“Renovated Condo was nice, but the resort ...not for us.”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Newport Beach, California
“Renovated Condo was nice, but the resort ...not for us.”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We ended up staying here for one night after staying at the Hyatt Regency for 6 days because there was a great deal. But after staying at the Hyatt, we just got a bit too spoiled. The pool(s) weren't as nice as there was barely any shade and it was freezing! No beach and had to walk about 5 minutes to the next resort for a decent beach. It's far away from the shops, our teenage girls had to be dropped off at Whaler's Village/Kaanapali Beach to get away from the retirement home feeling . However, the condo was nice and upgraded. There was cigarette smell lurking in the kitchen (so weird). Gardens and ponds were nice. Location and the environment just wasn't for us personally.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JQuest81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at this property feb 8 to 15 and absolutely enjoyed this property and the location is excellent. We stayed in property H unit 203 which was a very nice 2 bed2 bath. Lots of room and close to pools and BBQ. There is a grocery store across the street and a great bar/ restaurant called java jazz as well about 2 blocks away. I snorkelled right in front of the property and that was perfect. Nice reef and tons of different fish.

Room Tip: Try to stay closer to Beach to limit road noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank manzyLV
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I recently spent a week in the K building at the Aston Papakea. Overall the experience was pleasant. The room was nice and spacey for the price, complete with a downstairs and an upstairs with a second bathroom and two twin beds. The unit had a balcony overlooking the central courtyard, pool complex and the ocean (with a great view of Molokai).

My main issue with the place was the wifi. Me and my partner were unable to get a signal after first checking in despite the fact that more than a dozen adjacent unit routers were visible and unlocked (we tried them, none seemed to work). I called the front desk and she suggested I simply "try another room", which I already had. Eventually we were able to pick up another signal, and at times the router for our room appeared, but they were all weak and unreliable. Being a man of the 21st century, internet is very important to me. But it could have been worse.

The pool and oceanfront had great views, but there isn't much of a beach at all in front of the hotel, just a small seawall.

So if you're looking to pay a little less and stay by the ocean in Lahaina, I would recommend the Aston Papakea. If you're looking for a luxury experience and beachfront property, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Give the wifi signal in your unit a few minutes to register. Ours didn't for more than 20 minute...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew G
Nara, Japan
Reviewed 23 January 2014

When first I arrived in my room here, I was quite taken aback: the resort was barely signposted on the dark road, my studio room had a fold-up bed and, very quickly, I found that the alarm-radio, the lamp, the TV, the washing-machine and the phone didn't work very reliably.

But the hotel staff attended to all these problems quickly and efficiently, and very soon I came to think that this really was a wonderful find: it has few frills and no pretensions, but the quiet oceanfront setting, the kitchen and washing machines in the room itself, the friendly staff and the overall air of serenity and beauty put it far above the overblown resorts all around it.

Don't come here if you're in search of fanciness and elegance; but if you want a down-home place that feels like home, is comfy and warm and wonderfully located--my room was closer to the surf, and had a more gorgeous view, than I could imagine in any luxury resort--this place is hard to beat.

You can enjoy the facilities of the fancier sister hotel next door, there are shops across the street, the view is unbeatable and you can walk along the beach here for an hour or more.

My wife and I got so used to our cozy room here we never wanted to leave.

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms, though they cost a lot more, are really wonderful. The combination of a green...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spriyer
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I traveled to Maui with my son and his family. The condo at Papakea allowed us to feel right at home with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and laundry facilities. This was the first trip to Hawaii for my 11-year old grandson and my 3-year old granddaughter. Even though we were right on the ocean, the pool was perfect for the grandchildren. Having access to grills was perfect. We visited a local fresh fish market and grilled mahi-mahi one evening. Like I said, I didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here for a week in unit E403 after finding it on VRBO and booking it via Paradise Living Properties. At first I was a bit nervous since there were few reviews and little information on PLP, but everything turned out fantastic. E403 is a 3/3 unit on the 4th floor with an upstairs loft. The view was simply breathtaking. The unit itself had decent upgrades throughout and most everything was in working order. The resort is located at the very north end of Kaanapali Beach and while there is no beach directly in front, it's a quick walk next door to Aston Kaanapali Shores (which allows full access of amenities being a sister property). There is a convenient shopping center across the street with a Snorkel Bobs, L&L, pizza, grocery store, ect. The grounds are beautifully maintained full of mature trees and vegetation... Something you just won't find at newer condos such as Honua Kai. Customer service is minimal being a condo complex without a restaurant or bar on site (although they do serve complimentary Mai Tai's and snacks Thursdays at 4pm at the south pool). Interactions though with maintenance, security, and front desk were alright. Speaking of front desk, the Expedia girls located in the lobby are FANTASTIC. Their knowledge is endless. We booked Kapalua Zipline through them simply based off their recommendation. The BBQ's surrounding the pools were a big hit and used by many. They have just enough so we were never waiting. As for the cons: It appears only the south pool is heated which was a bit inconvenient being next to the north pool in January. The south spa broke mid trip leading to a packed north spa. The elevator in building E was broken for 2.5 days so we had to use building F which connected thankfully. Parking, while plenty, the spaces are extremely tight. I wouldn't be surprised if door dings are common here. All in all we had a fantastic stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again!

Room Tip: Units are individually owned. Some are upgraded some are not.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jetsgopro
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 17 January 2014

First trip to Maui and looking forward to going again and will likely book with Misty again. She emailed pictures of the actual condo we would be staying in which made our decision easy. The condo was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy but decent. The view and the grounds were amazing. Watched the sunset with a glass of wine every night. Beautiful. The location is walking distance to a few stores and eateries. We used the gas grills every night for dinner, they were always clean and available. We had a rental car to explore much of the island and drove to snorkel and paddle board but honestly would have been fine without one. Groceries, fish market, restaurants, gear rentals, convenient store, bus line etc...all in walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple