“Perfect”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Baltimore, Maryland
“Perfect”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a 10-day stay here. I'm so happy we stayed here. It was perfect for us. We were in the Banyan building, with a ground level garden view room. Although the room wasn't overly luxurious, it was clean, comfortable, and had everything we needed. The full kitchen was well stocked. (Husband went fishing, so it was nice to be able to cook the Mahi Mahi he caught!) The property is beautiful and well kept. The pools were never crowded. The restaurant/bar, Castaway Café, was a nice option. (BEST lava flow drinks on the island!) This area of the beach is also very nice. Great snorkeling from here and north. Good location also- plenty of restaurants, shops, etc, nearby, but not overly touristy or anything. We also booked during a special offer, and I'm very happy with the rate we paid.

I also had a spa treatment at the on-site spa, Third Heaven Spa. AMAZING! One of the best I've ever had. I got the Hawaiian Rejuvenation Package. Worth every penny.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had an amazing experience at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas. My sister, brother and I did a mid week trip to Maui for a little reunion. We arrived at about 9 in the morning and even though our room wasn't available the front desk attendant gave us a key card and towels so we'd be able to use the amenities while we waited for our room to be cleaned. When we went in to get the key for our room, they offered us a free upgrade on our room from a studio garden view to a one bedroom ocean/garden view. The room was a little dated but the wall of sliding glass doors with the amazing view more than made up for it!
Everyone we interacted with at the resort went above and beyond to make sure we had the best stay. The guys working at the welcome reception we all smiles and super friendly. The concierge (I really wish I remembered her name! Younger blonde lady) was super knowledgeable and was able to give us the best options that suited what we wanted out of our trip. Our server at the beach side restaurant, the bar tender there as well, the guy working at the snorkel/beach chair rental hut they were all amazing!! They all are the reason I'll be returning to Maui...at to this resort!

1 Thank 899danaf
West Hills, CA
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom garden view with a view of the beach. I condo was beautifully appointed. The grounds were flawless and I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating Couldn't have asked for a anything more.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was my 3rd stay at these condos right on Kaanapali beach, first time in early October. Great time of year, ideal sunny weather with little rain, spectacular sunsets. The units do vary, & I have stayed in 3 different buildings in one-bedroom suites, always happy with the cleanliness, furnishings, etc. This time on 3rd floor of 6-floor unit (all others are just 2 stories & traditional architecture) in a beautiful premium suite. Disadvantage: just a couple of feet between sliding glass doors and railing so you can stand outside but no lanai or balcony big enough to put chairs or table. Advantages: large 2-sink bathroom, separated from toilet/shower room & great fully equipped kitchen with fridge with automatic ice maker; generally spacious with very good quality furnishings, excellent king bed, zoned air conditioning, insulated curtains against west-facing sliding glass doors. The mixed view (garden, neighboring hotel, other rooms' patios) included palm trees & surprisingly a nice strip of ocean although only on 3rd floor (315).

The MK Villas are a mellow, lovely place to stay. The Castaway Cafe serves all meals, with open walls & inside or outside dining just yards from the beach & you can get a morning latte or some french fries after a swim and wander over to the lounge chairs right there on the grass. Also right on the property--a small "general store" with basic foods & supplies & hats, etc--a rental shack with kayaks, boogie boards, snorkel gear, life jackets, & experienced, friendly, safety-conscious staff full of advice about enjoying the ocean--a lovely swimming pool with little waterfalls, perfect for small kids if you need a break from the beach--shuffleboard--and barbecues for guests' use. There is a full bar, but this is not your place if you want a rowdy night-life scene. But it's just steps away from the Royal Hawaiian with its nightly Luau beginning at sunset. I love the mix of ages that like to stay here; it works for babies to elderly, and for active-all-day to lounge-around vacationers. It's LGBT *and* family-friendly. Supermmarket and other major shopping is less than 10 minutes away, and you can be in the center of Lahaina in about 12 minutes. And best of all -- Black Rock (famous snorkling area) is minutes down the beach in one direction, but even closer, up the beach is a large reef where you can snorkel for hours with never more than a few other humans around. MKV no ka 'oi !

