“Good place for kids not honeymoon”

Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Fresno, California
“Good place for kids not honeymoon”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed in the Banyan building for 5 nights. The room was clean, had tile floors which is great because I couldn't imagine having carpet with all the sand etc. full kitchen was nice as well! The bed was uncomfortable for me but husband had no complaints.The pool area was nice with a little kidde pool which was awesome for my toddler. There were a lot of young kids! Perfect for families but I would have not enjoyed if this was my honeymoon! There is another smaller pool which was much quieter with a nice hotub!

The location is fantastic, Kaanapali beach is nice and we enjoyed the walkway between all the resorts. There is a little bar/grill called Castaway something next to the pool and the drinks were really good and reasonably priced for Hawaii. 6.75$ a drink! The hamburgers were good too! Not a luxury place but still nice enough!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank soragamii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a nice laid-back place to stay.

The good:

We got a 1 bedroom unit with 2 queen beds that was very spacious, on the 2nd floor of the tower building. It was clean when we arrived. The filtered water and ice from the fridge was great, so no need to buy bottled water. There was air conditioning, but we turned it off and instead enjoyed the lovely warm tropical air.

My kindergartener loved the main pool. It's divided such that one side is only 3 ft deep, which was perfect for hours of playing and swimming for kids. They allow kids floaties in the pool, which makes it fun for them.

The ocean is just steps past the pool with a nice sandy beach.

It was nice and quiet at night -- no loud parties or anything like that to keep you awake.

My kindergartener had fun looking for little lizards and snails, smelling flowers, and chasing birds.

Most of the front desk people were really awesome, friendly and helpful. The only bad one we experienced was as we were leaving, as she was more interested in talking to a guy that was working there with her than in putting much effort into helping us.

If you have time to kill between check-out & when your flight leaves, you can stay on the property and use the pools. They have a locker-room setup w/a shower in the basement of the tower building that they will let you use to change clothes before you head to the airport.

There is a luau next door at the Royal Lahaina. It's cheaper than some of the other luaus on the island and you don't need to drive to get there. Keep your expectations low for the food and you will enjoy it, especially if you have little kids.

The not-so-good:

The bed had a mattress that was really really soft, and I literally woke up each morning to an aching back from the lack of support. It was really terrible. Luckily floating in the pool helped make my back feel better... until the next morning!

The bathroom had no tub. Instead, it had a shower with a stationary shower head, separated from the toilet by a half wall of glass blocks. It seems like this is a common design across the property as I've seen similar bathrooms posted in the user photos here. I hated it for 2 reasons - we ALWAYS had water on the floor outside the shower, and it is really hard to rinse sand off of legs and feet when there is no tub faucet or hand-held shower. Actually 3 reasons, 3rd being I really could have used a nice hot bath after getting out of that horrible bed in the morning.

The housekeeping service was more annoying than anything. When we arrived, we had no beach towels in our unit. The next day, housekeeping removed the kitchen towel and dish cloth and didn't replace them. Third day, they took the kitchen towel and dish cloth again, but left 2 dish towels in their place. One day the bath mat was removed but not replaced. Bath towels would be randomly replaced, or not! They would rearrange my personal stuff that I had on the kitchen counters and would put cups we were using into the dishwasher. Bottom line is I appreciated that the place was clean when we arrived but saw no benefit to the daily service while we were there.

Don't be swayed buy the "kids eat free" Aston promotion. It's a joke. It's only valid at a few places, and it is NOT valid at the one restaurant on this property. When I asked them about it at that restaurant, the server looked at me like I was nuts and said he'd never heard of it. (Really? I'm the ONLY person who has ever asked about this? Ok then.) Anyway, his attitude put me off the restaurant entirely, and we never went back there.

The patio was south facing and had full sun pretty much all day. There was no patio umbrella or anything to provide shade. There were, however, usually bird droppings on the plastic chairs or the table. Luckily there's a fair amount of rain in the spring which helped clean them up a bit.

The kitchen knives were cheap quality and really dull, which made cutting open a pineapple a lot harder than it should have been. We didn't do any extravagant cooking, and all of the cooking utensils we needed were available. However, if you are accustomed to higher quality cookware at home... well, most of the cookware was more of the economy-level of quality.

5 Thank LoveTheSunNotSnow
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Location was good - quality of room was not. There was a musty gross smell upon entering the unit. Very dated, shag carpet, formica counter tops, white appliances. We were constantly bombarded with gnats and mosquitos even with the screen closed (to the lanai with plastic furniture). Oh - and the roaches!! Upon arrival I asked why we did not receive a second floor unit with two double beds instead a king as I had requested shortly after booking the trip. I was told that there were only a few of these and there were none available - sure wasn't told that when I called. The second floor lanais were private - the first floor lanais were not - you could see and hear the people in the room next to you because there was no wall between each lanai. I've never had to pay a resort fee for parking before - although the parking was convenient. If you wanted any shade on the beach you had to pay for it - otherwise you had to sit up on the grass not in the sand. Won't go back there.

