“the concierge named Dawn was the rudest most unprofessional person”

Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
belleville
“the concierge named Dawn was the rudest most unprofessional person”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

The hostess named Dawn was so rude and disrespectful. We had never visited Maui and thought the concierge could help us with our activities. This women looked at us and said, "can't you give me a minute! " We were in shock, there was no one else there and she was just looking into her purse. The tone in her voice and the look in her eyes were of pure hate. It just sucked the life out of us. My daughter had just commented on how pretty her dress was-wow! Yes we complained to the manager and yes she lied and tried to dispute what she said.But she couldn't the truth always prevails, but was she disiplined no, did she apologized, no. I guess she was duh, WINNING. She will always be a, well you know, and one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
GMSands, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 7 May 2011
Dear Apple731,

Aloha from sunny Kaanapali!

I thank you for choosing to spend your vacation with us here on beautiful Kaanapali Beach. I would like to sincerely apologize for the experience you describe above because as I explained that morning those certainly aren’t the kinds of memories we want our Guests taking home with them.

I thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback because it gives us an opportunity to learn from the situation and to take the necessary actions to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again.

I hope that you were able to otherwise enjoy all the beauty and serenity this magical island has to offer because it truly is a special place. I thank you again for choosing to stay with us and apologize for the frustration this situation caused you. Please know that we would love the opportunity to redeem ourselves by serving you again someday. Until then I wish you and your family all the best!

Me ke aloha pumehana,
(with warmest regards)

Michael J. Sands

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

When we arrived our room was ready. We had booked a one bedroom Gardenview Room through Expedia. We felt we had lucked out because the suite was huge, recently updated (granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances) and it was located on the 2nd floor of the Aloha tower which meant we had a full-size lanai complete with patio furniture. (the 3rd to 6th floors have small balconies which you can't fit a chair on).
The beach was awesome, we didn't have any issues with the staff, most were very friendly and helpful.
The grounds are gorgeous, we used the pool and hot tub daily. Although the fitness centre isn't exciting, you really don't need it because there is a beach walk that goes for miles throughout Kaanipali and it is busy with joggers and walkers in the morning....great way to see other properties and to people watch.
We saw beautiful fish and sea turtles while snorkeling just to the right of the hotel...same fish as we saw at Black Rock but much less busy. We rented snorkeling equipment right in front of the hotel and Mitch was helpful in getting us the right fit on the first day and we were able to keep the equipment for the week.
The location is quiet and comfortable. I was surprised to meet people there who hadn't rented a car, I understand that there is a trolley that goes around Kaanipali but we enjoyed having our rental car to go about as we pleased.
We saw a lot of other properties while we were in Maui but none looked any better than this one. We liked that it had the lower buildings in the front and the Aloha tower at only 6 floors...the huge tower resorts aren't what we were looking for.
This was our first trip to Hawaii and this property was everything we had hoped for and more.

1 Thank memorymakermom
MKVguestservices, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Aloha Memorymakermom,

Mahalo for choosing the Maui Ka’anapali Villas for your very first Maui vacation! We appreciate your positive remarks on our accommodations, as well as our facilities, amenities and the Aloha Spirit of our staff. We definitely have an awesome location in Ka’anapali; tucked away from the crowded Ka’anapali strip, but close enough to reap the benefits of a walk to and from the action! As you mentioned the beach walk is awesome for people watching and has amazing ocean front views in either direction. With the Beach Shack open for beach rentals and water gear, our very own Castaway Café open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and our other great amenities like the One Stop General store, you barely have to leave the property at all. Still, if you want to get out and about having a car allows you to check out the all beauty of our Island at your own pace and for those without a car the free Ka’anapali Trolley is a relaxing alternative to get to hot spots, shopping and dining in the Ka’anapali Resort area. We are definitely proud of our location, facility, staff and amenities and thank you for taking the time to recognize us. We hope to welcome you and your ‘Ohana back to the Villas for many more years to come!

NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

Checked into this property on Tuesday March 8th and departed on Saturday the 12th.