Room Tip: I have not experienced the "musty smell" issue anywhere -- the more traditional buildings...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irene K
California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My parents stayed in Unit #611 for a week this month. I stayed with my husband and son on the last day of our vacation and I'm glad we were only there for a day. Wow, what a disappointment. This unit was touted as the "penthouse" with sweeping views and a huge lanai. It WAS on the corner top floor, with a big lanai, but that's about where the accuracies end. It was set far back on the property towards the busy main road and you get quite a bit of road noise when on the lanai. The furniture on the lanai was old and dated. We had to wipe everything down before sitting on it. The entire unit was dirty and disgusting. I felt like I needed to wear my flip flops in the shower. It was moldy, and the grout and tile were stained and dirty. It was is need of a complete remodel. Awful wallpaper, scuffed walls, old vanities. The white leather chair in the living room had tears and stains on it. The couch was old and dirty. The bedspreads were dated. The kind that you wonder when the last time they were washed. There was dust and stains on the ceilings at the air conditioner vents. And there were fake flowers everywhere!! Even in the closet! The carpet was ancient and I can only guess how long it's been there. The fan in the living room didn't work. Things were falling apart. This unit needs to be completely gutted, remodeled, and re-furnished. You shouldn't need to feel like you have to keep your shoes on, or second guess sitting on the couch. I understand the units are individually owned, so there can be huge variations from one to the next. I'm sure Maui Kaanapali Villas were "it" back in Frank Sinatra's era but their heyday has long past. Unit #611 clearly needs to be taken off the rental market and completely refurbished. It's a shame because it has the potential to be something special.

Room Tip: Units are individually owned and vary in quality greatly. Do not book Unit #611 unless you don'...
7 Thank FruitSalad
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for taking some time out of your Holiday to give us some feedback. We sincerely want to know where our customers think we should strive to improve.

Unfortunately in this case, we have a circumstance that is outside the normal process.
The unit that you stayed in is unit 611 and that unit is not part of the Aston Rental program. The reason this is important is that the title of our Trip Advisor page is the “Aston” Maui Kaanapali Villas. Aston is very proud to be associated with this property, but many of the apartments here are rented by the owner directly to the guests and we have no control over what they are renting.

It is clear from your letter that the condition of the room was the issue with your stay at our property. Sadly, that review will be read by many people who will think that it is indicative of the 185 units that are in the Aston program rather than the few that are not.

In addition to posting this response I am going to ask you if you would consider requesting Tripadvisor to remove the posting. I do not disagree with your comments; I just do not want to see the Aston owners and associates penalized for a product they do not control.