Room Tip: Make sure they guarantee your request for sleeping accomodations and 1st or 2nd floor
1 Thank 74014
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Aloha -
Thank you for taking your personal time to give us some feedback about your experience here. We take all comments as an opportunity to understand what our guests like and don't like. We sincerely want to find ways to improve our product and our delivery.
We obviously failed to meet some of your expectations and for that I want to apologize.

I especially appreciate your balanced approach to your review. Thank you for the many kind words you had for our property and our staff. I am sorry we weren't able to provide the same level of satifaction with the items that proved challenging during your stay. I hope you will give us another try if you come back to Maui. I would be happy to assist you with your arrangements myself.

Mahalo
Pat Flinn
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2014

First the good. The location, the beach, the hot tub. The property is centrally located for a good beach walk in either direction, or a short drive to Lahaina or Kapalua. Ka’anapali Beach is amazing, the greatest – no rocks in front the MKV resort (does have a strong undertow) but a short walk away are reefs that provide all the snorkeling adventure one needs. The hot tub (one of 2 on the property) is therapeutic after a long walk, with the jets hitting all the right places.

Unfortunately, the quality of the stay is so dependent on the room you get. There is no one common standard. Our room was so very dated, with a feeble attempt of flat screen TV and stainless steel fridge. Yet still had shag carpet and plastic patio furniture. And most sadly, the oldest, most softest and uncomfortable king size bed in existence!

After the first night, after which I could only crawl out of bed, I asked the clerk at the desk to be moved to another room. He offered one alternative which had a similar bed, and then offered a plywood board under the bed. I accepted and waited in the lobby while he had Maint check for a board. After half an hour wait, I told him I couldn’t spend my vacation in the lobby – he offered to follow up and leave me a message – either on the board or a future room switch. I never heard from him again! And I slept on the floor for the following 6 nights! For only US$250 per night!

The hot tub became a necessity every evening just to recuperate and remain mobile – we became very close friends. The exercise room would’ve offered a nice stretch – if it wasn’t hidden in an out building with the laundry room way in the back of the parking lot – almost as an afterthought with no view.

I read mixed reviews before we chose this property for our stay, and many recommended asking for an updated room upon arrival – forget it, it falls on deaf ears. Aston says they are only there to manage and they have no control over the standard, even though it’s clear that the quality of the rooms varies widely. Aston claims they will “find that the room that fits with your preferences”, but their people are not very good with customer service in following through. It’s surprising how a sore back can limit one’s activities – hurts to walk for long, or when the wave crashes into your back. Ouch.

What’s the $15 per night resort fee for – certainly not for any resort activities (none)? Certainly not for lounge chairs ($10 per day) on the beach, or snorkel equipt ($10 per hour) or paddle boards ($30 per hour) or kayaks ($30 per hour). Being nickeled and dimed.

Unit 159 in the Coconut Building clearly shouldn’t be in the rental pool, and needs to be completely refurbished. Room fixtures are from the 70's, shag carpet, no bathroom ventilation.
No concessions were offered - no spa massage, no meals, no Mai Tai.

For my money and my health, I won’t be back to MKV.

Room Tip: Stay away from room #159 in the Coconut Bldg - until someone replaces the mattress and the flooring.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helm B
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Love this low key property just steps away from the beach. We had a newer remodel unit. We loved having are own kitchen and BBQs on the property are a bonus! The was plenty of parking and wifi. The pools were never overly crowded. Great sunsets on the beach! Food at Castaways was ok. You can snorkeling out front of the hotel but, other great spots are a short drive away.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank rungirl74
Hawaii
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Not bad for a condo-tel. Prices are reasonable. Great heated pool for the kids (and adults). The only restaurant on the grounds looks, um, unappetizing. My wife wouldn't even try it. Lot's of good (pricey) places to eat nearby and in Lahaina. The room and facilities look like, well, home. Not a glitzy hotel. No lanai in the cheaper rooms. Small spots of paint peeling here and there, bed was "bouncy", rattan furniture a bit used. Pluses are the kitchen facilities (this is a condo), which, if you plan ahead, let you have a few meals at non-hotel prices. Safeway is nearby. No real complaints, though. I can fix a fallen shower curtain rod myself. And I think I would get an ocean view next time.

2 Thank Frank J
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here, and really enjoyed my stay. I must say that one of my highlights was my massage day. My husband got a golf day in exchange for me treating myself to a massage. This was the best massage I have ever received. Wainani has definitely done her homework and knows the body and how it works and what it needs. I wanted to bring her home with me. Please treat yourself and visit this girl!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family