“"Overpriced outdated old condo"”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
East Aurora, New York
“"Overpriced outdated old condo"”
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed at the big island, Hawaii, before coming to Maui. We got a lovely 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom full kitchen modern condo with huge wrap around lanai on the golf course, Aston Shores, for $600 less than the 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom, slum apartment condo in Maui. We were horrified. The manager wouldn't even give me the time of day when I complained. Reception was unfriendly and I talked to another vacationer that had her travel agent move her to another Aston resort from this one for $1500 more which she said she will not pay. We will never trust Aston resorts again. And the beach is all walled off you have to walk to resorts down the beach to enjoy the sand and water :( The bathroom door is a slide-closet like door.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Missy47619
DaveSKihei_HI, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Aloha,

I am disapointed that this guest was not happy with there unit. I am guessing it was not an Aston unit like all of the other negative reviews. I will though assume it is and wonder why the guest comments the manager could have cared less.
You do not need to read to many pages of these reviews to have guests that mention me by name and that I do solve their problems.
We are not perfect and no one is but I am here five days a week and available to my staff every day whenever a guest has a complaint the front desk comes and gets me right away. My office is right next to the front desk and my door is always open for the clerks to come get me.
So I say to anyone if you book through Aston at the Papakea and not some other small management company and you are not happy come or call the front desk, that is 0 on the room telephone and ask for me. I care about every guest at my resort, i even help guests that rent through other companies when they ask.
Mahalo,
Aston at the Papakea Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We arrived after a long day of travel to the Aston Papakea and the resort is certainly not one of the newer properties on the island but at first glance looked maintained. We had booked and one bedroom ocean front room with a King bed. We headed over to our room in building A unit 307, the view was wonderful and that was pretty much it.

The unit was very small, and the kitchen and bathroom had been renovated. I’m not exactly sure when the cleaning crew had last been to our room as the kitchen needed to be wiped down and surfaces certainly weren’t clean. I don’t mind cleaning but not the day I arrive, before I can put our things away. The bathroom was very small but thankfully it was clean. The king bed that we thought we would be sleeping in was really a full. I’m not sure how it can be booked as a king and we get a full. Realizing that the unit might be a bit small for our family I called down to the front desk to check availability on a larger 2 bedroom unit and was informed the property was completely booked. While on the phone my oldest son starts to open the pullout bed. When you hear “Mom can you come here” you know something is up! Yes it was, in the middle of the bed were brown droppings. I put said droppings in a tissue and on our way out to meet friends and have dinner stop by front desk. I must have been tired because the gal at the front desk didn’t even seem fazed, she was apologetic but not shocked or surprised. She immediately called housekeeping to change the linens and we headed out to dinner.

After picking up a few things in Lahaina for breakfast we get settled for the night. As my kids are getting ready for bed I’m reading through the information the front desk gave us and come across a pamphlet about the feral cats on the property…I should have clued in at that point we might have mice or rats but tired I put it out of my mind and went to bed. As I’m falling asleep my husband comes in and says there are more droppings in the carpet around where pull out is. I mumble I’ll look again in the morning and try and get some rest.

Upon waking I head into the kitchen to make some coffee and investigate around the pull out bed. I look on top of the fridge and some pull apart bread we had bought at Foodland for breakfast had been nibbled. At first I thought one of my family members may have tried it. Nope no one had touched it since I put it on the fridge….after some investigating behind around the pullout I look behind and the first picture is what we found. No denying that there were mice or rats running around in our room during the night! My husband immediately got on the phone with the front desk and Expedia. As we were packing up and leaving we see the notices on the door about the routine pest spraying in the units. I don’t really go on vacation so that I can have my family subjected to pesticides!

We were supposed to stay at the Papakea resort for 8 nights and instead headed over to the Westin Villas. The only real positive that I can say about the property other than the view is that George at the front desk was very helpful. Called to make sure that we were able to find another place to stay and helpful in getting a refund through Expedia.

After looking at the negative review on trip advisor and seeing another guest with a mousetrap in the room I was more surprised by the indignation of the General Manager who said this in November;
“The statements regarding a mouse are absurd we have not had a report of a mouse or rat since I have been here three years. We maintain a constant pest control spraying program with a licensed pest control company. We have one ferral cat per acre, 11 total and there are no mice anywhere to be found. That is an insult to the entire property.”

