“Very nics property - good staff”

Aston Kaanapali Shores
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 24 July 2014

tThis was our seocond trip to Maui and this year we stayed at the Ashton Kaanapali shores, right next door to where we stayed last year - at the Kaanapali Beach Club.
The resort is nice and beautifully lanscaped. It offers a full sized kitchen, with all the appliances. We asked for a blender and it was brought to our room immediately. The bedroom was adequate sized - not as large as we are normally used at other places, but clean and comfortable.
The only complaint we had was that the bathroom was located right opposite the door into the unit. So you had to be VERY CAREFUL to make sure the door was shut when you were using the bathroom. There was no exhaust fan or window, so it could get a bit steamy and hot in there, when showering. The vanity was small but there was plenty of extra storage in the linen cabinet in the bathroom.All the necessary supplies - toiletries, hairdryer, wall mounted makeup mirror, were included. There was a small lanai off the living room - with a table for 2 and lounge chair. Made it nice for eating small meals and relaxing and enjoying the view.We didn't learn til the 3rd day that the covered parking garage was for ALL the guests - we had been advised to park in the lot out front. But as many of the days were rainy and windy, once we used the covered parking - it was very nice and there was always lost of spots to park in.
All in all - I would probably stay at this resort again - they and it met all of our needs.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view - tho it may be a very limited view....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank patriciab48
2BFair, Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Aloha and thank you for sharing. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back again in the future. All the best...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,617)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great location. Beach at the back is pretty small but there is a nicer beach down the street with plenty of parking. Well landscaped.
Swanky lobby. Free DVD rentals from 3 vending machines. Free beach towel usage. Free wi-fi.
We had a studio room in 738. There are outdoor corridors which I did not like but no big deal. The parking lot is gated and you have to get a ticket each time you come in and return it when you leave so I felt pretty secure there. They were repainting the exterior when we were there.
I misunderstood when I booked the place that we would have our own washer/dryer but apparently that is for one bedroom units and up, not studios. The kitchen was nice and clean with a dishwasher, electric stove/oven, microwave and fridge/freezer.
The fridge was on the older side. When we were checking in, we heard the front desk get a complaint call requesting to switch rooms because someone's ice cream was melting. Apparently this is a common situation as our fridge did not get cold enough. I confirmed the setting was on the maximum cold. We put bottled water in the freezer the first night. The next morning, they were still liquid. By the second day they were frozen so that is alarming that it took that long. Luckily we had no ice cream so I did not bother to complain about that. To be safe, I put our milk and eggs in the freezer for a few hours to make sure they were cold enough the first couple days.
Once in a while there was a funky musty smell in our room near the sofa area so we kept our stuff off that but I think it was just the air there as I smelled the same thing in the parking lot too. I don’t know, it might be that warm humid climate. BTW, my bf and and I did a smell check on ourselves and we were clear in case you were wondering.
We tried to watch a blu-ray of Jack Ryan on the Playstation 3 and that ish did NOT work. It would get stuck and would just turn off. We called maintenance and the lazy younger guy fiddled with it and suggested we try another disc. He was not much help and did not seem to care at all. My accommodating BF agreed to go back downstairs and try to get a different movie. We tried that and it still did not work so we called back in less than half an hour and what do you know? The maintenance guy left for the evening at 11 PM. He failed to mention his off time earlier otherwise I would have demanded a new unit up front. Front desk said they could not help us and just give us another unit until maintenance was back in the morning. Of course we were going out for the day so that was useless.
It was RIDICULOUS. The next night we called maintenence again and an older gentleman, Juan helped us this time. He tried his darndest for over an hour to assist us by trying 2 other Playstation units, going back and forth to another room on another floor to troubleshoot our issue with another TV. He finally got one to work in the other room but for some reason, it would not work in our room. He went out of his way to make it work. He even apologized for not knowing how to immediately assist us. He advised that the hotel will not provide him with a TV so he can work on things like this in the office. How can he be expected to deal with such situations promptly if he does not have access to tinker with the darn things when they are not busy? DUMB.

Anyway, he was great but the whole situation put a bad taste in my mouth. Do not advertise your Playstation 3/DVD players when you do not even know how to make them work properly. You should provide proper training to your employees, especially the lazy younger maintenance guy, not only on technical aspects but customer service in general. Don't be in a hurry to leave your guests hanging like he did to us. Again, this is no blast on the older, sweet man, Juan. He was the saving grace.
The pools were both heated and there are 2 spas available too. Nice digs overall, just mad at the technical situation with the DVD and the poor refrigerator.

Room Tip: Get one not facing the stupid parking lot and the ugly canal. Make sure your DVD and fridge are wor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank reinalove

Aloha and thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you experienced an issue with the appliance in your room. We will continue to focus on preventive maintenance in an effort to avoid similar, future occurrences. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back again in the future.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was my 3rd visit to Ka'anapali Shores and it didn't disappoint. Each time I've had a different condo.

The first time I booked Aston my PG daughter and I were upgraded from Aston Paki to one of the nicest 3rd floor rooms at Ka'anapali Shores; ocean front, 2 bedrooms with a livingroom and full kitchen including a wrap around balcony. The second visit was with my husband and we rented a private one bedroom condo on the 6th floor with a balcony and a distant view of the water. Even half way back from the beach it was gorgeous! The layout of this building is brilliant and the balconies are private and have a view no matter where your room. In fact, this 3rd trip, my niece and I rented a private studio and again, the view even from the farthest back was wonderful. Can't wait for December when we come again...I already have our condo lined up!

