“AVOID this place like the PLAGUE”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 1 March 2007

This "condotel" is the worst place I've ever stayed on Maui! They adverstised this terrific beach and water activities. The brochure was really slick and was FALSE advertising. When we arrived, we found the beach was completely gone! In order to find a beach we had to drive to Kannapali. It was our honeymoon and as soon as my wife saw the "view" and "beach," she wanted to find another hotel!

Management was extremely arrogant and refused to refund any of our money if we checked out. We made a BIG MISTAKE by paying for the place in advance through our travel agent. So, we were stuck in this dump for a week. I guess "rooms" are different depending on whom owns the place, but our room stank from the smokers. We complained about this to no avail. The owner's closet was unlocked and we could have walked off with a bunch of valuable stuff. Instead, we told the manager to come and lock the closet. He was rude in being put off to do even that!

We wish we had read TRIP ADVISOR and stayed at a much higher rated place. This lousy place should be #36 instead of #26! AVOID IT!

• Stayed: April 2003, travelled as a couple
6  Thank captaingary
Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)

Reviewed 16 February 2007

We just returned yesterday from 2 weeks in Maui at the Papakea. We stayed there in Sept 2004 and loved it so much we went back. The room we stayed in was renovated in late 2005 with a new bathroom and kitchen (unit E206). We booked through Harmony Airways (airfare, hotel, car package). The units are individually owned and do vary. Some are more modern than others. When you book through a package, you don't get your choice of rooms but we have not been dissapointed. The grounds are very well kept and there is some of the best snorkling a few feet of the beach in front of the property. There is a mix of retired folks and families with young kids. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank LeeFamilyVacations
Reviewed 11 January 2007

After extensive research I chose the papakea resort based on reviews, guidebook recommendations and the value:price. The resort was beautiful, gorgeous landscaping plenty of lounge chairs, two seperate bbq/cabana areas as well as two separate pool/hot tub areas. you could fit like 20 people into one of those hot tubs, we enjoyed a soak every night along with admiring the amazing view of the stars. The beach that fronts the reort is not the best, the sandy beach is not longer than 10 feet or so. there is a seawall which provides a nice place to lounge and enjoy the view and sounds of the ocean. there are plenty of fabulous beaches very close. Within walking distance there is a market and a few restaurants. The units at papakea are all privately owned, we ended up getting a better last minute deal through the management company listed in frommers than from any of the websites. we had a studio that was a little dated but really very comfortable and met all of our needs. a full kitchen, murphy bed, and a nice lanai with an ocean view. I was very happy with the resort and would stay there again.
FYI there are some units that have been updated beautifully and not much more expensive, they were not avaliable to us as we were last minute travelers.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
7  Thank graciegirlie
Reviewed 30 November 2006

I spent November 14th-20th at Papakea. I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding and I stayed at one of the ocean front 2br/2bath condos with the bride and two other bridesmaids. It was nicely furnished and even had a new washer/dryer for us to use and with 4 girls sharing the condo there was plenty of laundry to do. We enjoyed leaving the sliding door opened at night to let in the cool breeze and listened to the waves as we went to sleep. We didn't stay around the condo much seeing as we were busy with wedding plans, but when we did get to enjoy the pool and beach we were pleasantly pleased with the temperature of the pool and the access to the beach. We also liked the convinience of the ABC store just down the road and the short drive to other beaches and shops in Lahaina.

One find we were very excited about if you a bargain shopper is the flea market that sets up on the side of the main highway as you are coming down towards Lahaina. It was there Monday, Thursday, Friday. It had wonderful hand made jewlery that we took advantage of for great prices. Great for bringing back gifts. Also you have to go on Front Street - they have lots of wonderful shops and restaurants. Forget worrying about having a restaurant at the resort - get out and see the island and discover many different places. Overall we were pleased with our stay and would concider staying here again if the opportunity comes back around.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank SHBlack
Reviewed 29 November 2006

Spent one night here in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. I had called and booked over the phone, they told me I'd have two queen or larger beds. Instead I got a queen and 2 full beds. Bath is joined in the master bedroom only.

The big problem is that this condo resort is owned individually so it's hit or miss, big time. Our unit was overall unsatisfactory cleaned upon arrival. Everything was in working condition but it definitely needed a more professional scrub. It was obvious other things in the unit were aging and in need of repair, but as cleaning and maintenance doesn't own the property, I can only assume they don't want to replace anything they don't have to!

Overall it was an average stay. Paid $265 for the 2BR for a one night stay at the end of Nov 2006.

If you are staying for longer periods of time and want a condo, try elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank ardent
Reviewed 20 November 2006

We booked through Orbitz and this place is nice to stay. The room was smaller than expected, but clean. The appliances were older, but we didnt use them anyway. Bed was just the right amount of firmness...not too soft, not too hard. Staff was very nice and met our needs. I recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank louannjustice
Reviewed 19 November 2006

Spent 8 nights in a two bedroom owner owned condo at Papakea. The property is impecably maintained and had very friendly people attending to your every needs. The pool area was always clean and has 6 bar b ques available. The small beach area in front was just enough and if you wanted you could stay up on their large grassy area to lounge. I never saw a bug, as previous posters have mentioned. There are loud friendly frogs at night singing, and several friendly kitty cats that roam the grounds.. Our unit was on the ocean and after spending only one night, I knew how spoiled we were. After experiencing the views everyday,and listening to the ocean at night, I can never see myself but in the oceanfront units. The condo was appointed nicely with new decor and all the amenities of home. The grocery store across the street, and the Farmers Market a short walk away were fabulous, as well as several restaurants if needed. Also the easy access to the ABC store through the private gate was great! I don't think I will stay anywhere else again on Maui but Papakea. This was my first time in West Maui, and I liked it better. The traffic was next to none in my opinion, maybe because I am from Southern Calif.....I can't wait to return to Papakea.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family