First of all when I checked into the hotel I was given room 507 in the Aloha Tower. According to Expedia this room was to have an ocean view and was supposed to be 1200+ SF. The room was not an ocean view in my opinion but was more of a parking lot / lobby view (Just because your high up and can see the water does not make a room an ocean view IMHO, heck I can see NYC from the roof of my house but that doesnt mean my house has a view of the city). Also the room was no where near 1200 SF and the furnishings were quite outdated.

Although the room was not as ADVERTISED the overall grounds of the hotel were quite NICE. Excellent park of Kaanapali Beach and probably the most relaxing property on the entire section of Kaanapali. No crowds and beautiful grounds. And even though the room was not as advertised it turned out to be fine for y stay as we were on the beach for the most part anyway.

The major problem with this HOTEL is the FRONT DESK STAFF. Two employees stand out in my mind as being very rude. A gentlemen by the name of RUDY was probably the RUDEST person I met in all of HAWAII. Never once said Aloha or Mahalo, acted like any guest was bothering him whenever someone wanted something. While waiting in a long line I watched him basically tell one lady to stop bothering him and ask someone else. And one woman needed a key made because her 21 month old was locked in the room. He slapped the key on the counter and made her walk all the way around the lobby to get it rather than handing it to her. By the time I made it up to the counter to ask for the key to the shower this man had already ruined 3 peoples stay at the property.

The other staff member of interest was a man named Joe. Joe was quite arrogant when I came to him with a room issue and seemed to care much more about hotel OWNERS than hotel guests. His arrogance really put a damper on the first day of our stay. I was really surprised at the difference in hotel staff between Waikiki Beach (stayed at the Marriott and this property). Literally some of the rudest staff I have ever encountered throughout all my whole stays ANYWHERE.

Now to the TSUNAMI WARNING. Had this TSUNAMI hit Kaanapali hard this hotel would have been destroyed and many would have lost their lives. The hotel had NO IDEA what it was doing during the Tsunami warning. One gentlemen said to leave the hotel and go up the mountain. Another one said to stay put in my room. Shouldnt there be a better plan of action in place. They really didnt know what to do and that made it worse for us visitors to the island.

Even though my review is quite critical if this property would clean up the front desk staff I would probably stay there again. I really liked the grounds and the quietness of it.. And all the other staff were fine from Castaways to Maintenance. Its really just the FRONT DESK staff. They were TERRIBLE!!!

4 Thank vegasfanNj
GMSands, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Dear Vegasfan,

Aloha from sunny Kaanapali!

I would like to Thank You for your kind words about our excellent location, lovely grounds, and that you felt most of the staff here were fine. I am very proud of our wonderful staff and the awesome job they do. However, it’s apparent by your comments that a couple of our Team members missed the mark during your stay, and for which I sincerely apologize. Please know that the two gentlemen you reference have over 50 years of combined service to the Guests of this property and I normally get very high accolades for both of them so it was very surprising to read comments like these. In fact, both of these gentlemen have been nominated for Visitor Industry Service Awards numerous times over the years, but in this case they obviously missed the mark. Please know that I’ve gone over your comments with them specifically, as well as with the rest of our Team so that we can all learn from this situation in an effort to prevent a reoccurrence in the future.

As referenced in your letter, on the evening of March 10th, following a catastrophic 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan and resulting Tsunami, the entire State of Hawaii was put in a Tsunami Warning status. Here in Hawaii we had just been through a Tsunami Warning one year earlier following a major earthquake in Chile so the evacuation process and our emergency procedures were still very fresh in our minds.

Following the February 2010 Tsunami Warning it was evident that we needed to have at least one Television Monitor in the Lobby because although all the network television News Channels were covering the event live and repeating all relevant information including constant Civil Defense updates, there was still a large number of people that left the information being broadcast live in their apartments to come to the Front Desk to ask questions. Consequently, as part of our recent Lobby Renovations that were completed in the October 2010 we included a 32” HD television monitor at the Front Desk, and a 65” HD television monitor in the Honu Room (located adjacent to the Front Desk) so that anyone coming to the Lobby Area (including Staff) had access to the most recent Civil Defense updates.