Mahalo
Pat Flinn
CA
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Wish I own that Ocean view studio condo unit we stayed in! (618!) I didn't want to leave!!! It was our home away from home! Felt so at home in this unit. This was our first trip to Maui (2nd visit to Hawaii). We were here to celebrate our first year wedding anniversary. :) I decided to book a condo this time so we have an option to just eat-in on some days or in-between hours of the day as it really gets expensive if you'll eat out all the time while in Hawaii. I chose Aston kaanapali Villas after some researching and reading up on traveler's reviews. I must say i was a bit worried because I know each unit here are owned by someone and are just being rented and managed by Aston. I booked through priceline so it wasn't like i know which room I am staying in. I was afraid to end up in a UN-upgraded ugly unit... When we were checking-in I even asked if our room is new and has upgrades. The front desk guy just simply said, all of our units here are pretty much all newly upgraded... but if you do not like it I can check for other available units we have. So I told the husband let's check out the room first and leave our luggage in the car. I want to see the room first before hauling everything.. I'm staying for 7 days and paid good $ for this so I want to make sure I'll like the place I'm staying in for the next week! Well, we got in the room and the beautiful newly ugraded kitchen greeted me right away...and with that I was sold! lol
We had 2 nice size queen beds in the room though instead of just 1 king bed but I didn't care. It's actually nice to have 2 beds to roll around on... haha 2 VERY comfortable beds! I loved everything in our unit. Everything is MY style and to my taste and that's probably why I felt so at home right away. I was hoping to get upgraded to a 1 bedroom condo ocean view but whatevs. This was good enough for us. :) The Lanai I wish would be bigger. It's so tight! I was jealous of how huge the Lanai is at the Westin resort next door...but not a deal breaker. Had a fantastic view of the sunset from our Lanai... We were at the top floor (6th) so It was awesome! Wish we were closer to the water but oh well.. Still was a good one! :) I would HATE to be in the lower levels or those all the way at the back units. The best building will be the "dolphin bldg" but ONLY if you have the upper units. The bldg. across it (forgot the name) is good too. If you're in the lower levels however, sure you have a huge patio area but basically you're across the pool area and you'll see people walking by all the time and not much of a view of the ocean at your own private space.. but the walk to the beach is closer... But I still would rather stay in the upper levels. The property/grounds are super clean and well maintained. Love the gardens. The pool is also nice. Their beach is nice and not crowded! It is just A WALK from black rock. The villa is right next to Westin Resort and right in front of their property is a GREAT snorkeling spot as well! The property has castaway cafe that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. We only ate breakfast here. Ate here twice and loved it! We'd sit outside so we have a view. Sun was out and we were getting misty rain at the same time. It was awesome. Food was delish. Island style pancake and that Haleakala omelet...Yummo! I would stay here again if we go back to Maui. They were in a perfect location in my opinion. Kaanapali beach was one of the best of what I saw in Maui. We pretty much went around the island (including road to hana) we went around napili beach, kapalua, kihei. This was the best for us. We didn't get to check out the beaches in front of the Wailea resorts.I'm sure those are prime as well. But those are hotel resorts. I don't believe they have condos there. Kihei, the condos are across the street from the beach. You have to cross the street... (kinda like how resorts are along waikiki) Kaanapali beach was better than Kamaole beach (their beach in Kihei) and no reef to snorkel on there either. Staying in Kaanapali also is just a drive away from Front street and or other restaurants in kapalua. I'm glad I decided to stay in West Maui! Oh I have to point out, the owners of our unit also has this little notebook of wherein they ask guests to write in about their experience staying in their "piece of paradise" and how the stay in maui went. I thought that was a really nice personal touch. So yes, overall I loved our stay here (if in case you still can't tell from what I've said so far lol) Stay in a condo while in Maui. Them hotel resorts are sooo overrated! You can always just crash in their property if you just want to check out their pool area or dine in... (we did haha) I totally pretended I was rich and I owned that spot during our stay here... I was jealous of those retired couples we see that live in this property! Must be nice.... MAHALO for we enjoyed our stay here a lot! ALOOOHAAA and A HUI HOU !!!! <3

Room Tip: My advise is if you are not booking a vacation package and you're booking your condo separately...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iSpitzfiyah
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We arranged to stay here for our honeymoon in January. We were really excited as the reviews we had read made the place sound fantastic. However, to say we were disappointed would be the understatement of the year. Our villa was awful, it smelled like mould, there was mould growing on the roof and our 'sea view' was the back of the restaurant. The interior was dated, tired, and on reading through the guest book in the villa the last comments all echoed our feelings about the place. We complained to management and they let us look at another room, but this room was equally dated, old and musty. We managed to book in to another hotel down the road, and checked out an hour after arriving. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JennyW_NZ
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Aloha-
I am sorry our property did not meet your expectations. We want everyone that visits to enjoy Maui and I hope your trip was enjoyable and that you found a property that was a good fit for your needs.
Mahalo