“pleasant option in kanapali”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We booked a one bedroom through vacation international. Since it was just my husband and myself, we could have done a studio. The unit was very nice, second floor with a good view. The living room as a murphy bed which was perfect for us so we could enjoy the breeze from the lanai. Bedroom was fine but I agree with the others the high slatted windows don't provide much air. Unit was clean and well kept.

The grounds were well kept and the pools were sparkling. Really nice BBQ around the pools. Close to grocery shopping at the Times Market and a health food store. Papakea is on a point and does not have a sandy beach but the views are great- a little windy. You can walk to the sandy beach-just walk along the seawall through the neighboring properties and you will come to a long sandy beach in about 5-7 minutes. I walked from Papakea to black rock along he beach every morning. Good idea about the shuttle to whalers village-really expensive to park there.
The staff is very nice and very helpful. This is not a hotel with daily maid service. I would definately stay there again, much prefer it to the high rise properties.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank s l
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I recently visited Lahaina, Maui, HI. Tonae Martin recommended that I check into the Aston at Papakea Resort.
Tonae assured me that I would have the most pleasant experience staying in this resort. He was right. The grounds were colorful and well kept. Ponds were filled with lily pads, fish and colorful flowers. Games on the grounds including golf and shuffle board and much more I'm sure; the pools were great and more than one beach at my disposal.
Not only did I have an ocean front view, it was clean, cozy and fully equipped to cook, watch TV, play games or just open the patio door and read a book while listening to the waves and or relax, have dinner and watch the sun set. There is a nearby market and a Bad _ _ _ Coffee Shop for the coffee drinkers as well.
They have so much to offer. Be sure and go to the breakfast orientation (very informative) and read all of the brochures and room information given to you after check in. You can rent movies and games, for free, right on site.
Tonae, I appreciate the knowledge of your neighboring resorts. I highly recommend the Aston at Papakea Resort.
Thanks again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank leahfaye1
Reviewed 24 May 2012

50+ locals decended on the pool after renting the lani. They started a BBQ on fire. 12 unattended kids in the jacuzzi. Looked like gangsters all over drinking beer, bottles all over. 15 more kids throwing toys and splashing in the pool. They were not even staying there at the place. Called the desk they did nothing. I'll stick to Mexico from now on.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank crimepays1229
Daveatpapakea, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Aloha,

I read this review with some question as the 2 reviews above it say our security is way to strict and we do not allow any rucus. The Security which is on property at all times and gets by each pool often every hour would never have left this happen. Read the bulk of the reviews and see if you don't have some question about what this review claims.

Mahalo,
Dave Schneider
Aston at the Papakea Resort

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My mom and I arrived in Maui late at night and were very pleased to walk into a lovely 1-bedroom suite at Papakea. It had a homey feel, with comfy furniture, a very well equipped full kitchen, and pretty paintings/ photos decorating the walls. In the morning we were even more pleased to find out there was a gorgeous lily pond and garden right by our outdoor patio. We took a walk around the gardens, and were surprised yet again with a mini golf area, cute little swimming pool, and private area facing kaanapali beach! This area of the beach had particularly light colored sand, making the water a lovely turquoise Caribbean-like colour. I had not read into Papakea all that much, and was not aware that we had direct access to the beach, so this was an added bonus. I was very happy with this condo because it had everything I needed and much more.

Room Tip: Request a ground-level quite facing the gardens!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jory W
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I am a VI Timeshare owner and this is my second time to Papakea. We had a 1bedroom 1bathroom ground floor unit. Our unit was clean. Kitchen well stocked. No bugs to be found. Washer and dryer in unit. Lots of towels.
You take out your own gargabe when you leave and you run your own dirty dishes in the dish washer before you leave. They do not clean your room until the 9th day and all of this standard policy. I actually prefer it that way.
They have 2 pools and 2 hot tubs. All of which are heated to a different temperature and I believe your check in material states that.
They do have a lawn with chairs to sun bath in. The beach is not a beach. There is a seawall that drops down and then there is a beach sometimes in the morning that can we walked on, but as the afternoon goes on and the tide comes in, you can't walk on it. It is a very rocky beach. There are pleanty of nearby beaches that you can drive to if you need/want a real beach. I would even venture to say that there are a few beaches within walking distance depending on how much stuff you are carrying.
You can walk to the grocery store accross the street and there is an ABC store you can walk to also.
In the shopping complex with the grocery store is a hair salon, nail salon, snorkel rental place and various resturants (mexican, hawaiian, pizza, cafe). The Cafe in the complex is open the earliest for breakfast and it's actually pretty good. They have an early bird special that is $4.99.
You are also withing walking distance of the Farmers Market.
You will have to drive to get to Whalers Village and you will most certainly have to drive to get to Front Street in downtown Lahaina.
There is no "night life" around Papakea, you will have to go to Lahaina for that.
I did see people of all ages in this resort. We are in our early 30's and enjoy this place. You have an amazing view of the sunset from the grass.
Grounds and pools are well kept. Never had any issues with the staff or anybody staying there.
There are several BBQ's around the pool area for your use.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LW88
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I wasnt sure what to expect after some calls made prior to my trip being somewhat "lacking in service". When we arrived, it was late and we were exhausted and were met by Katey, who should be able to write a "how-to" guide for customer service.
Katey was professional, patient and just downright amazing. She was working the desk with Shay who appeared to be learning the ropes, but was doing an excellent job as well.
I would return to Papakea any time JUST because of the service we received from Katey & Shay. We stayed in unit B-101 and loved it!
I know that the manager reads these reviews and I hope he knows what a treasure Katey is!

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Seattlegrrl1
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a week at the Papakea. For a younger couple the resort wasn't really that great for social life. Not just at the resort but anywhere near us. LAHAINA front street is where its at. The room we stayed in was dated but they do have renovated rooms. The resort is gorgeous though. Basically every room has an ocean view. The grounds are very well kept.

• Stayed: May 2012