So this property has Aston hotel rentals and private rooms. There are various property management groups that book for the private owners. Its a great way to go, usually much less expensive.

You still get the use of the beautiful pools and the courtyard area is perfect. We don't even want to try to stay somewhere else! Across the street there's a grocery store, gelato shop, jazz bar...what else do you need? We typically don't eat out much when we stay here because we always have a kitchen...saves money too.

Its probably not the BEST place in town, but they keep it up well and its very comfortable...that's coming from me, a picky person.

Can't wait till December!

Room Tip: Ask questions, look at pictures. Know the difference between oceanfront, beachfront, and oceanview...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Becky H
2BFair, Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We're glad you enjoyed the resort and that you'll be coming back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

So me and my family (my wife and her parents) stayed here 3 years ago and we really liked this place. The garden area view from our balcony is great and we got upgraded to an ocean view so that was nice as well. We had no problems getting this upgrade, which we were thankful, but this time I booked the room MONTHS in advance through my work's employee perks thing, and one of the stipulations was that it would be a guaranteed upgrade. So upon checking in this time, the front desk was like "what upgrade"? While I will give them kudos for being very professional and nice about the whole thing, I had to jump through a lot of hoops proving this. We eventually got the upgrade, but that didn't start this trip right. We had a two bedroom unit, which is perfect for two couples. We took the master bedroom but switched because this unit had a dedicated AC unit in the wall, very noisy. I can't understand why they didn't put AC vents into that room when all the other rooms had the central air??? Anyways, another pet peeve of mine was that in the second bedrooms there is a window up at the top of the wall letting in light (this faces out in the hallway outside). The room darkening curtain, when drawn, lets in light from underneath directly to the bed below. I had to keep trying to tuck the curtain in around the window frame to try to seal out the light (I wish I had some duct tape then!) Also, the mattress was less than stellar, but tolerable. And finally on my rant list, this unit was a bit worn and dated. I won't go into a lot of other things because there are over 1700 reviews detailing everything, but one thing that changed since our last visit 3 years ago is they now make you pay for all the amenities, whether if you use them or not. So be aware of that when you go to pay your bill. The DVD kiosks was a cool thing, they had a lot of good movies and we took advantage of that almost every night.

Room Tip: If you have a two bedroom condo, be aware that the second bedroom against the hallway, so if people...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jay L

Aloha,

While pleased to read that you enjoyed the resort overall, we were disappointed to read of the other small items you mentioned. We hope that you'll be returning to Maui and Aston Kaanapali Shores so that we'll have an opportunity to provide a completely positive vacation experience on that future visit.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The scenery around the hotel is very nice and the beach behind the hotel was fantastic for lounging or snorkeling. The location is also pretty nice as there is several stores including a grocery store close by. My only knocks are that it seems a bit "touristy" and although the food is good, the food prices are a bit to expensive. Still a great place to stay in Lahaina in my opinion.

1  Thank TravelingKnight75
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Aloha,

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to take advantage of the nearby conveniences. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay at our resort.

Warmest Aloha!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I suppose I was spoilt, but for five days I enjoyed the two bedroom two bathroom oceanfront suite. Wi-fi was excellent, the beds and pillows were better than what I have at home! very comfortable. I really cannot fault this resort, it is in a great proximity to a supermarket - I had the best cup of tea I have ever tasted at Java Jazz, the buses pick up and drop off at the resort and the lady who organised the tours for all twenty one of us did a top job.

Room Tip: I was on the fourth floor oceanfront - obviously great views and very quiet.
1  Thank bushbowler
2BFair, General Manager at Aston Kaanapali Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Aloha,

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property on a future visit to Maui.

Warmest Aloha!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Traveled with extended family (10 total) to Aston Kaanapali Shores June 24-July 2. We had originally stayed here 20 years ago with the same family members (minus the kids). On the first trip, we were located at a ground floor multi-bedroom unit, while this time we were on the PH level with a direct view of the ocean.
The decor seemed little changed and badly in need of an update. The years seem to have weighed heavily on the Aston. However, the units were all clean and daily maid service kept the towels in ready supply, the beds made and the units relatively clean.
The daily resort fee and parking added an additional $240 to our stay and I am still on the fence on whether the cost was justified or not. The wifi was good and easy accessible from all rooms and the kids really loved the PS3 and the games/movies for free rental.
The cost of rental for the boogie boards was a little high ($10/day per board) and while you do have direct access to the beach, it is very rocky and really not usable for walking. If you want to use a beach, you need to walk down 1/4 mile or so to the south or do what we did, travel to black rock (5 minutes).
Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. The one issue the ladies had was with photo session and the quality of the photos. I had to agree they were not good photos. Stick with the free photos and don't pay for any extras.
In summary, it was a very enjoyable trip and I can;'t wait to go back, though I will probably choose another resort next time.

3  Thank jsgolfman

We were happy to hear you had an enjoyable time at our resort. However, we were disappointed to hear that the room décor did not meet your expectations. We hope we'll have a future opportunity to welcome you back for a third time and create a positive experience for you and your family.

Aloha!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Aston Kaanapali Shores? Share your experiences!