Having these television monitors broadcasting live News Coverage and Civil Defense updates at the Front Desk provided us with live up to the minute information from which we could answer questions like yours with the facts we were getting from Civil Defense. In regards to your questions on "which floors to evacuate and evacuation routes," during the February 2010 tsunami warning the Civil Defense directive was that the 4th floor and above would be safe to remain occipied, and therefore that was the information we provided early on. Later in the evening during this March 10th event Civil Defense advised that only the 6th floor or above was safe to remain occupied, so that was the directive we followed.

As to the evacuation route / locations we recommended, we advised everyone to follow the Civil Defense instructions being given on TV, or the printed Civil Defense updates we printed and had available at the Front Desk. We also explained that the road leaving the property could be taken straight thru the intersection and up the hill behind the property to a safe “high ground” location (per the Civil Defense map). Our experience in February was that in addition to being a “safe” high ground location, the hill behind the property had the easiest access back to the property after the all clear was given.

I would like to add that I was very proud of our Staff for their tireless efforts throughout the night in assisting and providing guidance for our Guest during this emergency. I was also very proud of our Guests that evening for heading the warnings and taking appropriate actions to move to higher ground. It was very impressive how smooth the whole evacuation process transpired, and I am especially thankful that we were blessed with no injuries or damage to the property whatsoever.

In closing I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your concerns because it is through feedback from our Guests that we can truly get a feel for how we are doing. I was especially happy to read that although you had concerns with a couple members of our Front Desk Staff you would in fact return to this beautiful property again in the future. I apologize again for any frustrations this situation may have caused you, and please know that we look forward to the opportunity of redeeming ourselves by serving you again some day. Until then I wish you and your Ohana (family) all the best!

Me ke aloha pumehana
(with warmest regards)

Michael J. Sands
San Leandro, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

Last year we stayed at the Kaanapali Shores. KS was great but we wanted a place further down the beach away from the rocks. We picked the Maui Kaanapali Villas for the location.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom ocean view room. Room was recently renovated and was huge for a 1 bedroom. Property was quiet at night. The recently renovated lobby looked great.

Location was perfect. Beach was great for swimming in front of the hotel, outstanding snorkeling 100 ft down the beach in front of the Westin and 15 minute walk in the other direction to Black Rock. I thought snorkeling by the Westin as better than Black Rock. The kids dug the pool and the beach. We booked the room on the Aston website and got a fantastic package deal for flights, room and car.

We loved the place and expect to return.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rmac2581
MKVguestservices, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Aloha rmac2581,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our beautiful property and awesome beach! We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding the recent upgrades to the lobby as well as the spacious floor plans of our units. We are very proud of both. Our owners and staff work diligently to make this property a special place for all our visitors and are so happy to know that that extra effort allowed you and your family to have a great vacation with us. We hope to welcome your family back to the Maui Ka’anapali Villas soon!

A Hui Hou,
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

This condo resort is located in the best of both world's in my opinion. It is on the Kaanapali Beach Walk and Free Trolley Line so very easy to get into the action at Whaler's Village and Blackrock area of Kaanapali Beach, but far enough away that the resort is very quiet and peaceful.

First impressions when driving up is that the property is very large, spread over several buildings and a little older. Check in was quick and friendly. Front desk is open 24 hours with tour booking agent in lobby. There is a small store in the lobby too incase you forgot any essentials. There was a free Managers Mai Tai party on the day we arrived, that was a really nice welcome.

Our condo was a 2 bedroom unit. We had a fully stocked kitchen with dishwasher. Unit had been updated in some ways, appliances, bathroom but not in others, kitchen counter tops. The decor was very Hawaiian in feel. It is tough to comment on condos in Hawaii as although Aston manages this particular property most of the units are individually owned so there can be large differences between units. Some owner's have done upgrades and renos and some have not. We were lucky and very happy with the condo that was assigned to us. The only downside to our unit was the Lanai. At first glance it appeared very long with access from the living room and 1 bedroom. Upon closer inspection we realized that it was more 'french balcony' style. It was very narrow, only allowing you to step out onto it. Too narrow for chairs so really not useable. All of the Lanai's in the main building, attached to the office appeared to be this way. If I stayed again I would request ground floor in order to have a patio or a room really close to the ocean as those buildings had full size Lanai's.

