“Not the greatest experience”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Calgary
“Not the greatest experience”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Let's start by noting what IS okay with Papakea! The views are terrific, we needed to upgrade to a different room as ours had some "plumbing" issues, so the new room faced the ocean. The grounds are well maintained and the putting greens are lovely (even though you need to pay $$ for the putter and ball which is puzzling as they charge you a daily fee for recreation). We enjoyed the shuffle board game as well.. There is a supermarket and coffee shop across the street that you can go to as there is no, and I mean no, restaurant or eating facility at the resort!!

As noted by others recently, the resort is outdated and badly in need of updating! The first room we had, had issues with the plumbing so we went to the customer sevice office and they upgraded us for $20/day to a 1 bedroom which apparently was a deal! Not sure about most people's experience, but usually when there is an issue, the move to another room is not a chargeable fee, even if it's an upgrade!!!

As for a beach, there isn't one! A beach to me is a place that you can take a towel, sunscreen, chair, etc., walk out from YOUR resort and enjoy. There is however a beach that you can use that isn't far away, but it is not at the Papakea!!

We spent the majority of our time at the pool (remember, there is no beach), we do not have small children, and there were many occasions when small kids were playing and not "bothering" anyone, when they were approached by staff that they could not continue whatever they were doing. I didn't see anything happen that you don't see at any pool around the world!!!!

WIFI, you needed to be facing a particular way in your room for this to work, if you turned sideways, it just didn't work.. Very frustrating.

As for the "no noise" after 10:00, absolutely ridiculous, so if you are going to bed at 9:00, and DONT want a beautiful room, resort, restaurant, beach, free putting, excellent running toilets, and FUN, then this is the place for you.

We will definitely NOT be staying at any ASTON resort anywhere, ever.

VERY DISAPPOINTED GUEST!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Annette C
Daveatpapakea, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Aloha,

I read and respond to negative reviews so I know what the general traveling public feels and thinks so we can manage more affectively. This review mentions as noted in other reviews this property is outdated but actually most reviews are the other view that it is a beautiful property with many amenities. There are 2 pools one heated and one not, 2 hot tubs, 2 putting greens, 2 shuffle board courts, tennis courts and 12 brand new BBQ's. The property is well maintained and is the same age basically as all west Maui resorts.
The beach on west Maui starts at Papakea and goes all the way to black rock about 3 to 4 miles. We get a few issues with WIFI but have upgraded it recently and have another upgrade in process. The fact that we ask all guests to respect other guests after 10:00PM is the same rule as all resorts in the area. I know most all of the General Managers in west Maui and they all have quite hours after 10:00pm for the enjoyment of all guests. Just because one large group wants to be able to party late into the night and disturb others does not make Papakea a one of a kind resort with rules no resort will allow that.

Aston at the Papakea Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
calgary
Reviewed 11 June 2012

First of all the WIFI in my room was terrible, i rate it 3 out of 10. Other rooms it worked perfect. The biggest problem with this hotel is that security sucks the fun right of the place. It all started on the very first day when this guy tells me not to jump in the pool. Its a pool, its made to have fun in. Then two ten year old kids were throwing a little tiny football in the pool and the guy tells two little girls that they cant do that. We were a wedding party of 40 and we all paid a lot of money to come to this place and the rules here really sucked the fun out of the hotel. Im very surprised that we were allowed to drink beer in the pool area or even at the hotel at all.

Now on to the after 1000pm activities. We didn’t come to Maui to go to bed at 1000pm. Multiple times security tells us to keep in down which is understandable but when they tell our parents (who are older then security) to go to their separate rooms and go to bed or he is going to call the cops is just ridiculous. First of all he has no right to tell anybody to go to bed. This guy with his fake cop badge on his belt and leather gloves needs to lay off on the power trip and remember where he is. Threatening to call the cops on hotel guests does not help the situation.

Now for the day security. Three times the same man came to tell me to clean up my deck area. The garbage I understand but to tell me I cant have my towels drying out there is the most ridiculous rule I have ever heard of. Then to tell me that I cant have my stroller out there because it doesn’t match the furniture pissed me right off. One day he woke me up out of bed to do it. Finally on the third time I had a little talk with him and turns out he thinks the rule is stupid as well but the man is just doing his job. I think it is time to re think some of these rules. I now no why this hotel is the cheapest place in the area. They even threaten to tow my car twice because I forgot to put the pass in my window even though they have your license plate on file. Once again treating us like children. These are all things I do not want to have to worry about when I am on vacation.

Lastly the cleaners. All they do is change your bed sheets and towels. Job well done. Don't even touch the garbage or the dishes. Even ran out of garbage bags because they don’t even check it.

Also not a huge deal but some rooms are renovated with granite and new cabinets others have never been touched. A/C is useless because it doesn’t go into the bedroom which is where you need it most.

If you are going to Maui as a couple this place could work. If you are going as a group then stay somewhere else.

Pros: Very nice putting greens but you have to rent balls and putters by the hour. Very nice BBQ set up. Great location for the activities we had planned. Very handy that front desk is open from 6am-11pm I believe, also the only helpful and friendly employees at the resort.

