“Spend the extra money and get all the extras”
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Spend the extra money and get all the extras”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Just stayed a week at the Kaanapali Alii. Sure, it is more expensive to do this than staying at other Kaanapali resorts. But the quality is well worth it. Plus, plenty of quiet, no crowds at the pool, big condo with privacy for mom and dad and space for the teens. Could not have asked for a better experience. A big plus for us was having the washer/dryer in the condo so we packed half as much as we normally haul on these type of trips. We always had breakfast and lunch (and cocktails) at the condo which saved a ton of money. It truly felt like home away from home.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the ground floor.
1 Thank Timothy53402

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Indonesian first
san francisco
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went here with my teenagers (13 and 15) last week for 5 days to celebrate my birthday. I thought it would be a good idea to get a condo so I could do breakfast and lunch informally (we usually just graze anyway) and go out to dinner at night. I was a little nervous because some of the reviews had some ugly 1970s decor pictures for the condos, and I'd never actually been here, so I relied on reviews. Last year I stayed at the Sheraton, but they don't have suites, and I wanted an actual bed for each of the kids. Anyway we get there at 2pm after a delayed flight where they misplaced the kids' bags, and I was in a bad mood. They said, the room wasn't ready and to come back at 3pm. It was very hectic at 2pm, so fine, we went to the starbucks, did a little shopping, came back, room was still not ready at 3 or even at 315. I think they saw my long face, so they said, well , they're still cleaning, but you can go in. I said fine,(I just wanted to crash on the bed, which I did!). Took my nap, felt much better, and once that was done WOW, it was a beautiful 2 bedroom Condo! the rest of the vacation was fabulous. the location was great, the concierge service was awesome, and set us up for all the activities we wanted (horseback riding, zip lining, surfing, paddleboarding, luau) OMG, that lady was awesome. Dining options abounded, the atmosphere was very family friendly without being overrun by babies and tots ( no offense! mine were that age too) and the teens were happy. My son says he wants to go back and bring all his friends!. I think we will!

Room Tip: Ask for one one of the newly renovated rooms.
3 Thank babysmomma
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We have enjoyed our condo unit here. We have a three bedroom, 2 bath unit, with a nice kitchen and living area. It has been so nice to have a washer/dryer in our unit, with all the beach activities going on. I have done a couple loads a day since we've been here since we have 2 kids (and we will be staying 7 days.) The pool is nice, and the beach is really great, and you are within walking distance of Whalers Village, which has some nice dining options and some up-scale shopping. My only complaint is that we don't get enough towels/wash cloths in our unit, so I'm doing those in the laundry too. This complex has a concierge where you can book outings and rent boogie boards and snorkeling gear and such (which is nice, because it is WAY cheaper to rent it here, than to walk down the path to find something else.) Overall, great place for families.

Room Tip: We got a ground floor unit, and it has been super easy for our kids (8 and 5) to just pop in and out...
3 Thank Liberty K
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed at this condo and the room was simply amazing and the location was great. So close to the beach and the pool was nice as well. The location was easy to find and was a great spot for a honeymoon but was also a great place to bring the family if you wanted as it was very family friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin
Reviewed 12 August 2013

With beach condos, it is always a little bit of a crap shoot and the Alii is no different. We saw three different units and there was wide variation in the level of renovations.

This property gets most of the important things right - the beach is great, we enjoyed being next to Whaler's Village, the staff was great and the room and grounds were very clean.

Where they fall short is in the actual units. Our first unit had unbelievably old furnishings. We'd paid up for an Ocean View room because "95% of them have been remodeled". Unfortunately, we got one of the 5%.

Once we were moved into a nicer room by a very pleasant bellman, there were still little issues. The beds were very uncomfortable but this was remedied by housekeeping with a couple of extra cushions for the mattresses. The AC unit was squeaking but they fixed this quickly by replacing the entire blower. As for the TV controls, we just gave up on figuring out the entertainment center & remote control.

I can't say enough about how helpful and nice the staff was but I also can't give it more than average overall because of the issues we faced.

Some other thoughts that might be useful for travelers looking at Alii are: great fitness facility, surf lessons adjacent to the property, great food choices at Whaler's Village and in Lahaina, the pool is a touch small and was crowded in the afternoons.

5 Thank bdjatx
San Mateo, California, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We fell in love with the Kaanapali Alii. The condo we stayed in was amazing. The location you simply can't beat. Beach access perfect, Pool was great not too crowded easy breazy all the way. We will be back next year for sure. We stayed in a one bedroom plus a den two bath condo. Our 15 year old stayed in the room and our 11 year old son stayed on the couch. The roll out bed we didn't care for. The large couch was fine for our son. The place is 1500 sq feet. There is plenty of room to sleep! My son loved the waves to body surf at the beach right in front of the hotel. The beach is wide and clean. The pool is right there, no brainer to go back and fourth. Many families BBQ in the evening. Wonderful atmosphere. Safeway is 5 minutes away, we bought groceries and the very nice and accommodating staff helped us carry our things in. Its a no brainer, book at the Kaanapali Alii and you'll have an awesome vacation. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We booked through a travel agent
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tricia M
Wellington
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had our family of 5 staying in a ground floor, garden view apartment which was fantastic for us. We had two spacious bedrooms and a mezzanine floor with a double bed off the main lounge. It was a very large apartment with modern appliances and furniture. I would definitely recommend the Kaanapali Alii. It is right on a great part of the beach which is not as busy as further down and the Whalers Village and other restaurants are close by.

Room Tip: Room 314 was a gem.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karori
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,933 reviews
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!