“MAUI great, Papakea okay”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Bothell, Washington
“MAUI great, Papakea okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

I stayed at the Papakea resort for a week with my extended family, we stayed in the "K" building room 101 was dirty and outdated. The property manager "Misty" was extremely rude and unwilling to provide any assistance. We also rented rooms 103 and 105 whcih were okay but they really need to be updated, lamps should work, screen doors should open and close with ease. It was extremely unfortunate that the property management companies did not take more of an interest in what they were renting out for an incredible amount of money.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jmpaul
DaveSKihei_HI, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Aloha,

I appreciate that this guest realized and noted they had not rented through Aston but another small management company that has a few units at Papakea. Booking through Aston assures you get a unit that has the Aston standards. Many of the small management companies here and VRBO's are not with Aston because their units will not meet our standards.
For a great unit book through Aston and you will not have this experience.

Mahalo,

Dave Schneider
Aston at the Papakea Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

I stayed at A 202 through above owner ( mention my name, andrea) a one bedroom RIGHT ON THE OCEAN, A 203 is a studio, same location on ocean. Very clean, comfortable,safe, hot tubs and pools right next to condo in bldg A. A great location in west maui.....great health food store and japanese deli within walking, also farmers market. Very close to 3 remarkable beaches, kalapani, napili and kailua. Good for solo,couples,families.....highly recommend. The owner lives nearby and supplies lots of play things in the closet, beach towels, pails and shovels, even some golf clubs....contact her and she will tell you all that she has to offer. Much better than a hotel.
I hope I can return. Very relaxing lounge chairs lining the ocean side! YUM!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank blakeson
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

I rented several condos at Papakea resort while we were on the island for my son's wedding. We loved the location and proximity to everything. The grounds were great. What you need to be careful of is that each unit is in a different condition. We were unlucky to have rented ours through a property management company named "Maui dreams come true" they claim to have hand picked the units they rent and that each one is recently upgraded and refurbished. Also that they are giving you 50% discounted rates. Do not believe them. Our unit through them was in terrible condition. It had not been either upgraded or refurbished and it was also only surface cleaned. The furnishings and decor were in poor condition also. They claimed to have given me the lowest rate but rented a unit next door to my son for 100$ a night less...When I talked to them after arriving the contact person (Mitsy) just denied all my claims even though I was in the unit living with the filth. I sent pictures and she still was not willing to agree. Unfortunately it is the only flaw for the week of our sons wedding.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Aloha,

This review is just like the rest of the negative reviews and I am glad this guest pointed out they rented through another small management company. I will point out as a matter of fact it is the same small management company as the "Maui Great Papakea OK" review above. Same disapointment same management company.
Book through Aston and I am here to complain to if you are not happy. We are not perfect but I do have guests come to the front desk and ask for me. I go right out usually invite them into my office. They explain their problem and I fix it.
Book with Aston and you book with confidence.

Mahalo,

Dave Schneider
Aston at the Papakea
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

We booked our stay through VRBO, these condo's are privately owned (We stayed at K101). Our stay was from Dec 11-20 and we were then heading to Honolulu/Waikiki and then Kauai (staying at the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation - See my other review on this). Now that I have something to compare this condo with to another one in Hawaii, this condo by far was MUCH better in terms of the feel and atmosphere of living accommodations, especially because I was travelling with a 10-month old baby. CAVEAT...each unit and what they provide will differ as these are individually owned. So my review can only speak to this specific unit.

To fully see the island, must rent a car. We rented through dollar and I kept checking every few weeks for the best price. I just kept rebooking every few weeks and eventually the rate went down over $100 from when I initially booked.

GOOD THINGS:
- location location location: walking distance to a park for kids, farmer's market, grocery store (ABC Store, Times Grocery), take-out food (DO TRY THE L&L HAWAIIAN BBQ!).
- 5-minute drive to the Safeway grocery store and small mall. Across the street from Safeway is a small strip mall with about 20 stores (Boarders, Foot Locker). There are free hula shows on certain nights.
- free WiFi (although it runs very very slow
- putting green (which was fantastic for baby to crawl on the soft grass)
- gas bbq's (we used them 3 times)
- the grounds are in excellent condition and well-kept, koi ponds clean.