3 Thank jon l
Aloha,

This is about the fifth review from the same wedding party and I want you all to know we have about 6 wedding parties a month and never seem to have a problem. Since this group decided to write in bulk I will mention once again. The rules at papakea are the same as every resort on Maui security will not allow any one to bother other guests. Throwing footballs in a resort pool is not allowed anywhere. Just be the guest that gets hit in the back of the head with one and you quickly realize why. Just like no jumpimg in onto boogy boards that is very dangerous as well as bothersome.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Well, I can't lie… I would never stay here again. I freely admit that I’m a hotel snob and pretty spoiled so take my comments as you wish.

There were 40 of us staying at the hotel for a wedding, and between us we had about 12 units. The units are very old, but they are renovating structural pieces slowly – when we were there (May 19-26, 2012) they were replacing balcony railings in two of the buildings. Luckily, we didn't stay on that side – it’s kind of an eyesore right now with walkways closed and tarps covering the units. They do mention the renovations on their website, so you know to expect it.

The resort is kind of split into 2 sections. Each section has about 4 buildings that surround a pool, putting green, bbq's, and a pond - the landscaping is very pretty and well maintained. The buildings overlook this garden area and almost every room has an ocean view (a plus). My family was lucky enough to get a renovated unit (C-406 – 2BR, 2Bath, plus a loft) and it was very nice. I believe the units are all individually owned so no two units have the same items in them (especially in the kitchens - some have tons of supplies, others just a few). Out of the 12 units our group had, I think 3 of them had some kind of renovation done to them. NOTE: The photos on the Aston Papakea website are of renovated rooms and not a true reflection of what most of the units look like.

We arrived late at night (about 11:00 pm) to find the registration building closed. I think it closes around 10:00 PM, but I’m not positive. We pulled up in our rental car and were approached by a security guard who gave us a temporary room key, and then pointed us in the direction of our room. I was a little skeptical after the “check-in” process, but then I’ve already told you I’m a hotel snob! They ask you to come back to the registration building the next morning before 11:00 AM and complete the check-in process. The registration building opens at 6:00 AM and my husband went down about 6:20 AM to finish our check-in. The door was open and the clerk was behind the counter but she told my husband that she wasn’t ready for him and to come back later. Not very good customer service in my opinion.

A number of the reviewers mention the housekeeping service. We had our beds made / towels removed only ONCE during the entire week. In fact, I just assumed they didn’t have daily housekeeping service. The manager writes that if there is something on the bed, housekeeping is not allowed to make the bed? That sounds crazy to me. I have never experienced that at another resort/hotel. And if that is their policy, they should really let you know that when you check in.

And now, on to the rules, and they have a TON of them. The pool doesn't open until 9:00 AM and it's quiet time between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM. We got in trouble for sitting out on our lanai's talking after 10:00 PM. In fairness, there were about 10 of us (all over the age of 50), but we were doing nothing other than talking and definitely NOT disturbing other guests. The security guard came up to us and said, and I quote, "you need to be quiet or you may be fined or evicted" and then walked away. No “hello”, “please”, “thank you”, nothing! Then, he came back about 10 minutes later and told everyone "go to your rooms or we will evict you". Exact words! How disappointing.

In the pool area, my daughter (10) and her cousin got in trouble too many times to count, and they are not rowdy or disruptive girls by any stretch. You can't jump in the pool, yet it's 8 feet deep. You can't play games in the pool - no Marco Polo, and they even got in trouble for playing catch with a water ball in the pool! It was very frustrating as the kids were just trying to enjoy the pool. On one occasion security reprimanded the girls and they were the ONLY people in the pool, so the excuse that it was disruptive to other guests just doesn’t work here! Believe me, I am all for safety and pool rules, but these rules are absolutely ludicrous!

There is no beach that you can walk or play on. It's actually a sea wall and you can't swim there either. If you walk down the grass to the next resort, they have a beach and you can use that. This didn’t really affect us as we spent most of our time by the pool. There is no restaurant, or anything food/drink related onsite either, although the next resort has a restaurant that you can use. Again, not a big deal for us, but might be for some.

There were some positives to our stay at Aston Papakea, but unfortunately all the security issues totally soured our stay.

4 Thank RinaB123
Aloha,

I have responded to many from this group and they all had the same issues. I will comment that as in all resorts housekeepers will not touch personal belongings on the bed. It is a liability issue that any major company will not allow. If you leave your towels on the floor they will be replaced and if you hang them up they will not. There is a sign in the bathroom stating this as there is in all hotels as an energy saving issue.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The Papakea Resort is a beautiful spot, but most of the rooms do need upgrading. We were with a large group and got to see quite a few of the rooms and most of our group were disappointed with their rooms.

There was dishwasher detergent provided, but there was no dishwashing liquid if you wanted to hand wash a few items or dish towels to dry them.

I've read the Papkea managements response regarding "security" at the resort and I think they'd be wise to pay more attention to what their guests are saying. While the front desk staff were very courteous, their security staff were very rude and poorly trained. Their approach was terrible.

