“Absolutely Dreamy!”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Olympia, Washington
“Absolutely Dreamy!”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My sweetheart and I got away to MKV for a much-needed week of relaxation. Here are the highlights:

Accommodations - excellently furnished, clean, homey, contemporary, gorgeous
Staff - responsive, respectful
Activities - quiet pool, loud pool, strong ocean current but excellent snorkeling right off the beach just north of MKV property (we saw a multitude of colorful fish, eels, a pod of dolphins and others nearby saw a turtle), free trolley to nearby locations.

Overall, excellent experience and a bargain. Every time we went off property, we were bombarded with crowds, chaos, traumatized wildlife and generally no fun. MKV literally seems charmed - even the daily clouds/rain slide by on the northern edge leaving it mostly sunny. The lady at the activities desk does nothing but scowl and read novels. Not even a 'hello' the entire week!

Downsides:
The spa is really just a glamorized closet - massages poor and not worth the price. The dining is just so-so, but convenient. Very well-stocked though predictably pricey hotel store. We could tell that we landed in one of the best units in the place. It really does vary by owner and if you'd like to reserve the one we stayed in, reach out to me and I'll give you the owner's contact info.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HeatherSL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We spent our Honeymoon here 20 years ago and there is no better place to spend our 20th wedding anniversary! We have come back to this resort many times over the years and love the location, friendly staff, on-site restaurant, wonderful beach, gorgeous sunsets and the best snorkeling with-in walking distance. This time we are bringing our 9 year old and look forward to trying out the special kids Camp Kaanapali. We will let you know how it all went!
A happy family from San Diego, CA

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank CarlsbadAnnie
Sacramento CA
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This is going to be long... I want to be thorough so that i am helpful, i cant stand reviews that are short and dont help at all... why even leave a review?

I thought that the price of the hotel and the amount of amenities would be too good to be true..just FYI though AMKV was not a hotel for people that want glits and glam and to be pampered. But for people that are down to earth and practical this is a great place... But dont mistake that comment to mean this place is shabby in any way, it is absolutely beautiful and you get all of the average amenities and then some.

But starting off we arrived to Joe at the front desk and he absolutely, hands down, was the best person to start off our honeymoon check in. He upgraded our room to an ocean view at no charge to us and made sure that we had a bottle of champaigne. We were in the tower room 620.

The hotel and room was clean, the grounds were amazingly well maintained, and just lovely. Our room was recently renovated with granite countertops nice furniture and had huge mirrors throughout the entire room that made the place feel much larger than it already was. The kitchen was complete with everything you can think of to feel at home. We woke every morning to bright skies and birds chirping. And the room had an awesome AC so when the nights were hot and muggy (bc that is Hawaii for you) we just turned on the AC and were super comfortable.

The grounds were beautiful kept and every night they lit the torches all around the property which was so cool to walk around at night. The beach was perfect. The sand was fine where we were and if you go to the left towards the sheriton the sand becomes more course and you can see the black rock beach and if you go to the right towards the Westin the beach becomes super corally and the snorkeling there is amazing. We just got some snorkel gear and snorkeled there like 4 days it was so great. We saved money doing it that way instead of pay for a cruise ;that takes you out in the middle of the ocean and you have to squint to see anything because you are so far above the coral. In front of the Westin You only have to walk about 10 feet from where the wakes break to see so many different types of fish. There are these black fish that hang around the shore so you can see them just feet from the shore. We even saw two turtles there during our many snorkeling adventures.

They have a trolley that goes to the Whalers village but we didnt use it bc we had a car and we only wanted to do whalers village once, why spend time at a mall when you can be doing so many other things.

Joe suggested a restaurant called Da Kitchen in Kahului that serves hawaiian food and it was perfect. Great prices for the amount you get. We had dinner for LITTERALLY three meals. $8-$15 PerPerson. Thanks Joe

The pool area is beautiful and fun. There is a bridge that crosses over the pool and you can swim under the bridge and there is water the falls continually from the bridge which is fun.

There arent too many kids but it is not just for old people like some of the earlier reviews state. My husband and i are 23 and we had a lot of fun and didnt feel out of place at all. We didnt eat at the Castaway but it seemed like it had a steady stream of customers and we heard from other vacationers that the food was great especially the breakfast.

