“Papakea resort stay”

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Portland, Oregon
“Papakea resort stay”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I rented several condos at Papakea resort while we were on the island for my son's wedding. We loved the location and proximity to everything. The grounds were great. What you need to be careful of is that each unit is in a different condition. We were unlucky to have rented ours through a property management company named "Maui dreams come true" they claim to have hand picked the units they rent and that each one is recently upgraded and refurbished. Also that they are giving you 50% discounted rates. Do not believe them. Our unit through them was in terrible condition. It had not been either upgraded or refurbished and it was also only surface cleaned. The furnishings and decor were in poor condition also. They claimed to have given me the lowest rate but rented a unit next door to my son for 100$ a night less...When I talked to them after arriving the contact person (Mitsy) just denied all my claims even though I was in the unit living with the filth. I sent pictures and she still was not willing to agree. Unfortunately it is the only flaw for the week of our sons wedding.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
DaveSKihei_HI, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Aloha,

This review is just like the rest of the negative reviews and I am glad this guest pointed out they rented through another small management company. I will point out as a matter of fact it is the same small management company as the "Maui Great Papakea OK" review above. Same disapointment same management company.
Book through Aston and I am here to complain to if you are not happy. We are not perfect but I do have guests come to the front desk and ask for me. I go right out usually invite them into my office. They explain their problem and I fix it.
Book with Aston and you book with confidence.

Mahalo,

Aston at the Papakea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We booked our stay through VRBO, these condo's are privately owned (We stayed at K101). Our stay was from Dec 11-20 and we were then heading to Honolulu/Waikiki and then Kauai (staying at the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation - See my other review on this). Now that I have something to compare this condo with to another one in Hawaii, this condo by far was MUCH better in terms of the feel and atmosphere of living accommodations, especially because I was travelling with a 10-month old baby. CAVEAT...each unit and what they provide will differ as these are individually owned. So my review can only speak to this specific unit.

To fully see the island, must rent a car. We rented through dollar and I kept checking every few weeks for the best price. I just kept rebooking every few weeks and eventually the rate went down over $100 from when I initially booked.

GOOD THINGS:
- location location location: walking distance to a park for kids, farmer's market, grocery store (ABC Store, Times Grocery), take-out food (DO TRY THE L&L HAWAIIAN BBQ!).
- 5-minute drive to the Safeway grocery store and small mall. Across the street from Safeway is a small strip mall with about 20 stores (Boarders, Foot Locker). There are free hula shows on certain nights.
- free WiFi (although it runs very very slow
- putting green (which was fantastic for baby to crawl on the soft grass)
- gas bbq's (we used them 3 times)
- the grounds are in excellent condition and well-kept, koi ponds clean.

UNIT SPECIFIC
- we were on the ground floor very close to the pool and ocean. With a baby (and stroller), it was key to be on the ground floor. It was nice to just walk out on our lanai (porch) and head to the pool or beach from the lanai
- pack n' play available in the unit (I don't think all units have this and you may have to pay to rent one or just buy one at the store).
- the kitchen was fully stocked (unlike at the Outrigger). You truly feel at home with the appliances and kitchen utensils. Sandwich bags, foil, salt/pepper/spices, coffee filters etc...all provided
- keyless entry (punch in a code affixed to the door)

ONLY COMPLAINTS:
- front desk only available until 11pm. Although we didn't have any problems, we were informed that we had to check in to get a parking pass and we arrived after 11pm. Not a big issue
- parking was hard to find in our building area ("K") if you arrived late in the evening (but we were there in high season so we understood.

THINGS TO DO/SEE:
- Drove to Kapalua (DT Fleming Park), we watched the surfers and checked out the golf courses (apparently you can go on a free tour of the course)
- Baby Beach (off of Front Street, very calm waters for babies/kids) and Big Beach (gorgeous - waves are rough)
- Molokini Tour - we saw whales, sea turtles and a rare monk seal along the way!
- Drove to Keihi and Wailea and checked out their beaches, shopped at the malls (Shops at Wailea) and walked along the grounds of the Marriott and Grand Wailea
- If you go to Whalers Village, if you spend $15 then your parking in the parking garage is free

1 Thank beachforever
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We were lucky enough to stay in one of the oceanfront rooms on the first floor in this hotel and it was SO worth it! You are literally just steps away from the beautiful beach, and in the living room you can leave your patio door wide open (screen closed if you want) and just completely bliss out to the sound of the waves.

We loved having a kitchen and living room! The bedroom was OK, but we spent the vast majority of the time out by the beach and out enjoying everything Maui has to offer, so it didn't bother us in the slightest that it wasn't the pinnacle of luxury. You're right next to several other hotels, so even though this particular place doesn't have a restaurant or spa, you don't have to walk more than 5 minutes to get to one.

I'm not sure how much I would have liked it if we hadn't gotten the ocean front room, though. I PROMISE that upgrade is 100% worth it! Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Spokane, WA
Reviewed 6 January 2011

This was our second trip to Maui and Papakea. Last year we had an ocean view room and this year we booked an ocean front room which was wonderful. We stayed in F109 and it was so nice to be on the ground floor with green grass and ocean right out the slider. We spent two weeks and we enjoyed every day there. I know that some people write bad reviews about Papakea, but my husband and I love it there and we are all ready planning our trip for next year. The people who work there are friendly and so very helpful. We are always impressed with how the grounds are taken care of. It was great using the BBQ's for cooking dinner and having the grocery store within walking distance. My husband and I love Papakea and hope to make it our annual vacation spot for years to come. Thanks to everyone at Papakea for making our trips so enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv2tlk2
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We just stayed at the beautiful Papakea resort. We were in E403. The unit was slightly updated, and was the perfect size (3 bedroom, 3 bath). I think we paid about $450 a night which was amazing at Christmas time. The only complaint is that it was HOT and LOUD in the back two bedrooms. There is only one window AC and its in the front family room. It works great there and for the loft, but even with the bedroom doors open, our rooms were way too hot! And if you open the windows you can here everyone talking in the courtyard outside as well as the elevator beeping at every floor, directly across from the bedroom.

