter on her wedding. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property the next time you visit Maui.

Aloha!