We will not hesitate to stay at this location for our future Maui trips or any of the Aston properties on the other islands for that matter.

Thank you soooo much to everyone at The Villas especiall Joe

- Jon and Ashley D.

Room Tip: dont spend hundreds of dollars on a snorkel trip
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ADeissroth
australia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

coming over from australia we definetly wanted to be right on the beach and kaanapali delivered !, the best part of the beach actually !! ,lovely staff nice room (fold out sofa needs an update ),also carpet cleaned or replaced ......,we shared a wonderful holiday together catching the trolley to and from whalers village ,visiting all around maui and loving that beaqch and sunsets blew us away ... mahalo

Room Tip: luck of the draw
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank noodles09
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 6 June 2011

After reading the reviews, we made a call to the front desk and asked for an upgraded room long before our arrival. We got to room 615, and OMG it looked like the 50's exploded in there. The furniture was awful and falling apart, and the room just felt old & crusty! I sent my hubby down to talk to the front desk. They didn't have any other rooms with a king bed, so on our honeymoon, we settled for two queen beds in a room that had decent furnishings and furniture made post 80's era. The kitchen in the new room - 609, was fabulous and upgraded. The views from the couch were incredible! The beach was close. The cafe was not so great, the food was bland and if you mess up a quesadilla in my book you should just throw in the towel. Having the kitchen in the room was well worth it.

Room Tip: Book early! Ask for the updated rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JuneJimJaxJadon
GMSands, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear JuneJimJaxJadon,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review because even though the reviews aren’t always flattering it is important for us to know how we are doing in the eyes of our Guests. In this case we obviously dropped the ball on your room request, and for which I sincerely apologize. I was glad to read that you were much happier with your second unit because your happiness is our business!

Please know that we take these surveys very seriously and are working diligently with the Owner of unit 615 to remedy the issues that led to your dissatisfaction.

I apologize again for our missing the mark during your arrival and sincerely hope we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves by serving you again someday. Until then I wish you all the best!

Me ke aloha pumehana,

Michael J. Sands
Reviewed 5 June 2011

The first room I was given was the hotel room category. It had a mini fridge in the bathroom closet which I thought was a bit strange. The view was of the maintenance area and it was right next to the busy highway. The cars and trucks driving by were so loud. As I tried to leave my room, I couldn't open the door. The handle was stuck and it took several tries for me to finally get out. I let the bell hop/maintenance worker know about the door issue when he brought up my bags. He proceeded to very loudly pound on the door jam and handle for quite a while before I'd finally had enough and asked to switch rooms.

I was then sent on a wild goose chase to find an acceptable room, all in the hotel room category. They were either all located near the highway, had views of the maintenance area which was uncomfortable because the workers would look up at the rooms to see the guests which was very creepy and uncomfortable. I ended up paying a fee for an upgrade to a studio room. Had I spent just $10 more/night I could have stayed somewhere nicer.

Parking situation is terrible. No valet and very limited space. The beach right in front of the resort is very steep, however there is a good snorkeling spot about 500 feet up. The hotel decor is very dated. Looks like it hasn't been updated in 30+ years. No elevators to rooms so you have to drag your luggage up the stairs or pay the bell hops to do it

Bottom line, spend a bit more money and stay somewhere much nicer.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank patriciaucla
Dear Patriciaucla,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review because your feedback is very important to us. Please accept my apology for the initial room we assigned you not meeting your expectations. The category you booked and were assigned was our “Hotel Room” category. I was glad to read that once we became aware of your dissatisfaction with your initial accommodations we had the availability for you to move into our Studio category. Our Studio apartments are normally in high demand because they are very spacious, equipped with a full kitchen, great for small families, and are perfect for longer stays. The majority of the units here at the Maui Kaanapali Villas are Studios, one and two bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchens and all the conveniences of home.

I apologize again for our missing the mark during your arrival and sincerely hope that once we got those issues resolved you were able to enjoy all the beauty and serenity this magical property has to offer… not to mention some GREAT snorkeling! I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to serve you again someday, and until then I wish you all the best!

Mahalo nui loa!

Michael J. Sands
General manager
Reviewed 26 May 2011

These condos are an excellent value ,very quiet and clean.The staff are superb,very friendly and helpful especially Joe at the front desk.We had a studio room with a garden view,we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011