Pros: Cost
Location to everything
Beautiful grounds
Bar B Q's
Clean pools and Jacuzzis
No Bar or restaurant (saved us a ton of money with 5 kids!)
next to nice beach at Kaanapali Shores Hotel

Cons: No beach
No AC in rooms (too Hot)
Noise outside of rooms (hard to sleep)
No Bar or restaurant

1 Thank TheZooLA
East Aurora, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed at the big island, Hawaii, before coming to Maui. We got a lovely 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom full kitchen modern condo with huge wrap around lanai on the golf course, Aston Shores, for $600 less than the 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom, slum apartment condo in Maui. We were horrified. The manager wouldn't even give me the time of day when I complained. Reception was unfriendly and I talked to another vacationer that had her travel agent move her to another Aston resort from this one for $1500 more which she said she will not pay. We will never trust Aston resorts again. And the beach is all walled off you have to walk to resorts down the beach to enjoy the sand and water :( The bathroom door is a slide-closet like door.

4 Thank Missy47619
Aloha,

I am disapointed that this guest was not happy with there unit. I am guessing it was not an Aston unit like all of the other negative reviews. I will though assume it is and wonder why the guest comments the manager could have cared less.
You do not need to read to many pages of these reviews to have guests that mention me by name and that I do solve their problems.
We are not perfect and no one is but I am here five days a week and available to my staff every day whenever a guest has a complaint the front desk comes and gets me right away. My office is right next to the front desk and my door is always open for the clerks to come get me.
So I say to anyone if you book through Aston at the Papakea and not some other small management company and you are not happy come or call the front desk, that is 0 on the room telephone and ask for me. I care about every guest at my resort, i even help guests that rent through other companies when they ask.
Mahalo,
Aston at the Papakea Resort
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We arrived after a long day of travel to the Aston Papakea and the resort is certainly not one of the newer properties on the island but at first glance looked maintained. We had booked and one bedroom ocean front room with a King bed. We headed over to our room in building A unit 307, the view was wonderful and that was pretty much it.

The unit was very small, and the kitchen and bathroom had been renovated. I’m not exactly sure when the cleaning crew had last been to our room as the kitchen needed to be wiped down and surfaces certainly weren’t clean. I don’t mind cleaning but not the day I arrive, before I can put our things away. The bathroom was very small but thankfully it was clean. The king bed that we thought we would be sleeping in was really a full. I’m not sure how it can be booked as a king and we get a full. Realizing that the unit might be a bit small for our family I called down to the front desk to check availability on a larger 2 bedroom unit and was informed the property was completely booked. While on the phone my oldest son starts to open the pullout bed. When you hear “Mom can you come here” you know something is up! Yes it was, in the middle of the bed were brown droppings. I put said droppings in a tissue and on our way out to meet friends and have dinner stop by front desk. I must have been tired because the gal at the front desk didn’t even seem fazed, she was apologetic but not shocked or surprised. She immediately called housekeeping to change the linens and we headed out to dinner.

After picking up a few things in Lahaina for breakfast we get settled for the night. As my kids are getting ready for bed I’m reading through the information the front desk gave us and come across a pamphlet about the feral cats on the property…I should have clued in at that point we might have mice or rats but tired I put it out of my mind and went to bed. As I’m falling asleep my husband comes in and says there are more droppings in the carpet around where pull out is. I mumble I’ll look again in the morning and try and get some rest.

Upon waking I head into the kitchen to make some coffee and investigate around the pull out bed. I look on top of the fridge and some pull apart bread we had bought at Foodland for breakfast had been nibbled. At first I thought one of my family members may have tried it. Nope no one had touched it since I put it on the fridge….after some investigating behind around the pullout I look behind and the first picture is what we found. No denying that there were mice or rats running around in our room during the night! My husband immediately got on the phone with the front desk and Expedia. As we were packing up and leaving we see the notices on the door about the routine pest spraying in the units. I don’t really go on vacation so that I can have my family subjected to pesticides!

We were supposed to stay at the Papakea resort for 8 nights and instead headed over to the Westin Villas. The only real positive that I can say about the property other than the view is that George at the front desk was very helpful. Called to make sure that we were able to find another place to stay and helpful in getting a refund through Expedia.

After looking at the negative review on trip advisor and seeing another guest with a mousetrap in the room I was more surprised by the indignation of the General Manager who said this in November;
“The statements regarding a mouse are absurd we have not had a report of a mouse or rat since I have been here three years. We maintain a constant pest control spraying program with a licensed pest control company. We have one ferral cat per acre, 11 total and there are no mice anywhere to be found. That is an insult to the entire property.”

I think they may need a few more cats, and certainly around building A and let guests know that when you plan your quarterly pest control spraying so they could make other arrangements if they are bothered by such things!

2 Thank Claireknits
DaveSKihei_HI, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Aloha,

Yes indeed this was the first mouse siting in the three years I have been here at Papakea. It was handled immediately and of course we honored the guest request to move. Papakea as all of the properties on West Maui have a ferral cat population as this is the tropics and yes there are mice on the island. I believe it was Captian Cook that brought the first ones.
Papakea has a monthly professional pest control company that manages the spraying on property and in the units. Sometimes doors get left open and bugs fly in and in this case a mouse got in.

Mahalo