UNIT SPECIFIC
- we were on the ground floor very close to the pool and ocean. With a baby (and stroller), it was key to be on the ground floor. It was nice to just walk out on our lanai (porch) and head to the pool or beach from the lanai
- pack n' play available in the unit (I don't think all units have this and you may have to pay to rent one or just buy one at the store).
- the kitchen was fully stocked (unlike at the Outrigger). You truly feel at home with the appliances and kitchen utensils. Sandwich bags, foil, salt/pepper/spices, coffee filters etc...all provided
- keyless entry (punch in a code affixed to the door)

ONLY COMPLAINTS:
- front desk only available until 11pm. Although we didn't have any problems, we were informed that we had to check in to get a parking pass and we arrived after 11pm. Not a big issue
- parking was hard to find in our building area ("K") if you arrived late in the evening (but we were there in high season so we understood.

THINGS TO DO/SEE:
- Drove to Kapalua (DT Fleming Park), we watched the surfers and checked out the golf courses (apparently you can go on a free tour of the course)
- Baby Beach (off of Front Street, very calm waters for babies/kids) and Big Beach (gorgeous - waves are rough)
- Molokini Tour - we saw whales, sea turtles and a rare monk seal along the way!
- Drove to Keihi and Wailea and checked out their beaches, shopped at the malls (Shops at Wailea) and walked along the grounds of the Marriott and Grand Wailea
- If you go to Whalers Village, if you spend $15 then your parking in the parking garage is free

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank beachforever
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We were lucky enough to stay in one of the oceanfront rooms on the first floor in this hotel and it was SO worth it! You are literally just steps away from the beautiful beach, and in the living room you can leave your patio door wide open (screen closed if you want) and just completely bliss out to the sound of the waves.

We loved having a kitchen and living room! The bedroom was OK, but we spent the vast majority of the time out by the beach and out enjoying everything Maui has to offer, so it didn't bother us in the slightest that it wasn't the pinnacle of luxury. You're right next to several other hotels, so even though this particular place doesn't have a restaurant or spa, you don't have to walk more than 5 minutes to get to one.

I'm not sure how much I would have liked it if we hadn't gotten the ocean front room, though. I PROMISE that upgrade is 100% worth it! Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Spokane, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

This was our second trip to Maui and Papakea. Last year we had an ocean view room and this year we booked an ocean front room which was wonderful. We stayed in F109 and it was so nice to be on the ground floor with green grass and ocean right out the slider. We spent two weeks and we enjoyed every day there. I know that some people write bad reviews about Papakea, but my husband and I love it there and we are all ready planning our trip for next year. The people who work there are friendly and so very helpful. We are always impressed with how the grounds are taken care of. It was great using the BBQ's for cooking dinner and having the grocery store within walking distance. My husband and I love Papakea and hope to make it our annual vacation spot for years to come. Thanks to everyone at Papakea for making our trips so enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv2tlk2
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We just stayed at the beautiful Papakea resort. We were in E403. The unit was slightly updated, and was the perfect size (3 bedroom, 3 bath). I think we paid about $450 a night which was amazing at Christmas time. The only complaint is that it was HOT and LOUD in the back two bedrooms. There is only one window AC and its in the front family room. It works great there and for the loft, but even with the bedroom doors open, our rooms were way too hot! And if you open the windows you can here everyone talking in the courtyard outside as well as the elevator beeping at every floor, directly across from the bedroom.

Pros: Cost
Location to everything
Beautiful grounds
Bar B Q's
Clean pools and Jacuzzis
No Bar or restaurant (saved us a ton of money with 5 kids!)
next to nice beach at Kaanapali Shores Hotel

Cons: No beach
No AC in rooms (too Hot)
Noise outside of rooms (hard to sleep)
No Bar or restaurant