“Exceeded High Expectations”

Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
West Richland WA
“Exceeded High Expectations”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We just returned from 5 wonderful days at the Ali'i. We had heard and read wonderful things about it and I was concerned we would be disappointed. It was everything we heard about and more. We went for an Ocean Front two bedroom and the view and accomodations were spectacular. We were on the third floor which gave us an unabstructed view but was still below the canopy of the palm trees.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we never once felt they were only interested in tips. The beach area in front odf the Ali'i was the best on Kaanapali and we were very convenient to Whaler Village and other areas of interest. We definitely will return and give it our highest recommendation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MJCZLawrence

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Indonesian first
Sitka, Alaska
Reviewed 8 March 2012

'Alil' is the word that Hawaiians use to describe 'royalty' and during my recent stay at the Kaanapali Alii, I was always treated like royalty! And another Hawaiian word that helps me to describe my stay at the resort is 'Na Ka 'Oi', which translates to mean 'the best'!

From the moment I arrived and all throughout my stay, my experiences there were always the best of the best all around me. Every aspect of the resort was impressive. Every staff member I saw displayed the real spirit of aloha.

The cleanliness, the amenities, the service and more were all more than enough for me to say that I fully enjoyed my time there and I will be looking forward to my next visit at the Kaanapali Alii.

I've been all over Hawaii and I know what to expect....the Kaannapali Alii is my highest recommended resort to anyone visiting Maui.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Tim S
chico
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Moved over to Kaanapali Alii after two miserable days at Westin next door. It was a wonderful move, but quite a bit more costly. In exchange though, at Alii a guest doesn't have to pay $20/day for parking or a "resort fee" of $25/day. We stayed in room 114 (not sure what building); bottom story. It great to stay on ground floor; we could just walk straight thru back sliders to pool area and beach. Our condo was one bedroom with murphy bed in living area. We were told we would have two beds, so a little disappointed to find out one was murphy, but it was workable; just felt staff should have been a little more forthcoming with that info. Also, mattress on bedroom bed needs replacement ASAP...it has a serious dip in the middle....so bad we had to put pillows in middle of bed so we wouldn't roll into it. All the condos are different, so be sure to ask a lot of questions. 114 doesn't have a den area, but has large bedroom, beautiful bath, and nicely decorated living area. Also has a small dining area, which we didn't use because we ate on veranda. Full kitchen with granite countertops was such a blessing because I get a little tired of continually eating out, especially in Hawaii where a resort breakfast can run an easy $50/couple! Kitchen was welll appointed with all the necessities. Blender was an inexpensive model, that leaked like crazy when I was making smoothies, but better than nothing. There was all varieties of pots and pans, so finding necessary tools to make a meal was easy. We used common BBQ area one evening, it was clean and well appointed as well. Nice that they have silverware and supplies available so guest doesn't have to haul so much out to utilize feature. Housekeeping freshened up daily and was generous with supplies. Grounds were well maintained and stunning; complete opposite of deferred maintenance at Westin next door. Condo units are very well built....little, if any neighboring or upstairs noise.
I agree with other reviewers, that folks who claim a chair by pool early in the day for use several hours later is irritating. There is also an issue with all the kids playing in adult pool. Part of problem seems to be staff doesn't have a person walking the grounds and monitoring pool situation; It doesn't seem like guests should have to be put in the uncomfortable situation of asking another guest to please play by the rules. Its so nice that they offer both pools, both of which are beautiful, just wish other parents and guests abided by rules. I also agree it was great not to have to carry around an ID card to get towlels or use chairs on beach.
Workout room is stunning...if you have any inclination at all to get in a workout, its worth it. Busy in the morning, but I was alone in the afternoon. Equipment is new, clean and easy to use. Lots of freeweights and benches are available as well.
Beware wireless internet is NOT available in-room. You must go to pool area to receive wireless. There is wired connection in room, but that seems more inconvenient these days than walking to common area.
NOTE: Starbucks has shop next door to Alii at neighboring resort...thats a great plus!
All in all, if you have to stay at Kaanapali Coast, this is an awesome option. Just be ready for CROWDS and NOISE. Not the Alii's fault, its just the nature of the beast in Kaanapali. Quiet Hawaiin getaways are not what you find there...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank maryChico
Modesto, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Alii is situated right on the beach in Kaanapali, between the Westin and the Marriott Beach Club. The grounds are beautiful and kept up so well. There are two pools, one quiet pool and the other for families. The beach offers free chairs to sit on or covered lounge chairs for a daily fee. The units are very spacious. Very updated with granite counters new appliances. This is a great resort to stay in Maui.

Room Tip: The garden view facing the pools can't be beat. Also the ocean view is the best!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank diane32724
Western US
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is almost a perfect hotel, the best we've ever stayed at on Maui. The grounds are immaculate, and the facilities are up-to-date. It’s location on Kaanapali beach is ideal.

I was impressed with the hotel staff, always willing to help, and always smiling and friendly.

I also enjoyed the resort's towel policy: Trust. No wrist bands, no towel card. You want a pool towel? Just go pick one up. I'm sure there are some towels that don't get returned, but I imagine the towel return rate is close to 100 percent. It's nice being treated like a responsible adult.

Our room (123) was great for our group (three couples). It had enough room that we could invite others over for dinners and gatherings. The suite has recently been refurbished with modern appliances and lighting. This was not an "ocean view" suite, so we also had the construction noise from next door as mentioned in a previous post. However, I can't hold the Alii responsible for that. The noise was a bit bothersome if you stayed in your hotel room all day, but who does that? And we actually enjoyed the Westin’s Luau music.

My only complaint is the tiresome invasion of pool-chair trolls. These are the troglodytes that run out early in the morning, place a book and towel on chair/lounger, and expect everyone to respect their territory the entire day. The Alii needs to get aggressive against these lower life forms to prevent chair saving.

Just up the beach, another hotel (can’t remember which one) has signs posted around the pool area which remind guests that pool chairs are for “active use” only. This means if a chair is left for more than 25 minutes, the staff removes any personal items that the Chair Hogs have put there.

It’s not that it was impossible to find places to lay out in the shade or sun; it’s just that the nicer spots under umbrellas were always “saved” by these squatters.

Fix this one problem, and the Alii is easily a 5 Star property.

Room Tip: We joined some couples who had a connection to the particular room we stayed in. If it were just my...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank DKLC
Santa Cruz
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The Kaanapali Alii was perfect for us. We stayed in Building 3, with a partial ocean view, so from our lanai, we could see the ocean/beach/surfers, the grounds next door and the mountains. The condo unit was very nice and very quiet. Several pools. We used the barbecue area several times to BBQ fresh Ahi. Gorgeous sunsets! An easy walk to the Hula Grill and Lailani's and Black Rock to snorkel, although we snorkeled right outside on our own beach and had a friendly turtle join us. Loved this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank santacruz2010
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed at the Kaanapali Alii for the second time this past week. It was another absolutely fantastic stay! This time I stayed with my parents, who had not been here before. They found the accomodations to be top notch,as did I. The furnishings, appliances, etc. are all of very high quality and the views from our ocean-front unit were fantastic. We saw whales each and every day. I'm glad to see that Kaanapali Alii is continuing to keep their facilty up in such great shape - I think the unit we stayed in was better than the last.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank BostonBF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!