At precisely 10:00 pm security informed us ( and we're in our 50's!) that we will be evicted or fined if we continue to make noise after 10:00 PM! If that's not going to get someones back up I'm not sure what will! How about saying " I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, I know everyone wants to be outside enjoying our beautiful weather, but I'm afraid I have to ask you to quieten down or move inside after 10:00 pm so as not to disturb other guests."

It was the same thing at the pool. There was noone in the pool except for a few kids and they weren't permitted to jump in the pool. I'm not talking about doing a cannon ball into the water, I'm talking about jumping into the water instead of taking the stairs in. The security were on them every few minutes.

I have stayed at numerous resorts in many different countries over the years and I don't enjoy a noisy, party atmosphere or kids yelling and screaming and splashing in the pool. However I do think that the Papakea resort needs to better train their security staff to have a friendlier approach and to lighten up a bit. After all, it is supposed to be an enjoyable experience for everyone, right?

I could tolerate the outdated decor of the rooms, but I wouldn't stay there again because of how strict and rude their security was.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kathy Z
Reviewed 10 June 2012

It was our first time in Hawaii and had a great time we will definitely be returning. We were in Maui for a Wedding and there were around 40 family and friends staying at Papakea, the Resort needs a lot of upgrading and the majority of the staff were courteous and and helpful. We found the Security Staff were way over board with rules.Kids playing in the pool couldn't do anything without being told to stop it ;it got a little tiring after a while .After all isn't that what kids do in a pool? Play. Our last night there were 8 of us were sitting on our deck when Security came running up at 1 minute after 10 and told us to be quiet in a rude manner . We apologized and said we'd talk quieter ; 20 minutes later he returned and told all of us to go back to our rooms and threatened to evict or Fine everyone. All of us are in our 50s . It ended our vacation on a sour note. We complained at the front desk the next morning and she was very apologetic , but the experience with security left us with regrets that we stayed there. We won't be staying there again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Murray C
Aloha,

I will just ask that you read the other 5 responses to this group, I ask that you take in all reviews and please when you are here and if you are not happy please ask for me at the front desk and I will personally address your issue.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My family and I stayed at Aston at Papkea Resort over the Memorial Day holiday. I have to say it was a very beautiful place. We originally booked a 2 bedroom but was upgraded to a 3 br 3 bath! What a great surprise that was. The view was awesome and the kids, 21 and 16, were thrilled to have their own room and bath. The only thing preventing me from giving this a 5 is that the beds were way too hard...of course, others may enjoy a firm mattress so that's just my opinion. Central AC would have been nice too. The trade winds kept the rooms cool but having to have the windows open also let in the noise from the elevator and hallway traffic into the back room which kept my daughter up at night but then again she's a light sleeper so others may sleep right through it.

3 Thank fsuopoly
Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Lahaina itself is a cute town. However, I would not stay the Aston Papakea Resort again. The rooms were clean, but none were that nice. Being in a large group, I got to see many different rooms. I found the resort to be very outdated. Some rooms have been upgraded, but I still wasn't wowed by any of them. The resort also has no decent amenities. The putting area is decent, but the pool is nothing special and there is no restaurant or fitness centre.
The Service was limited. All you will get is your bed made and fresh towels. If you would like clean beach towels, it can only be done at a certain time. If you are hoping for drinks by the pool or on the beach, you won't get that. And bringing in the beach, it is pretty much non-existent. And the little beach the does lie on part of the resort, is nothing special.
Then there are the numerous rules this resort has implemented. Quiet time is at 10, and they expect you in your rooms by then and security is quick to say something about it. Kids will have a hard time playing in the pool as the security guards will say something if you are even throwing a small ball around. The Aston Papakea does not have a friendly environment.
Overall, I would say this resort is outdated. If you can, stay in Wailea. The weather is warmer and there is not as much wind. If you want to stay in Lahaina, I would suggest staying on a resort on Kaanapali. However, if you are not a beach person, don't have children, and like a quiet, average place with minimal amenities, The Aston Papakea may be right for you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ashley S
Daveatpapakea, General Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Aloha,

I admit Papakea is a quite low key property that is not the Ritz and about a third the price of Wailea condos or more. The fact that the reviewer states there is less wind on the south side of Maui is just plain wrong. The beach at Papakea is small but goes from Papakea all the way to black rock for miles of beach walking.

We do have daily housekeeping service and we make the beds, empty the trash if needed and replace towels that are on the floor. Like all hotels and condo resorts we ask that if you want your towels replenished then leave them on the floor.

The security issues are simple ones and common through out all Maui Resorts. We get many compliments on our security staff as their main job is make Papakea as pleasant as can be for ALL guests. No resort will allow guests to be loud and bothersome to other guests. I admit this is not your spring break destination if you are expecting Padre Island, Cancun or Bourbon Street in New Orleans. We simply ask everyone to respect the other guests from 10:00PM to 8:00am as does every resort on Maui. You can be out and about but just not waking other guests up and causing trouble.

I believe that if you read the bulk of the reviews you will see that almost all guests have a very positive experience at Papakea.

Aston at the Papakea