“Big Mistake - Noise made it impossible to sleep”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 1 June 2009

First three nights at Papakea were relatively quiet. However on the 4 and 5th nights it was so noisy we were unable to sleep. Kids running between rooms and across corridors, doors slamming, people yelling, tv noise, etc made it impossible to not only not enjoy outside lani we could hear all this from inside unit with air conditioner on.Complaints about noise to front desk and security were basically ignored. Too bad, this was our second visit to Papakea and will be our last.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davekathy
DaveSKihei_HI, General Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

I manage the Aston at the Papakea Resort and wish I had heard of the noise problems. I write here to let guests know to contact me with any problems. The Papakea is a very popular resort so some times parties get a little carried away. Our full time security Staff is well trained to deal with this on that rare occasion. So when you stay at the Aston at the Papakea Resort and you have an issue please let me know.

Dave Schneider

There are newer reviews for Aston at Papakea Resort

Reviewed 30 May 2009

Traveling with two college boys I was a bit worried they would not have enough to do. I was wrong. We booked through Maui Dreams Come True and it was a wonderful experience. Randy was right. We loved our condo, the location was perfect and I never grew tired of the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. Never before have we stayed so close to the water. The sunsets were spectacular and after the first couple days we complained that our food was not cold enough in the refrigerator, you were out the same day with a repairman. A new refrigerator next day and microwave as the door would stick. We were very impressed with how fast Maui Dreams came through for us. Even with follow up calls. We were impressed with the whole week actually and definitely will be back. I do not want to post the unit number because then it will be more difficult to book in the future. Thanks Randy, and I finally drank your Corona!

Reviewed 27 May 2009

Aston at Papakea doesn't really care about how you feel about the conditions of their "resort" or how you are treated while you are there. I was originally given a very nice room, but not the room that I paid for. I paid for beach front. Not a break your neck view of the ocean from hanging out of the balcony. I called and was sent to a voicemail of the registration desk and waited for over an hour and a half and got no reply. I went back into the front desk and was told that was the the way it was and I started complaining in front of others that were checking in. They finally switched the room to the one that I originally booked only to get a great view with a totally torn down room. I took pictures of the room #A104 and they can be seen at http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/tractorpics/ This room is a crack house and a disgusting mess. We can start with peeling paint and towel racks falling off the walls. Roaches outside around the lanai, noisy maintainance workers at 7 am. They just dont care about your stay. Only how to get your money. Its sad too. That could be a nice place. I will go to another resort in the future.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

I did some research prior to responding to this review. Your reservation from Expedia was for a Partial Ocean View, not Ocean Front as stated. The property has never had a complaint such as this one just read the other reviews. You were actually upgraded at no extra charge because of the scene you made. Everyone needs to know the difference between Garden View, Partial Ocean View, Ocean View and Ocean Front. I ask all to read the other reviews of our property they speak for us.

Dave Schneider

Reviewed 24 May 2009

We had a 7 day stay at the Papakea recently. The location is nice , close to many restaurants and shopping. It is at the north tip of kaanapali beach. The unit we stayed in was oceanfront so the view was awesome. We really didn't use the facilities that much as found it much nicer going to the beach. Our unit was updated and comfortable except for the fact the bedroom backs on to the parking lot area and the noise was really noticeable. When people were talking outside, you could hear every word clearly. Secondly, we were on the third floor yet still had small ants regularly in the unit.

As we did not spend a lot of time in the condo, the drawbacks were not that big. For the money we spent, the unit was likely worth it although we would probably look t other options if we went back.

The front desk staff were very nice to deal with and helpful throughout our stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2009

Our family of 4, which consisted of 2 married couples, stayed at the Aston Papakea 9 nights in May. We had planned to travel to Mexico but had to change our plans due to the swine flu scare. We made reservations last minute and got a great rate at the Papakea.
First of all, the service from the front desk staff was the BEST!! They allowed us to check out a couple of rooms and choose the one we wanted.
We stayed on room F405, which is on the top floor oceanFRONT. The view was beautiful! The condo itself was OK. It was two full bedrooms plus a loft and three bath. The only complaint we had was we were two married couples and the extra private bedroom was 2 twin beds while the loft had a queen. Not much privacy in a loft. We chose this room, though, so no complaints. The unit could use some upgrades and better quality living room furniture as well as a better stocked kitchen. The view and location made up for the rooms deficiencies.
The location of the property is nice. Walking distance to grocery, ABC store, FArmers Market, etc. Grounds are lovely. Pleny of loungers, nice pools, two hot tubs, trees, flowers and koi ponds. I would recommend the management add some shade areas such as palapas or somewhere to get out of the sun when on the beach or by the pool. Many people prefer shade to sun and there wasn't much.
Overall - SUPER place to stay and would highly recommend the place.

4  Thank Can_we_go
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Have never had anything better...and don't think I'll ever find anthing better on the beach in North West Maui.

Guests are friendly

We have return every year for the last 7 years

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2009

The unit we stayed in (L403) was fully oceanfront. Not an "oceanview". Fully oceanfront. We kept the sliding glass door open every night and we all fell asleep to the sound of the waves. We sat on the lanai and watched the whales at all hours of the day. The unit had an upgraded kitchen and upgraded baths. I recommend this unit, or at least staying in any unit in the L building. I rented the unit direct from the owner on a "vacation rental by owner" site and saved a LOT. Contact me if you want their info.

The Papakea property is fantastic! It's very well-manicured and parking is free (that is a rarity). All buildings have elevators and parking was easy to find at all hours. There are two pools and it was never a problem to get a lounge chair. There are about 5 or 6 gas grills at each pool and they're in high demand around dinner time. The two large cabanas are free to "rent", with just a security deposit. Great if you have a large group. The lobby and garden staff were very friendly and helpful. The property has a lot of free perks for their guests, like water-aerobics classes, yoga classes, and putting contests on the property's putting green.

There is an Expedia desk in the lobby and on your first morning, they invite you to a free breakfast. The breakfast is just some Costco pastries and the seminar lasts about an hour. It was pretty informative and they gave away a ticket for a dinner cruise (for one person, which was a little shady, but, I guess it works for them) and a bus trip to Hana. I won the Hana trip and went. It was great!

You can walk to the grocery store across the street. In the same shopping center are also a dive shop for your snorkel rentals, and a very popular coffee house (Java Jazz).There is no on-site restaurant, but there is one at the resort next door, and a few in the grocery store shopping center across the street. There is also a Farmer's Market a few days a week, about a 1/4 mile down the street. Make sure to go! You'll find a few things that you can't find on the mainland.

I recommend this property for anyone looking for a great time at a lower price. You'll save money cooking your own meals a few times on your trip and the units are condos. The one I stayed in was fully stocked with all the comforts of home. If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot, try the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. If you want to stay in paradise and NOT spend three months pay, stay at the Papakea.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family