“A perfect stay!”
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Just returned from a great stay at the Ali'i! We stayed in unit 1-131 and it was fantastic and updated. The suite was large, clean and very cozy. We loved hanging out in our suite and it really felt like home. A considerable difference from our friends unit #2102 - which was NOT updated. Had I got this suite, I think I would have felt VERY differently about our stay.

Pros: location, location, location; amazing cleaning staff especially Amelda :), beautiful grounds, easy parking, great gym, lovely tennis courts, beach access, beach chairs, towel service, bbq area. The bed was SO comfortable - perfect sleeps!

Cons: no onsite restaurant but close enough to Whalers village, front desk staff was unbelievably rude and needs a strong lesson in customer service. Pool was adequate but given the size of the resort it should really be a bit bigger. There are very loud Luau's next door a few times a week; thankfully they end at 8pm but if you are travelling from another time zone this could feel much later especially on the first few days of arrival.

We paid extra for a late check out due to a late flight and that made a world of difference to our overall enjoyment.

Room Tip: Apparently, you cannot pre-select a room but I would try hard to get an UPDATED room with non-tradit...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank tooareist

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We rented a private condo over the week of Thanksgiving and this place was amazing! A hidden gem. Right on the beach, that isn't crowded, and only a short walk to Whaler's Village and Hula Grill. Gorgeous view and a beautiful place!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AuntieNA
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Wow! My wife and I have travelled the world and stayed at plenty of top notch resorts, but the Alii was just perfect! We were lucky enough to have a 2 bedroom ocean deluxe condo right on the beach. Everything could not have been better.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clark B
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We just returned from 5 wonderful days at the Ali'i. We had heard and read wonderful things about it and I was concerned we would be disappointed. It was everything we heard about and more. We went for an Ocean Front two bedroom and the view and accomodations were spectacular. We were on the third floor which gave us an unabstructed view but was still below the canopy of the palm trees.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we never once felt they were only interested in tips. The beach area in front odf the Ali'i was the best on Kaanapali and we were very convenient to Whaler Village and other areas of interest. We definitely will return and give it our highest recommendation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MJCZLawrence
Reviewed 8 March 2012

'Alil' is the word that Hawaiians use to describe 'royalty' and during my recent stay at the Kaanapali Alii, I was always treated like royalty! And another Hawaiian word that helps me to describe my stay at the resort is 'Na Ka 'Oi', which translates to mean 'the best'!

From the moment I arrived and all throughout my stay, my experiences there were always the best of the best all around me. Every aspect of the resort was impressive. Every staff member I saw displayed the real spirit of aloha.

The cleanliness, the amenities, the service and more were all more than enough for me to say that I fully enjoyed my time there and I will be looking forward to my next visit at the Kaanapali Alii.

I've been all over Hawaii and I know what to expect....the Kaannapali Alii is my highest recommended resort to anyone visiting Maui.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Moved over to Kaanapali Alii after two miserable days at Westin next door. It was a wonderful move, but quite a bit more costly. In exchange though, at Alii a guest doesn't have to pay $20/day for parking or a "resort fee" of $25/day. We stayed in room 114 (not sure what building); bottom story. It great to stay on ground floor; we could just walk straight thru back sliders to pool area and beach. Our condo was one bedroom with murphy bed in living area. We were told we would have two beds, so a little disappointed to find out one was murphy, but it was workable; just felt staff should have been a little more forthcoming with that info. Also, mattress on bedroom bed needs replacement ASAP...it has a serious dip in the middle....so bad we had to put pillows in middle of bed so we wouldn't roll into it. All the condos are different, so be sure to ask a lot of questions. 114 doesn't have a den area, but has large bedroom, beautiful bath, and nicely decorated living area. Also has a small dining area, which we didn't use because we ate on veranda. Full kitchen with granite countertops was such a blessing because I get a little tired of continually eating out, especially in Hawaii where a resort breakfast can run an easy $50/couple! Kitchen was welll appointed with all the necessities. Blender was an inexpensive model, that leaked like crazy when I was making smoothies, but better than nothing. There was all varieties of pots and pans, so finding necessary tools to make a meal was easy. We used common BBQ area one evening, it was clean and well appointed as well. Nice that they have silverware and supplies available so guest doesn't have to haul so much out to utilize feature. Housekeeping freshened up daily and was generous with supplies. Grounds were well maintained and stunning; complete opposite of deferred maintenance at Westin next door. Condo units are very well built....little, if any neighboring or upstairs noise.
I agree with other reviewers, that folks who claim a chair by pool early in the day for use several hours later is irritating. There is also an issue with all the kids playing in adult pool. Part of problem seems to be staff doesn't have a person walking the grounds and monitoring pool situation; It doesn't seem like guests should have to be put in the uncomfortable situation of asking another guest to please play by the rules. Its so nice that they offer both pools, both of which are beautiful, just wish other parents and guests abided by rules. I also agree it was great not to have to carry around an ID card to get towlels or use chairs on beach.
Workout room is stunning...if you have any inclination at all to get in a workout, its worth it. Busy in the morning, but I was alone in the afternoon. Equipment is new, clean and easy to use. Lots of freeweights and benches are available as well.
Beware wireless internet is NOT available in-room. You must go to pool area to receive wireless. There is wired connection in room, but that seems more inconvenient these days than walking to common area.
NOTE: Starbucks has shop next door to Alii at neighboring resort...thats a great plus!
All in all, if you have to stay at Kaanapali Coast, this is an awesome option. Just be ready for CROWDS and NOISE. Not the Alii's fault, its just the nature of the beast in Kaanapali. Quiet Hawaiin getaways are not what you find there...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank maryChico
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Alii is situated right on the beach in Kaanapali, between the Westin and the Marriott Beach Club. The grounds are beautiful and kept up so well. There are two pools, one quiet pool and the other for families. The beach offers free chairs to sit on or covered lounge chairs for a daily fee. The units are very spacious. Very updated with granite counters new appliances. This is a great resort to stay in Maui.

Room Tip: The garden view facing the pools can't be beat. Also the ocean view is the best!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank diane32724
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#11 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!