I think they may need a few more cats, and certainly around building A and let guests know that when you plan your quarterly pest control spraying so they could make other arrangements if they are bothered by such things!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Claireknits
DaveSKihei_HI, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Aloha,

Yes indeed this was the first mouse siting in the three years I have been here at Papakea. It was handled immediately and of course we honored the guest request to move. Papakea as all of the properties on West Maui have a ferral cat population as this is the tropics and yes there are mice on the island. I believe it was Captian Cook that brought the first ones.
Papakea has a monthly professional pest control company that manages the spraying on property and in the units. Sometimes doors get left open and bugs fly in and in this case a mouse got in.

Mahalo

Aston at the Papakea resort
Temecula, CA
Reviewed 22 December 2010

The units in this complex are individually owned, but managed by Aston. I'm not quite sure what Aston charges for their services, but the owners are getting ripped off if part of their 'fees' to Aston includes regular maintenance on the units. The units themsevlves had excellent views (F Building) and exceptional beach access - literally walk across the 50 or so feet of lawn and there was the ocean. However, both of our units were in desparate need of a complete overhaul and update, including the furniture (think 1980's pastel pinks and greens). The walls were disgustingly dirtly, there was evidence of extreme, but poor patching jobs in the door jams, walls, etc. The kitchens were dated, but well appointed with necessary equipment for cooking light meals for families, and of course, the necessary washer and dryer. I would suggest this resort for families with young kids (they are everywhere!) as the kids could not do much damage to the already dilapidated condition of the units. Also, be aware that some of the units have air conditioning and some do not. This is not a problem during the day, however, when you close up the units at night for sleeping, the musty, stagnant smell of the unit is very irritating and makes a comfortable sleep nearly impossible. Our unit owner placed an irrtating fan (airplane engine noise) in the bedroom and a barely functioning ceiling fan - no help there. The bathrooms contained a single person 3x3 shower stall and one bangs his/her arms on the walls when one attempts to wash hair or body. Very uncomfortable for those who exceed 5'9 feet in height. The bedrooms are in the rear of the unit along the pathway that unites each of the units. The noise from passersby is extremely irritating. Due to the type of windows (slated glass panes) - there is no solution for this problem. For what they charge at this complex, you can stay at the Hotel Maui with much nicer (and quieter) grounds, yet no beach access. I would not stay here again and definitely do not recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2010
Aloha,

I did not have to read long to know this guest did not stay in an Aston Managed unit. All Aston units have air conditioning at Papakea and this guest stayed in a unit that did not. Aston also has unit standards which is why this guest was not only upset about no A/C but a unit in need of Aston's standards.
The only way you can be assured of a nice unit at Papakea is to book through Aston. If you book eslewhere you are trusting that the person renting to you is actually the one who has a unit and they are not scamming you out of your money.
Aston is the largest premier Resort Management company in Hawaii you can book with Aston with confidence. Our standards and global booking network are always a trusted way for a great vacation experience.

Mahalo,

Aston at the Papakea Resort
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Our suite was a one bedroom with a full kitchen. Very nice view of the grounds and partial ocean view. The bedroom was in the back of the suite and it was an interesting layout but I slept on the couch in the living room. Nice pool with hot tub and barbecues. Close to a grocery store. Close to the best snorkeling beach I have encountered, Kaanapali beach. The room seemed clean and tidy. Staff was pleasant to us. Parking was easy. There was a washer and dryer in our suite. There were little ants 'nonos' around but that's all part of staying in an ocean front hotel on this side of Maui. They didn't bother us, just keep your food in the fridge or sealed. Beautiful grounds at this hotel. Nice chaise lounge chairs on the strip of grass right on the ocean, great place to watch the sunset.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Hawaiigirl44
Sturgis, South Dakota
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The staff was super friendly and helpful. But the accomodations, and the view and the peacefulness, keeps my interest alive in coming back to Hawaii.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We had booked an Ocean View, but we were given a room (J206) which was a partial ocean view. The room itself was well maintained, clean and the kitchen well equipped. Other guests and staff were very friendly. Mini golf was good as well.
We did our laundry and after running the dryer for 15 minutes, the smoke alarm went off. It took us a few minutes to figure out that the dryer was the culprit. So we had to disconnect the smoke alarm and restart the dryer.
High Speed internet was only as fast as dialup.
Other than these small annoyances the place was good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Summerland
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a quiet place to spend a holiday. The grounds are beautiful and the maintenance staff does such a good job of keeping them up. The two pools are a treat - families seem to gravitate to one and seniors to the other. The hot tubs are clean and well maintained. The office staff was friendly and checking in was easy and hassle free. But do check to make sure the unit has been upgraded. We saw several of the units that still had the original carpets, counters etc and they are not nearly as nice. Many units are privately owned and can be rented through local management companies or VRBO.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business