“Beautiful Location, Comfortable Rooms, Great Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Sydney
“Beautiful Location, Comfortable Rooms, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

I stayed at Papakea in two different units, L-408 and B-102. One was an ocean front which was excellent, and the B-102 was perfect for my stay with my girlfriend because it was fitted out great, and just a walk to the beach. All in all it was a very comfortable apartment with ocean views, great sunsets, bbq's and a great pool.

I especially liked the shuffle board and the fact that it is right on the ocean with a small beach where I could swim. The walk to Kaanapali was great too. I would recommend it in the future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bermuda Dunes, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

We were in Maui for our son's wedding. Almost all the wedding guests stayed at Papakea and they loved their rooms, the pools, spas, etc. Everything that we needed was within walking distance. We had a wonderful rehearsal dinner just next door at the Kaanapali Shores Beach Restaurant--walking distance. The Aston manager worked with the Beach Restaurant to make the food, slideshow--everything perfect! We also had an "Aloha Brunch" in the Papakea gazebo. The staff was very helpful. We'll certainly be back!

Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

Misty with Maui Dreams Come True reserved our condo at the Papakea #306. The condo was furnished with every thing you could ever need. Just like your home away from home. Misty was professional and very accommodating. When we arrived and checked into our condo we noticed that a couple of things were not working properly and the very next day a maintenance man knocked on the door and repaired everything that was wrong. Our condo faced the ocean and if you want incredible sunsets well then this is the place for you. I highly recommend "Maui Dreams Come True" and the fabulous Papakea

I was so impressed with Maui Dreams Come True and my stay at the fabulous Papakea that I have booked my reservation for 2011.

Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

We just got back in 2010 after staying 8 nights in g208 at this resort, I couldn't ask for anything more. Everything about the place makes it worth it, Whales almost every morning were seen, Rainbows -double rainbows, were often showing up to greet and say goodbye. The STAFF is One of the Best I have ever seen,
One thing I would like to set staright when booking this property, The Condo's are individually owned and rooms just cannot be changed once booked. Know what you are getting- ocean front is ocean front here with patio's to walk out onto. The condos' have everything you need from internet to washers dryers, pots pans, ect.
One of the best things is being able to walk to everything so close-right behind the rsort is ABC stores like walgreens, dvd's, surf needs, farmers market for fresh food- fish market for fresh fish daily, Java jazz for entertainment nightly, and Great FOOD,,,so no drinking and driving, Just wlak to whatever you need... Front street not to far of a drive say 5 mins,,,,I was highly impressed with my oceanview room and location of this propetrty and would come back again and again, It has two ppols, you can walk to a bigger beach very easy. The sunset melts into the water and oceanview rooms are really worth it-even partial- just see it, It had all the comforts og home, I am a travel agent for 20 years and I watch for everything. Feel free to contact me for an upgrade and pleasant surprise in your room upon arrival. I LOVED IT !!!
Take advantage of the expedia breakfast- you will get good prices and information from the reps and best seating for events, They buy blocked space and know alot about the island.
I would be happy to answer any questions and help you book.
Jeanette Bucy
American Express and AAA travel agent for 20 years now independent
Jbucy777@aol.com
Jeanette Bucy

1 Thank jeanettestravel
Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

We stayed for one week at the Papakea while celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary with the rest of my family and their spouses and children (teenagers and small children). We all stayed in various condos, all at the Papakea. All units were nicely updated and clean, and all had nice views of the ocean.

We stayed in a studio with partial ocean view, but we could easily watch lots of whale activity just off shore from our lanai. Our maid seemed a bit stingy with soap and towels (only 2 sets of towels and 2 bars of soap for 2 sinks and shower, and no liquid dish soap), although she left extra after we asked. Other family members did not experience this issue, and none of us had any other inconveniences.

The grounds and pools are beautiful, and there are shuffleboard areas, putting greens, and children can spot frogs with flashlights in the evenings. The beach is lovely, and much quieter than south Kaanapali. We enjoyed walking from North Kaanapali to South Kaanapali (the Sheraton's grounds on the lava rock connect the two). It is a lovely beach walk that is 3-4 miles round-trip. Much of the area also has a boardwalk if you tire of sandy walks. Lastly, a grocery store is within walking distance of PapaKea (just across the street). Papakea is a great value, and we would stay there again.

1 Thank xantippy
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

We booked a 2 bedroom/2 bath ocean view room directly through Aston. Key points:
1) if we were basing this review off of our first room (J305) then every rating would have been terrible. Everything in the room was original 1983, including the carpets which were truly filthy. There were dead bugs in the sunshine ceiling over a very dingy kitchen, grime all over the floor, dirty hand prints on the dishwasher...to name a few. After traveling for close to 10 hours with small children, arriving at such a place almost made me cry. The ocean view was also non-existent unless you stood on one corner of the balcony.

2) The next morning the staff at Papakea assured us that they had a nicer room for us that we would be moved into by 2 pm. We packed up our luggage and went for a really nice breakfast next door before heading out to Lahaina for the morning. When we returned to the hotel we were given room K205 which was in fact, beautiful. There was tile throughout the main areas, a lovely kitchen and updated bathrooms. I could even see the waves crashing on the beach from the kitchen area.

3) As many people have noted, the grounds are beautiful and the staff friendly. They had an Easter egg hunt Easter morning which I thought was nice.

I really struggle as to whether I can recommend this hotel to a friend. I find that traveling with small children can be stressful enough without worrying about what sort of room you're going to end up in. In the end we had a fabulous time and Aston did move us without any hassle so I am giving them a "thumbs up" with the proviso that your first night may be a disappointing one.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
DaveSKihei_HI, General Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2010
Aloha,

I am disapointed you were not satisfied with your unit. We have unit standards and I can assure any future guest that if you are not happy ask for me and I will do everything possible to make your stay everything you want it to be.

Mahalo,

Dave Schneider
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

Aloha! What a total disappointment!
1. We had booked 2-bathroom unit, but got 1 bathroom with no explanation! The extra bathroom was important for us since we traveled with my mother and a 5-year old. The desk person was helpless - everything she could say was "You have to talk to the manage." The mysterios manager did not show up for 3 days of our Maui visit. I wonder if it is the only manager for the whole resort!!!??? :) Yes, they did offer another room, but who wants to spend vacation time on that if you stay only 3 nights? Nothing, but trouble!
2. "Ocean view" I consider as a scam expression. We could see the ocean, yes... about 1% of the picture (unit D406). The pool and landscaping are nice, but they are NOT ocean! :)
3. The separate rooms are NOT actually separate - they are connected with a part-open window. If the second part of your party snor, forget about nornal sleep!
4. The condo is OK, but needs a lot of updates (the carpet is the first one).
My suggestion? Try to find another resort! Do not make the same mistake - this place has a lot of bad reviews... I wish our travel agent did a better job... :(

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Aloha,

I am sorry you needed a second bathroom only one of our two bedroom units has one bath. I have notified the owner of your review and they have contacted a contractor to go ahead and put the second bathroom in.
If any guest is unhappy please ask for me I am very hands on and want all of my guests to by happy.
If you are uncertian please call me in advance of your arrival and I will make sure you are well taken care of.

Mahalo,