The property is large and nicely landscaped. Some Pathways are stone and uneven so reduced mobility guests might struggle with that. There are BBQ's around the property for guests to use for cooking. We only used the larger pool by the ocean, it has been redone in the recent past with a bridge and waterfall. It is really nice with a hot tub and shallow kiddie area, but was not heated and really cold. There was a 3 times / week water aerobices class offered at this pool during our stay. Behind the pool is a grassy area with lawn chairs and then the beach. The beach is really beautiful here, quite wide and not too rocky. There is a restaurant by the pool area that we did not use.

I loved the fact that we could walk to Blackrock and Whaler's village on the Beachwalk path. This hotel is also on the free trolley line and we used this a few times to go to the Sheraton for the Sunset Cliff Dive Ceremony and to Whaler's Village. This is very convenient.

This resort was very quiet. Floaties and balls are frowned upon in the pool. There seemed to be a lot of 'owners' at the resort in February as oppossed to tourists, families. Definately more of a Senior clientele than where we stayed previously. We did not feel unwelcome at all, it was just very quiet.

There is a resort fee per night, currently $13. This covers parking, highspeed wifi or wired in the room, toll free and local calls, use of safe in room.

I really loved the location of this resort, I would certainly stay again if the price was right. The Lanai was very dissapointing as sitting out there in the morning and evening is a highlite for us. Next time I would try my best to get a full size Lanai for sure.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank momtravelswith3
MKVguestservices, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Aloha momtravelwith3,

Mahalo for choosing the Maui Ka’anapali Villas for your Maui vacation! We are so glad you found our resort comfortable and welcoming. We have an awesome staff, from the front desk clerks to the grounds men, who do their best to make every guest feel at home. We definitely have an awesome spot in Ka’anapali; tucked away from the crowded Ka’anapali strip, but close enough to reap the benefits of a walk, or free Ka’anapali Trolley ride to hot spots, shopping, dining and of course, Blackrock. We are delighted to know that you were able to experience some of the great amenities we have on property, from the BBQs and water aerobics to the always popular Thursday Mai Tai party. We hope you and your family made some wonderful memories at the Villas and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

The accomodations and ambience of this resort were perfect for our vacation. We enjoyed meeting other guests, loved the water sports available at the front shack, and couldn't take our eyes off the whales playing offshore. The people who work there were friendly and helpful, our condo was beautiful, and we were within walking distance of great restaurants and entertainment. I'll definately plan to stay here anytime I go to Maui.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Just556
Aloha Just556,

Mahalo for taking the time give some awesome feedback on your stay with us at the Maui Ka’anapali Villas! We appreciate your positive commentary on our facilities, amenities and the Aloha Spirit of our staff. We are pleased that you were able experience some of the great things our property has to offer and are excited to welcome you back to the Villas on your next Maui Visit.

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

We have been here many times, mostly in a garden view, ground floor studio, but this time we stayed in a 2 bed, 2 bath with an ocean view because there were 5 of us, including 2 toddlers. All the rooms we have stayed in have been good. We always get a ground floor so we have a patio, grass and can walk right out to the beach or pool without using stairs or elevators. We really enjoy the privacy and quietude here, instead of the rows on rows of lounge chairs and the many people at the big high rise hotels . Also the public areas such as the lobby and main pool have been tastefully updated. As the other reviews have noted, the location is super convenient - right on the "beach walk," very close to "golf," a beautiful15-20 min. stroll to Whaler's Village and close to the "snorkelling" areas. The restaurant "Castaways" is pretty good, but we do like to eat at the Hula Grill in Whaler's Village better, although Castaways fish sandwich and cocktails are good, especially with a $1 off during Happy Hours. Beautiful, relaxing place!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank janl49
Aloha janl49,

Mahalo for choosing the Maui Ka’anapali Villas for your vacation once again! We are always excited to welcome our return guests back. One of the great things about the Villas is the variety of room types: Hotel Rooms, Studios, One Bedrooms and Two Bedrooms, there’s something for everyone here and we’re happy that we were able to accommodate your growing family! Thank you for your kind comments on the upgrades to our lobby and pool areas! We definitely take pride in the beauty of our property and are pleased when our guests take the time to compliment the wonderful improvements. We’re also glad you were able to experience our very own Castaway Café, a hidden gem for ocean front dining. We hope to welcome you back to the Villas for many more years to come.