“Comfortable and well-situated”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Vancouver, Canada
“Comfortable and well-situated”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Though somewhat dated, the MKV had its charm. Low rise buildings dotted the nicely landscaped grounds. The pool was 50 m. from the beach so kids could run back and forth. The unit we had was clean and big though kitchen was in need of renovation. However, the price was excellent so this is only a very minor complaint. Staff was professional and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Korean first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here: it's peaceful, has an amazing beach, and I appreciated the in-studio kitchens. This is a great place to stay if you want a quiet, relaxing trip, and I look forward to returning with my [adult] family. (However, I'd recommend staying somewhere else if you want a trendy, young place.) In more detail:

PROS

- Peacefulness: even though we were here over Christmas, the property felt spacious and quiet. We had a nice amount of privacy in our garden view patio near the "kid's" pool. Some of the pricier hotels in the area (e.g., the Hyatt) are crowded, with beach chairs crammed together in tight rows. I much preferred the peace & quiet at this hotel.

- The beach was AMAZING! The water was calm and clear enough for me to swim & snorkel (and I am a very nervous swimmer).

- It was very convenient to have the in-studio kitchen. They are full kitchens with pots, pans, utensils, etc. I get sick of eating at restaurants and really liked having the kitchen.

CONS (sorta)

- The restaurant is not very good. That is not much of a problem because there are tons of other restaurants around. Also, the bar is pretty quiet (but to be honest, that was a plus for me).

- The hotel is not going to win any design awards, but the rooms are pleasantly inoffensive with faux island furnishings. Some rooms are marginally nicer than others (we rented 3); some have marble counters & hardwood, whereas others have carpet.

- When traveling with my girlfriends, we often pick "pampering" hotels with energetic concierges, upscale spas, etc. Although the concierge was friendly, this is not that kind of hotel. (But not what I was looking for on this trip.)

Room Tip: Only 5 studio rooms have 2 beds. If you want 2 beds, call the hotel direct (not the central reservat...
3 Thank apf_travels
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Nice place to stay. Friendly staff. On beach. Close to other beaches and attractions.

Management needs to inspect units more closely. My unit (215) had obviously been recently renovated, but had not been used. The air conditioning was not functioning because of a dead battery in a door sensor. There was a can of paint in the small bathroom. The lights above the sink in the large bathroom looked newly installed to overcome a design defect, but did not work. The bathtub was too high to easily get in or out of. Perhaps the tub was designed for two, (dimmable lights?), but it was not large enough. No one had inspected and/or cleaned the large patio. The lights in the bedroom are inadequate and the A/C blows too strongly.

Room Tip: Make sure you clearly specify how many beds you want.
1 Thank Arnie310
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This was our third stay at the Aston Villas. Great location, two pools including a kids pool, well maintained grounds(bbqs were awesome and cleaned everyday) and the beach was INCREDIBLE. There was no problem getting a chair by the pool or on the grass by the beach. There was also ample parking.

It's also right on the beach walk which is fantastic. And there is incredible snorkelling right off the beach and black rock is a quick walk or swim from the resort. We met some great people including a few that have kept coming back for over 20 years.

Castaways was mediocre at best, I don't recommend eating there. There is a food truck up by the sugar cane train called the Shark pit which was awesome and gets great reviews.

Some of my tips:

1. There is a managers happy hour with mai tai's and popcorn with live music which is worth going on Wednesday afternoon.
2. The trolly to whalers village is awesome and handy if you are drinking but plan to drive if you are not drinking or make sure you have the schedule because you can wait on a long time in the heat. Yogurtland at whalers is the best at Whalers btw.
3. Don't shop at Safeway - it's a rip-off - you can drive or have a 20 minute walk to Times market near the Aston. I think Foodland behind Maui Dive shop is still the best place to shop.
4. Fruit and vegetables are expensive but the whaler will give you a flyer for a farmers market on mon, wed, fri that is near by. It's busy but worth going as the prices are the best and they have good products. We also shopped this year at the Maui swap meet in Kapalua which was awesome.

So hopefully that helps you have a great vacation. We will definitely going back and I can't wait...

Room Tip: Note that these are owner suites - so each room is different and is of a different age, quality, etc...
5 Thank BuckFurbees
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I read some bad reviews about this place before I booked our trip. Don't know why there would be any bad reviews because this place is very clean and quiet. The staff was very professional and helpful with any requests. The grounds are very well kept. The room was fantastic, newly remodeled and perfect for my wife and I. We stayed there 12/5/13 through 12/10/13 during which the Castaway Restaurant was closed for remodeling but not a big deal, plenty of places to eat within a 10-15 minute walk. The kitchen was fully stocked with cooking utensils so we made breakfast in the condo and then ventured out. I highly recommend this place and we will definitely return on our next trip. I rated the sleep quality only very good because the mattress on the bed was OK for comfort and average for the Spa (Jacuzzi) because it was very hot and not really usable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Duane G
Seattle
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed in Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas last August for 11 nights.

Our initial room was fairly noisy, so we talked to the front desk. They gave us 3 different choice and we picked one that was quite and clean.

The condo ground is clean and well maintained. The beach is right in front and you are a few minutes away from Airport Beach up north, a good snorkeling spot.

They have free coffee every morning, parking is plenty. The nice thing about it is there's little or no kids running around and it's very peaceful.

I'd definitely consider going back there again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Overall, this complex is a lovely, quiet spot, with lovely big rooms. The staff are friendly and helpful. However, on this occasion, we were very disappointed that we had not been notified that the Castaway Restaurant would be closed for renovations during our entire stay. With no other restaurant close by, we had to catch the trolley to Whalers Village every meal time or visit the grocery store at Lahaina to stock up on supplies and cook for ourselves - not what we wanted on a holiday! Also, because the Restaurant was closed, so was the bar, so we couldn't even get a drink! We had booked 3 x 1BR Ocean View Apartments, but on check-in, were told 1 room would be round the side of the main building and you had to lean out the window to see the ocean! The furnishings in this room were terrible! Plastic covers on the dining chairs for goodness sake! The decor was left over from the 70's, and I'd say both bathroom and kitchen hadn't been touched since then either. Why they are still renting out this apartment is beyond me. Even the guy at Reception said he knows the room and everyone who's stayed there have complained. After much complaining, we were eventually given another room on another floor, but of equal quality of the other two rooms. Note to Management: If I book 3 x 1BR Ocean View Rooms, and pay the same price for each room, I'd expect them to be of the same quality, with the same facilities and the same view. Don't try to pass off a lesser quality room, hoping patrons won't complain. Also, please notify your guests BEFORE they arrive, when facilities at the complex are going to be closed. Obviously another reviewer "Honeymoon" has encountered the same problems. Be aware that most of the rooms at this hotel are privately owned and managed and rented out by the Aston Group. If owners are not keeping their apartments up to date and of a good standard, Aston Management should not be renting them fo un-suspecting guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you asked and paid for. Obviously some rooms are better than others. If you...
3 Thank pat-shops-a-lot