Aston at Papakea Resort
US$731
US$479
US$466
  • Beachfront
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$326
US$525
US$1,516
US$1,461
TripAdvisor
1,140 results
All reviewsmaui dreams come trueputting greengrocery storesea wallocean frontliving roomshuffle boardsandy beachfarmers marketbeautiful groundstennis courtspools and hot tubsc unitground floorwasher and dryerthrough vrbofull kitchen
Reviewed 23 January 2014

When first I arrived in my room here, I was quite taken aback: the resort was barely signposted on the dark road, my studio room had a fold-up bed and, very quickly, I found that the alarm-radio, the lamp, the TV, the washing-machine and the phone didn't work very reliably.

But the hotel staff attended to all these problems quickly and efficiently, and very soon I came to think that this really was a wonderful find: it has few frills and no pretensions, but the quiet oceanfront setting, the kitchen and washing machines in the room itself, the friendly staff and the overall air of serenity and beauty put it far above the overblown resorts all around it.

Don't come here if you're in search of fanciness and elegance; but if you want a down-home place that feels like home, is comfy and warm and wonderfully located--my room was closer to the surf, and had a more gorgeous view, than I could imagine in any luxury resort--this place is hard to beat.

You can enjoy the facilities of the fancier sister hotel next door, there are shops across the street, the view is unbeatable and you can walk along the beach here for an hour or more.

My wife and I got so used to our cozy room here we never wanted to leave.

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms, though they cost a lot more, are really wonderful. The combination of a green lawn, palm trees and nothing but the blue beyond, works like an instant drug to transport one.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spriyer
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I traveled to Maui with my son and his family. The condo at Papakea allowed us to feel right at home with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and laundry facilities. This was the first trip to Hawaii for my 11-year old grandson and my 3-year old granddaughter. Even though we were right on the ocean, the pool was perfect for the grandchildren. Having access to grills was perfect. We visited a local fresh fish market and grilled mahi-mahi one evening. Like I said, I didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here for a week in unit E403 after finding it on VRBO and booking it via Paradise Living Properties. At first I was a bit nervous since there were few reviews and little information on PLP, but everything turned out fantastic. E403 is a 3/3 unit on the 4th floor with an upstairs loft. The view was simply breathtaking. The unit itself had decent upgrades throughout and most everything was in working order. The resort is located at the very north end of Kaanapali Beach and while there is no beach directly in front, it's a quick walk next door to Aston Kaanapali Shores (which allows full access of amenities being a sister property). There is a convenient shopping center across the street with a Snorkel Bobs, L&L, pizza, grocery store, ect. The grounds are beautifully maintained full of mature trees and vegetation... Something you just won't find at newer condos such as Honua Kai. Customer service is minimal being a condo complex without a restaurant or bar on site (although they do serve complimentary Mai Tai's and snacks Thursdays at 4pm at the south pool). Interactions though with maintenance, security, and front desk were alright. Speaking of front desk, the Expedia girls located in the lobby are FANTASTIC. Their knowledge is endless. We booked Kapalua Zipline through them simply based off their recommendation. The BBQ's surrounding the pools were a big hit and used by many. They have just enough so we were never waiting. As for the cons: It appears only the south pool is heated which was a bit inconvenient being next to the north pool in January. The south spa broke mid trip leading to a packed north spa. The elevator in building E was broken for 2.5 days so we had to use building F which connected thankfully. Parking, while plenty, the spaces are extremely tight. I wouldn't be surprised if door dings are common here. All in all we had a fantastic stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again!

Room Tip: Units are individually owned. Some are upgraded some are not.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jetsgopro
Reviewed 17 January 2014

First trip to Maui and looking forward to going again and will likely book with Misty again. She emailed pictures of the actual condo we would be staying in which made our decision easy. The condo was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy but decent. The view and the grounds were amazing. Watched the sunset with a glass of wine every night. Beautiful. The location is walking distance to a few stores and eateries. We used the gas grills every night for dinner, they were always clean and available. We had a rental car to explore much of the island and drove to snorkel and paddle board but honestly would have been fine without one. Groceries, fish market, restaurants, gear rentals, convenient store, bus line etc...all in walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela O
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We spent almost 2 weeks at Papakea over Christmas in unit E109. The kitchen had been redone and was very nice . We loved Abington coffee on our lanai every morning especially when there were beautiful rainbows. We really enjoyed our stay, the grounds are beautiful and the resort is very quiet which we were very pleased about. It was so nice to come back to a quiet place after seeing how crazy busy the hotels were along kaanapali hotel zone. We were on the main floor which was perfect with kids, we were right across from the golf green and pool. We never had a problem finding a place to sit by the ocean nor by the pool. There is a grocery store very close by as well as an ABC store. There is also a farmer's market which you can walk to 3 times a week. The resort is about a 5 min drive to Whaler's village and kaanapali Beach and about 10 mins to Lahaina. The only down side is that although the resort is ocean front , it is NOT beach front so you have to walk down a bit to swim in the ocean. The bed was also very hard but not a deal breaker. All in all I would recommend Papkea especially if you have kids, great pool area!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family